Nearly home - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Nearly home

The final stop on our journey home.

Bluffton\Ft. Wayne KOA. Open but the office is closed. They have heater tape wrapped around the water pipes. I disconnected the filter and hose at bed time so I would not need to deal with a frozen hose for our quick morning getaway.

Currently 19F (-7C for the rest of the world) here this AM. Apparently, it is considerably warmer in Michigan where we live… 21F (-6C). Eeeeeeeeeeee.
Guess we should call Ubrrrrrrrrrrr.

Our previous 3 nights we were at the Kentucky Horse Park campground. WOW.
If you are prone to horsing around this is the place to be. The careful tour of grounds of the HP will take more than the 2 days we allocated to it! The horse farm tour and visit to the track was AWESOME!

The campground is nice and if it were warmer we would have stayed another few days with long paved bike/walking paths etc. The horse park is dog-friendly and only in the main museum were dogs restricted to the lobby. So we took turns walking through. All other indoor venues a carried dog was permitted!

We did make a bonsai run out of KY yesterday morning at first light with a light dusting of snow and much more on the way. We drove out of the snow band heading north on I-75 after about an hour and had dry roads all the way to the KOA.

Today we have a brief stop for brunch in Kalamazoo with friends then home by midafternoon. We learned that 4” of snow was dumped in the area over the past few days so a neighbor removed the snow and sprinkled ice melt on our drive so we can get down the hill with our Scamp. Once we unload our stuff into the house I will fire up the propane furnace set at ~50ish to keep the inside from freezing. The front transfer water pump has been winterized again with RV antifreeze so all should be good. Once it warms up it will be time to give our Scamp the end of trip bath and polish.

So far for this trip, we logged ~4,900 miles on our Flex and according to our fit bits walked 770 miles during our winter escape. Time for new shoes for me as the soles of my Asics are worn through. Our “New” Flex we bought in Georgia in late December 2016 will also need new shoes as we have ~23.5 K miles on her.
Not sure what I will look for but something perhaps a bit softer for less road noise will be a choice. Will carefully consider if we still want nitrogen filled or not. One of the TST pressure/temp sensors on our Scamp failed so I did a lot of manual pressure checking before we traveled along the way.
When we get our Escape 19 I will need to order a set of 4 so will have one spare.

No more traveling for us until June.
Cheers all,

Bat Dude and Co.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
great trip

great trip glad you enjoyed it. sounds like one of our European tenting trips traveling in the alps with a fiat 5000 loaded up with us and all our camping gear for a month.

glad you are home

bob

k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Kentucky Horse Park

Bat Dude, I'm glad to hear your trip is wrapping up smoothly. Thanks for the report on Kentucky Horse Park. We are considering stopping there on our upcoming trip to SC/GA.