No Cod at the Cape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
We drove from NJ to Provincetown towing the Burro with our '92 Explorer this past July. Camped it at the Sandy Dunes (clean, nice, close) for $27 a night (reserved months earlier, before gasoline prices exploded) ....no hookups needed, and had a truly happy stay. But yes, we brought with us everything we thought we'd need to keep expenses down. Took 7 hours from Jersey.

Our old Explorer four-wheeled it on the National Seashore and that was superb, well worth the $50 fee for 7 days, plus having to buy required safety stuff we didn't bring, (who knew?) for in case you get stuck in the sand (and we didn't.) Shovel, big tow rope, etc etc. Driving onto the National seashore cannot be beat, even if you don't intend to surf fish. There's a lot of it up there. We didn't fish, but seems everyone else does.

Wonderful beaches, pet friendly, etc. Got my tan, snoozed and read and picnicked on the beach, rode my bike all through town, and in general totally enjoyed every aspect of being on Cape Cod.

Ahh...with one exception ...my need for a fresh fish. We couldn't find a fish to bring back and cook on our campsite barbie! Well, at least a fish we felt was reasonably priced, that is. Sure, they're findable, even if you won't catch your own, but-- the prices!

You would think being right in the heart and soul of fish country you could get a fish right off the docks when the boats come in? Forgettabout-it! Those babies get unloaded already packed in containers for the trip to distant markets! That one fish store we found on the docks charged as much as a gallon of gas in Europe.

Finally settled for a fish and chips shop, but even that cost a whopping $11 each! Sure, you do get plenty of potatoes. Call me delusional but that smacks me flat in the head!

OK OK, but even with the fresh fish disappointment, it was a great trip. Burro towed well, got my 14.4 mpg. No worries. Wonderful wide open spaces up there, big sky, isolation, friendly people, a great, fun, get-away place of peace and tranquility. Bring or catch your own food, though. We'll be back to camp on the Cape again, even if the drive back home was horrible, heavy traffic, 12-hours long on I-95, that miserable road.

Think I'll bring a pole next time. And, some one really should do something about Connecticut.
Attached Thumbnails
CapeCod023.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Even with no fish, it sounds like you had a GREAT trip. (Next time pack a can or two of tuna in the trailer )
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Oboy.... I better get new glasses. It was actually the Coastal Acres Campground where we stayed, not Sandy Dunes.

Been called the big tuna myself, Donna. Here's a picture of our site, which was not far from the main building. The sites are no larger than they need to be and potable water is readily available. Our Canadian neighbors heard me ranting about needing a beer because of the lack of a decently priced fish and came right over with an armful, asking if I preferred Canadian or American. Of course, I chose the Labatt.

Trip totals: 884 miles, 65.47 gallons of gas (ok so that's really 13.5 mpg, but we did a lot of 4-wheeling in the deep sand.)
Attached Thumbnails
CapCod089.jpg   CapCod161.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote