My Scamps 1st Field Day - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I proud to report that my little 13' Scamp generated more BUZZ than all the Ham radios working at our clubs field day last weekend.

We were W4GS, the 20 meter SSB station at the event. Heres a photo of our station in action...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ki4hee/detai...639.jpg&.src=ph

After extensively rennovating my Scamp since when I got it last Feb, this was it's maiden trip. Everything went smoothly, I had a blast & really enjoyed giving guided tours of the little trailer. I can't get over how universal the phrase "it's really bigger inside than outside" seems to be, that was what most everyone said when they steped inside. There was also a lot of wives nudging husbands saying "we gotta get one of these"...I'm thinking I gotta get a commision from Scamp.

I got a ton of complements about the hardwood flooring and the AC install, the things I did to make the little trailer working again, but mostly I got comments about how functional the Scamp is itself, folks couldn't beleave how well the little trailer is put together.

After the field day was over it was a snap to break camp, lower the jacks, swing the trailer around, hook up to my truck, and be ready to head back home. I can't wait till next years field day, and I can't wait to get the Scamp on the road again.

ConwayBob/KI4HEE
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Way to go, Bob! Sounds like you are an old timer at camping. Glad you enjoyed your Scamp. Yep, it seems to be the standard, "there is more room inside than it looks like there would be".

Get going and get in more camping.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Dawn and I have taken our Scamp to the Saint Paul Radio Club field day activites for the weekend three times. We have had a great time each time!

Each time our humble Scamp was left alone, and most of the folks that came to field day ignored our camper.

It sure was nice to have our own bed and bathroom for the weekend!

-- Dan Meyer / n0kfb
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I also am a ham but haven't been to Field Day in a few years. It's just too hot in this valley that time of year. I just mounted a classic Webster Bandspanner 80-10m fiberglass antenna on the back bumper of my Compact II and it works very well even though the frame is the only metal in the trailer. The antenna is older than the trailer, made in the 1960's I think but a fiberglass antenna just matches the look of the trailer. Mike WB6VGL
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Dawn and I have taken our Scamp to the Saint Paul Radio Club field day activites for the weekend three times. We have had a great time each time!

Each time our humble Scamp was left alone, and most of the folks that came to field day ignored our camper.

It sure was nice to have our own bed and bathroom for the weekend!

-- Dan Meyer / n0kfb
Hi Dan,
It helped to bring a crowd to the scamp's door in that all the trailers were set up to form 3 sides around a common area canopy. We shared generator power. We had two primitive sites operating QRP (battery power) off by themselves, but most of the activity was centered under the common area.

Last year was my first Field Day. I operated in a tent, in the rain. Seeing the nice, snug trailers & RV's made me vow to get a better set-up for the next field day, the little Scamp was the perfect solution...simple, compact, secure & DRY!

If you followed the link to the photo, you may have also seen some more of the photos in the album...we were set up next to the local Red Cross Center, the pine trees next to the building was where we strung up our dipoles and while we were simulating remote conditions, we were just minutes from a supermarket where we could go get another package of hot dogs. The local neighbors may not of cared for our generators running through the night, but it was for only one night. Next year I should be operating from battery/solar power...at least that's my plans for my next project...that and a screen door for the Scamp.

Anyway, it was a great field day, even made greater for me thanks to the little Scamp. It's parked now in my backyard...I'm in it now...it's my radio & computer room...my home away from home.

ConwayBob KI4HEE
Old 07-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
I also am a ham but haven't been to Field Day in a few years. It's just too hot in this valley that time of year. I just mounted a classic Webster Bandspanner 80-10m fiberglass antenna on the back bumper of my Compact II and it works very well even though the frame is the only metal in the trailer. The antenna is older than the trailer, made in the 1960's I think but a fiberglass antenna just matches the look of the trailer. Mike WB6VGL
Mike, I see you have encountered the only problem in 'glass trailers...No groundplane.

I'm using a Carolina Windom 80meter wire up in the trees for hf. I've also put in a bracket on the bumper that will take a 1 7/8" pole, and I've got about 20' of 5' sections of fitted pole that will serve as a mount for my UHF/VHF J-pole, 3 guy wires secure it nicely.

Whatever gets you radiating is fine.

ConwayBob
Old 07-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Nice screen room!

Yes, I love the "it's bigger on the inside..." comments too.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Nice screen room!

Yes, I love the "it's bigger on the inside..." comments too.
Thanks Gina, I got the screen room from wal-mart after reading about it on this forum...BTW I now see that wal-mart.com lists it as being out of stock, guess a LOT of Scamp Owners did the same thing.