New Hampshire and Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Smile New Hampshire and Maine

We are planning a trip in May to North Conway N.H. for a few days and then on to Camden Maine. Looking for information on campgrounds around both areas. We would prefer 'simpler' campgrounds like state or US forest campgrounds but are open to others. We have looked on the net but would like to hear about personal experiences or favorites. We are traveling with 2 dogs.

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
State and federal campgrounds in NH (probably ME too) rarely have electric and water hookups, and the federal campgrounds in the White Mountain National Forest do not have a dump station for septic. So, the would certainly meet your need for "simpler." I haven't camped in the Conway/N. Conway area, but I've camped in the national forest. You can camp at just about any one of the national forest campgrounds and have a nice campsite. Private campgrounds vary widely for quality, but most offer hookups.

I haven't camped that much with an RV in Maine. So, I can't offer much beyond my observation of 'no hookups'.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
sebago lake state park in maine is wonderful....with full hookups.

norm and ginny would be the most likely sources of good info on NH as that is their home.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There are numerous NFS campgrounds on the Kancamagus Highway. We like Blackberry Crossing because it is small, and only 5 miles from Conway. At least one of the campgrounds has showers. This is a good site for NFS campgrounds

Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

In Maine, Camden Hills State Park is right there. We have found things are quiet in Maine until end of June, beginning of July but be prepared for black flies and no see ums. If you are headed for Acadia, Lamoine State Park is just outside of there with nice sites on the bay. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Registry
In Maine, Sebago is a nice campground. I used to camp there before my trailer days. Beautiful lake and lovely beach. Sometimes hard to get a site. Reserve early.

Camden Hills State Park also has hookups, but I've never been there.

Here are a couple of links to help you assess private campgrounds, if it comes to that:

RV Park Reviews :: Home

northeast and 'new england' campground reviews and camping information at That's Camping™

There are only 3 NH state campgrounds that have hookups, Ellacoya, Hampton, and Cannon. Hampton and Ellacoya are much like an RV resort, side-by-side big rigs. I can't say what Cannon is like. The three that have hookups available do not allow pets. I'm a bit embarrassed by my state's parks and rec facilities. Otherwise, the mountains are beautiful. The coast is very short (17 miles).

Ron
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. Please keep the info coming. We will make use of them, if not this year, next year.

Sandy C
Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 1976
In maine near Ogunquit, we have been a lot of times at Dixons campground. See my report Dans le Maine » www.marcbarriere.com
Marc Barričre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
marc--nice website you have there! i enjoyed reading your reports of the gaspesie especially, since it's on my bucket list.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We stayed at Jigger Johnson Campground in the White Mountains, NH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2260.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	44952

Also stayed at Camden Hills SP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2206.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	44953

Both were very nice campgrounds that I would recommend. We had electric/water at Camden Hills plus Internet access.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Thank-you everyone who has taken the time to reply We are going to try a few of the sites particularly Camden Hills and Seawall in Acadia National Park. We will also try an NFS campground near North Conway. Just starting to get the trailer out of hibernation and to ready it for the trip in May.

Sandy C
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Which direction will you be approaching N. Conway from? If your coming over from Route 93 on the Kangamangus (sp ?) Hwy there are numerous places to camp and it is one gorgeous drive, My wife's sister lives just on the Maine side of N Conway in Fryeburg we may be in that area on our way to Camden Hills State Park for a rally. Someone mentioned Sebago Lake, if your traveling with a pet you can't stay there according to the State Park website. Are you going to be in Camden the same time as the rally, maybe we can get a bunch together for some lobstah hey what ??
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #12

Registry
William,
When is the Camden Hills SP rally? I don't see any info on the Rally Map. Can you offer any more info?
Ron
Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
The only thing I know is that there were only 3 sights left when we signed up and one of our NY friends snagged one of them, it seems that one other person was asking about it as well and had to settle for another Cg in the area. Do a search on here for camden Hills State Park in Maine and it should bring up something
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #14

I did a search for the Camden Hills rally and it is in mid July (around July 17 or 18 I think). We will not be able to make it then. We have to go late May or early June. So Bill, I guess we will have to try for brunch another time

Sandy C