NL Caravan 2016 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #61

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Phones Heads up

We have been Verizon Phone users for decades and are considering switching at least one phone to T-Mobile.

First T-Mobile works in both Canada and the USA on the same plan.

Second we would get the 6 gigabyte plan. The Data plan also works in both the USA and Canada.

Third, In the USA you get unlimited data for Netflix, Hulu, Sling and others.

We plan to give it a try before our trip to NL.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #62

Florida
Brimstone Head

Google has been running a commercial showing Brimstone Head on Fogo Island, NL for a couple of weeks. Brimstone head is one of the 'four corners of the world' and is located adjacent to the Lion's Club campground on Fogo Island.

We spent a happy week on Fogo and climbed the 'Head', the core of a former volcano. The campground is located on the ocean and holds a music festival each August.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #63

Florida
Canada useful phones

I dropped my phone last night and shattered the screen.

I'v decided to get a T-Mobile phone because it works in Canada and the USA with the Data Plan is active in both countries.

The following from their add:

It's simple. Every qualifying Simple Choice plan comes with:

No annual service contract & no data overages Unlimited data even after all your high-speed 4G LTE data is used, at reduced speeds. Unlimited calls and text to and from any number, including mobile phones, in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. PLUS use your monthly 4G LTE data in Mexico and Canada like in the U.S., at no extra charge
With Binge On™ - stream unlimited video on the most popular streaming services like Netflix, HBO NOW, Hulu, and others for FREE without using your high speed data. Data Stash™ rolls up to 20GB of your unused 4G LTE data forward in to the next month, for use in the next 12 months. Included with our 6GB and 10GB options. Music Freedom™ with unlimited music streaming on our network from top services without burning your data

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #64

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
NL carivan

Hi Norm and Ginny, This thread seems to end in Jan 16. i went to Tucson in January and have not heard anything about the trip since then. I e-mailed you directly and did not get a response. Is everything OK? Barb
Barb in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #65

Florida
Barb,

Everything's grand. I'm finishing just completing version 2 of the NL Guide, aiming for month end. I plan to meet up with Dave who's also in FL to finalize our plans.

I did get your PM yesterday but it was our Park's annual meeting, sorry I did not get to you last night but thank you for contacting me.

I can't wait to get back on the road. We leave FL April 1st heading north. Our target is to get to NL around May 15th, ahead of the caravan.

The best way to reach me is via my private email and put NL Caravan in the subject or feel free to call me anytime.

Look forward to meeting you,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #66

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Hi
My name is Tim and my wife and I are heading North (from Georgia) in hopes of traveling through the Canadian Maritime Provinces late May into June. I got your "handle" from Butch Binder on the Casita group on Facebook. We have a 17 foot Liberty Deluxe and are currently on our last year of four years full timing. I have gleaned a little information about traveling up in that area but am looking for more. I have read a little about the ferry going to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I am thinking we may need to make reservations. One person even mentioned getting a bunk on one of the boats. I need to do a lot more research I can see. Any help you might be willing to give would be much appreciated. I am new to this site and forum so I am learning to negotiate but find it a bit confusing so far. I am glad I was able to find you. Thanks, Tim and Darlene
1Puremature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #67

Florida
Another Viking Site in NL

This one is not too far from the ferry landing.

Discovery Could Rewrite History of Vikings in New World

ABout 6 weeks and we'll be in NL....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #68

Florida
NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Puremature View Post
Hi
My name is Tim and my wife and I are heading North (from Georgia) in hopes of traveling through the Canadian Maritime Provinces late May into June. I got your "handle" from Butch Binder on the Casita group on Facebook. We have a 17 foot Liberty Deluxe and are currently on our last year of four years full timing. I have gleaned a little information about traveling up in that area but am looking for more. I have read a little about the ferry going to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I am thinking we may need to make reservations. One person even mentioned getting a bunk on one of the boats. I need to do a lot more research I can see. Any help you might be willing to give would be much appreciated. I am new to this site and forum so I am learning to negotiate but find it a bit confusing so far. I am glad I was able to find you. Thanks, Tim and Darlene
Tim,

If you send me your email address in a PM I'll send you our guide to NL.

There are staterooms on the ferry to NL. We've made 14 crossings and have never taken a stateroom. It's only a 6 hour crossing. When you send me your email address I'll send you all our info to allow you to more directly contact me.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #69

Florida
Tim to send me a PM just click on honda03842 in the upper left and select private message.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #70

Florida
More good news

Early Ice bergs

Early arrival of icebergs near Newfoundland coast | The London Free Press

https://www.facebook.com/NLIcebergs/

There have been years we've gone to NL and not seen any and other years where they were every where. Hope this is the latter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #71

Florida
It Begins... and T-Mobile

We've left our Escapee Park in Florida and are proceeding north towards Labrador. We should reach New England in a couple of weeks and leave from their around May 10th arriving in NL around the 15th, about a week before the rest of the participants.

We started with 23 rigs asking to join the Newfoundland Caravan. Not counting Scouter Dave and us, we're down to 7 rigs. We were told by friends from Adventure Caravans to expect significant attrition and it happened.

Of course Ginny and I are very excited about going, even if it were just the two of us. It remains our favorite place. There's a quiet and a separation from the normal world that makes it special to us.

Wishing all a healthy summer and fall.

By the way I mentioned earlier that we were considering trying T-Mobile as a phone service. Ginny kept her Verizon account and I purchased a Samsung Note 5 from T-Mobile. The phone's been great and so far the service excellent.

We purchased a T-Mobile because it has Data service and phone service in Newfoundland at no extra charge. Data service is available for Verizon but very expensive. As well T-Mobile in the USA allows unlimited down loading of Netflix and other streaming sources. We used it quite a bit in FL and found it worked well.

Though we've only been in FL and GA T-mobile has been available everywhere we've gone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #72

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Good luck with T-mobile I have heard they are good but they don't have great coverage. I don't have any experience so I am quoting what someone told me. We have Verizon. I have signed up for a new thing with them where you can use your phone in Canada and Mexico "like you do anywhere in the US" for two dollars a day. You are supposed to only be charged the additional two dollars on days you use the phone. As Paul Harvey used to say, "Stay tuned."
1Puremature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #73

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Puremature View Post
Good luck with T-mobile I have heard they are good but they don't have great coverage. I don't have any experience so I am quoting what someone told me. We have Verizon. I have signed up for a new thing with them where you can use your phone in Canada and Mexico "like you do anywhere in the US" for two dollars a day. You are supposed to only be charged the additional two dollars on days you use the phone. As Paul Harvey used to say, "Stay tuned."
When we go to Canada we get extended coverage for $12 a month with Verizon. This allows unlimited calls to the States and 1000 minutes a month in Canada.

The Verizon deal does not provide data/Internet. The concern is the Data and the reason for T-Mobile. As well T-Mobile has unlimited calls and unlimited texts to the states, no charge.

We'll see how the coverage goes as we travel to Canada. Of course Ginny always has Verizon.

Verizon certainly has great coverage. As we travel up the east coast we'll be away from the Interstates and will see how the coverage is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #74

Florida
Another day traveling with T-Mobile. So far a strong signal up the east coast.

We are going to purchase a small generator to take to Newfoundland, deciding between the Honda 1000 or 2000. Any comments appreciated.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #75

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
EU2000 is super quiet.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #76

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I'd go with the 2000 especially if you are thinking of using your microwave. The cost differential isn't much. It's like a tow vehicle , you may never need the extra power but it's nice to have if you need it. Now if all you want is lights, charging battery etc the 1000 is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #77

Florida
Microwave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
I'd go with the 2000 especially if you are thinking of using your microwave. The cost differential isn't much. It's like a tow vehicle , you may never need the extra power but it's nice to have if you need it. Now if all you want is lights, charging battery etc the 1000 is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Brian,

We don't have a microwave. Actually use very little power. We do have a 100 watt solar panel. I was considering the generator for the caravan for people who might have a CPAP.

Of course you know about our 4 cylinder tow vehicle....

I agree it may make sense to go for the 2000 watt. It would handle our home fridge in an emergency. Thanks.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #78

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I was surprised when you were talking about generators having followed your adventures for years! The 1000 is considerably lighter. I have the 2000 and 3000 at home (off grid) but never take on the road camping.. Like you we use very little and solar is sufficient.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #79

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Norm, don't you have an air conditioner? If you do wouldn't you need the 2000 watt?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #80

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Not in Nfld and Labrador!!

More likely to need heat than A/C.....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote