niagra falls camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hello All,
Since we are planning on venturing up (from Long Island, NY) to Bolerama this summer, we thought a stop-over at Niagra would be nice.
Anyone with camping experience in this area? Either side of the border? (is one side nicer than the other?).
I can do a google search, but first hand knowledge is always better.
ALSO, what does one need to bring a dog into Canada (and back into the US)?
Thanks for any help,
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hello All,
Since we are planning on venturing up (from Long Island, NY) to Bolerama this summer, we thought a stop-over at Niagra would be nice.
Anyone with camping experience in this area? Either side of the border? (is one side nicer than the other?).
Thanks for any help,
Marjie

Last August we stayed at Riverside Park on the Canadian side. It was about 8 miles upstream from the falls. I was a little concerned that this would be a long drive to the falls, but we usually drove down the Niagara Parkway, which ran right along the river the whole length. It was very beautiful, had little traffic, and was quick. There is also a bike path that runs along most of the parkway, so if you're up to the bike, I'm sure it would be great. It is only a two minute walk to the river from the campground.

Overall, the campground was very quite. They didn't have games, or sing-alongs or whatnot, but that was okay with us. We just wanted a place to eat and sleep between seeing the falls and wineries. They did have a little general store and sold firewood and ice. There is a mini-golf course and a pool (which was a little chilly, even for August). The campground sits next to a farm, and the horses would come over to visit at the fence.

We stayed in site 13, which worked out great. Not to many cars going by and plenty of room for us. The owners were very helpful in selecting a site, so give them a call and let them know what you want. Sights 11, 24, and 25 seemed pretty good. 26 was a little close to the bathhouse for my liking.

The bathrooms were very clean and there was plenty of hot water. They also had washers and dryers which came in handy. An added benefit is they played some classic rock station very softly - nothing beats Stairway to Heaven during that 3 am bathroom visit.

Here is the sight:
Riverside Park

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions. I would definitely stay there again.

Todd
Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:

I think the [b]views of the falls themselves are nicer from the Canadian Side.

I think you'll find some good information in the link below:
Border Crossing Information
Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Riverside seems to be the place of choice among people from Ontario if they go to the Falls with their trailers according to another forum I am on.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hello All,
Thanks for any help,
Marjie
Hi: Marjie...We have had two wine gatherings in Niagara Falls. 07s was at the KOA on Lundys lane and 08s was at Campark(Good Sam) on Lundys lane...both in the city of Niagara Falls Ontario Canada. The only thing I find is its a touristy area so rates are high!!! Sorry I can't help with the dog issue but most campers had one. We had fiberglassers from Ohio, Mich, and New York among other places. Looking forward to meeting you at Bolerama July 10-12th.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I can't help with campgrounds.. but we loved the view from the American side. Canadian traffic can really be bad especially crossing over the bridge.

Here are 4 photos from the American side. We took the boat ride to the falls - that's fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4415.JPG   IMG_4436.JPG  

IMG_4390.JPG   IMG_4422.JPG  

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for any help,
Marjie
I'll address the dog part of your questions. We cross regularly with our dog. In fact, this past year more of our camping trips involved crossing the border than not.

Dogs over 3 months of age require proof of active rabies vaccination. The proof must be a certificate signed by your dog's veterinarian. Either the one year or three year vaccine is allowable and the certificate should indicate which was given. The certificate must clearly identify the dog.

Dog food entering the US (your return home) must be in an unopened package and not contain chicken, beef or lamb from Canada. Any made in America food is acceptable but must be in an upopened bag. I would ask at the US border before you enter Canada to ensure they haven't changed the food rules yet again on your way in.

Sometimes they check the papers and food. Other times they say hello to the dog and that's it.

If I were you I would keep a small bag unopened in the trailer for the return trip and have a second bag that you use while here. BTW- most American dog foods are available here.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Just read the rules for Riverside Campground. Noted that they have some breed restrictions in their rules.
(don't know what kind of dog you have)

See you at Emily. We'll be the ones with the Rhodesian Ridgeback)

Carol Ann
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #9

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York

Hello All,
So much useful information!
After some more research we decided on Riverside Park, (Thanks, Kent and Todd) and I spoke with the owner Gretchen. A very nice lady. And like you said Todd, very helpful. After telling her what we liked in a camping spot, she gave us T94.
Carol, the pictures are beautiful, thank you for taking the time to post them.
Carol Ann, yes I read the dog info. We have a mixed breed, and if you look closely you may see a breed in that face that is not allowed...but who really knows for sure?!
Alf, thanks for your suggestions too, yes we look foward to meeting you, and everyone else also!
Frederick, the border crossing link is great too, thanks.

OK, now anyone have a favorite site at Letchworth State Park?????

Marjie

Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
OK, now anyone have a favorite site at Letchworth State Park?????

Marjie

Glad we could be of help. If you get a chance, take a drive up the parkway away from the falls. I forget the details, but there is a beach up there somewhere that is not touristy and I believe there is an old fort up that way.

Now, for Letchworth, we had spot 605. This is a non-pet loop, so this may be an issue. I picked it at random, and it was great. It's a GIANT site. It was at least 30 feet wide on the front, 60 feet deep, and 70-80 feet wide at the back (sort of a triangle shape). Lots of trees. It was somewhat sandy, but I think this is common from the other sites we saw.

We could barely see our neighbors on one side, and didn't hear them. The bathroom was far enough away that we didn't hear it, but not so far that you were fully awake by the time you made the trek there and back in the middle of the night.

If you're interested, there's a rafting company that runs trips in the gorge right from the park. They were very nice, professional, and the price was reasonable. Total time was about 3-4 hours. When we went in August, the water was a little low, and there were no serious rapids, so I think everyone could enjoy it. You stop a couple of times to look at some falls and just hang out on a little 'beach'.

Their site is: Adventure Calls

Todd
Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #11

Trailer: Danzer (Cargo Trailer converted to camper)
a9c9718851a7339

We did some trips in the past but came to realize the cost of eating at the tourist sites was well beyond our finacial means. We then decided to instead eat outside the area and just come back to the sites. It worked also the wait was nothing as I recall some lines were two hours long.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 1992 13.5 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
Glad we could be of help. If you get a chance, take a drive up the parkway away from the falls. I forget the details, but there is a beach up there somewhere that is not touristy and I believe there is an old fort up that way.

Now, for Letchworth, we had spot 605. This is a non-pet loop, so this may be an issue. I picked it at random, and it was great. It's a GIANT site. It was at least 30 feet wide on the front, 60 feet deep, and 70-80 feet wide at the back (sort of a triangle shape). Lots of trees. It was somewhat sandy, but I think this is common from the other sites we saw.

We could barely see our neighbors on one side, and didn't hear them. The bathroom was far enough away that we didn't hear it, but not so far that you were fully awake by the time you made the trek there and back in the middle of the night.

If you're interested, there's a rafting company that runs trips in the gorge right from the park. They were very nice, professional, and the price was reasonable. Total time was about 3-4 hours. When we went in August, the water was a little low, and there were no serious rapids, so I think everyone could enjoy it. You stop a couple of times to look at some falls and just hang out on a little 'beach'.

Their site is: Adventure Calls

Todd
Hello Todd,
Referring to Niagara Falls - You are correct with the Fort but actually, there are 2 of them. One is in Fort Erie and yes, there are beaches that way - the other is the opposite way to Niagara-on-the-Lake. I'm not familiar with the beaches there and don't know which beach you are referring to but my guess would be that you are going Fort Erie way. That would be South of the Falls (to the right) where Niagara-on-the-Lake is North of the Falls (when you are standing on the Canadian side facing the U.S.) If you go left of the Falls to Niagara-on-the-Lake, you will pass many historic sights and arrive at a little town - where there is a Fort - that is the one of the most beautiful towns that I have been in. Very picturesque and mid - late 1800's; just a walk down the streets takes you back in time. You can even take a carriage ride through town. Check it out next time you are visiting.
Just a little more info on that area for our American friends.
Ron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Here's a pic I took while camping at the Falls in '07. One thing about camping there is minimal night driving to go "home".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
red_white_blue.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote