NL June 2017? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is a link to a great puffin video:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/..._Puffin/videos
Notice how they fly - no gliding, power stroke both ways. I like to think of them as scaled up hummingbirds. Also, they "fly" underwater.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #22

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks Paul. That was a treat.

Walt
Old 12-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Thanks Paul for letting everyone see these wonderful birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Here is a link to a great puffin video:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/..._Puffin/videos
Notice how they fly - no gliding, power stroke both ways. I like to think of them as scaled up hummingbirds. Also, they "fly" underwater.
: Now I do not have to look for those pictures and figure out how to get them up there again but when I do find them amongst the 100,000 pictures of the area and trailer I will try and load them up for all to see.
this was my wifes dream, And all I can say is the roads in NL are not all that good. The secondary roads are even worse and in most case worse than worse.
If we ever go that far east again well go from Quebec City drive the 550miles of the new paved Hwy through Labrador to NL in some ways much cheaper than that ferry when you take the MH, Tow'd over on the Ferry.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #24

Colorado
I think puffins are so cute that people here would still love to see your pictures!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #25

British Columbia
Paul, when I go on a road trip, I'm not afraid to take pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I think puffins are so cute that people here would still love to see your pictures!
: so I have thousands of beautiful pictures just ask Kai. Her computer cannot handle the amount I sent her.
We were just on Vancouver Island and got to see some of the winter storms next year well go later like in December for a whole week, but one never knows if it will happen or not.
A ship lost a bunch of Containers at sea and they were washing up all along the west coast in whole & pieces usually the cargo is long gone.
But I will look and see if Judy my wife can help me load them up on FGRV Forum for all to see, Where do it put them, as I only know how to load onto Trailer Referrals or Parts, possibly the chat forum or do you have a special spot.
Stude
Old 12-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Thanks Norm. Do you have any experience with the community campground in Elliston (Baker Memorial Campground)? Or have recommendations for other campgrounds in the general area.
I will respond,,, I need to look back. I recall a Municipal park near a beach and a Provincial Park on the water.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #27

British Columbia
NL and campgrounds, we stayed in one Camp ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I will respond,,, I need to look back. I recall a Municipal park near a beach and a Provincial Park on the water.
: then drove to the different locations from the campground we picked after 2 weeks of bad secondary roads we got fed up and decided to go back to NS as we needed a new Garmin and they would only deliver it to a house address and lucky for us we had Friends In Bear River, NS. We got to know Cape Breton and Nova Scotia better, such as Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, the Blue Rocks area, Digby, Yarnmouth and many other locations.
I will come across our campground and pass the info forward, we would travel to all our different locations from there sometimes up to 300km's a day.
Stude
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland Roads
There are some bad roads in NL, the two roads to the south coast, the Harbour Breton and the Burgeo roads are rough, however worth the trip for us.

The primary roads, up the west coast to St Anthony's and the Trans Canada hihhway across the island is very good as are most of the roads south of St. Johns.

It's not like driving the excellent roads of say FL. Most of our NL miles are not towing, we find a place and explore from there. We generally have a slow pace and drive accordingly.

We have driven every numbered road in NL and find them all a delight, there's just so much to see and do.

In life I seek new and different, sometimes that takes slowing down and looking about. One year I rode a bike to work over a road I used to daily drive, the bike ride resulted in a new appreciation of what was on the road. Generally we are not destination drivers, we don't rush between destinations hoping for a broader view.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #29

British Columbia
Roads and NL, I bet you don't take 20,000 pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Newfoundland Roads
There are some bad roads in NL, the two roads to the south coast, the Harbour Breton and the Burgeo roads are rough, however worth the trip for us.

The primary roads, up the west coast to St Anthony's and the Trans Canada hihhway across the island is very good as are most of the roads south of St. Johns.

It's not like driving the excellent roads of say FL. Most of our NL miles are not towing, we find a place and explore from there. We generally have a slow pace and drive accordingly.

We have driven every numbered road in NL and find them all a delight, there's just so much to see and do.

In life I seek new and different, sometimes that takes slowing down and looking about. One year I rode a bike to work over a road I used to daily drive, the bike ride resulted in a new appreciation of what was on the road. Generally we are not destination drivers, we don't rush between destinations hoping for a broader view.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
:yes we enjoyed NL to but I still like Cape Breton and Nova Scotia better. It is to bad a Vinyl salesman came to the Island and gave such a good price on Vinyl Siding that everyone has installed it on their homes now the bright colors of NL are gone but u cannot blame them as most live along the water where the wind blows all the time and in winter is real cold, the install this stuff with a layer of outside insulation stopping most of the drafts coming through the walls.
The part I loved the most about St. Johns is that real old fashioned Prison located right in the middle of the City.
Stude
Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #30

Colorado
There is one particularly rough dirt road that leads to the town of Conche, on the east coast of the Northern Peninsula, but it is worth the trip to see the tapestry inspired by the one in Bayeux (France). It tells a great story as well. Fortunately that road is relatively short.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #31

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Norm & Ginny I prefer Norm Time too, buuuttt am not the only person on this trip. I am not sure when or if I'llbe able to return and DHs anxiety over ...well, "nonstructured" times and events is immense. I am HOPING he will relax, but there is definitely going to be a learning curve here. I told you all how anxious he got this past summer on an overnight to tube the Ichetucknee River, right????

Gonna put a post on CHAT about how to wean a person from schedules and structure. Tips and suggestions welcome.

Labrador will be another trip, as well as returning to the Gaspe Penninsula, we travelled it last about 1960.

All suggestions welcome and thank you for reading. (Norm- pls check your calendar- did you mean Thurs the 15 or Fri the 16?)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #32

Florida
Since last posting I have learnt that the Portland to Yarmouth Ferry doesn't open till 6/15 so I revised itinerary to go up the Fundy side of New Brunswick stopping at Fundy National Park and Hopewell Rocks, then to Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail, then to Sydney and the ferry to NL- to Port Aux Basques, up the west coast to St Anthony Viking sites, then back and down the Fundy side of Nova Scotia with a stop to ride the tidal bore and then I'll do the Yarmouth to Portland ferry.
Told DH he needs to let his coworkers know we won't be back till July 3rd or 4th.
Yes, a big bite of things to see, but maybe I'll take a page from Norm and Ginny's book and be able to go back sometime.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You do know that Canada doesn't yet have electricity, I hope?
Old 01-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #34

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Done all that except the Yarmouth to Portland. You are in for the trip of a lifetime. I'm jealous.

Walt
Old 01-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #35

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You do know that Canada doesn't yet have electricity, I hope?
No, but they have gas stations for the generator.

Actually Glenn, you're not that far off. I understand many of the provincial, federal, and municipal campgrounds lack hookups.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #36

Florida
Wonder if I could get an extension cord a couple miles long??? ;-)