NoCal Recommendations: Crescent City to Yosemite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Utah
NoCal Recommendations: Crescent City to Yosemite

Looking for recommended camping locations for travel between Crescent City CA/Grants Pass OR and Yosemite NP. State or Federal campgrounds preferred.
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltenes View Post
Looking for recommended camping locations for travel between Crescent City CA/Grants Pass OR and Yosemite NP. State or Federal campgrounds preferred.
Thanks.
Close to Crescent City CA there's several National Forest campgrounds. About 30 miles south is Prairie Creed State Park in the Redwood National Park. Prairie Creed State Park since it's inside the National Park the National Passes are honored.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
One of the best federal campgrounds on the planet is at Cave Junction, on the road to the Caves.

DO NOT miss the Samoa Cookhouse in Eureka

The Shell station in Fortuna CA has a free dump station

Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park, just south-east of Fortuna is a small, but delightful "Old School", state park in old growth Redwoods, that dates back to Adams time I think. A real delight...

Campgrounds in the Redwoods tend to fill in season, but there are often spaces at the Rockefeller Forest campground, near Scotia, CA

Under no circumstances should you miss driving "The Ave of the Giants".

There are several c/g's in the Santa Rosa area, but avoid the ones near the Russian River, esp on weekends, as they become party sites.

I believe the county fairgrounds in Santa Rosa also has RV overnight parking.

Don't plan on anything near SF... They are very packed and the one private one in Pacifica Is very expensive.

State beaches near Half Moon Bay sometimes have openings, call ahead or make a reservation on the web site.

There are several National forest campgrounds near Yosemite, a big one is on the road to Hetch-Hetchy. If you don't have reservations in advance, finding a spot in Yosemite proper is very, very chancy unless you go up to the high country.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Del Norte is one of my favorites. It's way off the highway and very quiet, deep in the woods.

Grizzly Creek is nice, but close to the highway. Road noise on week-days was pretty evident when we were there last year.

Prairie Creek has a herd of elk. Never stayed there, though. It's well off the highway.

Standish-Hickey is nice, also a little close to the highway. It's close to Avenue of the Giants.

We stayed at Richardson Grove this last summer for one night, didn't like it at all. Partying kids were noisy, and the showers and restrooms close to us were kind of seedy.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltenes View Post
Thanks.
If I was just spending the night I would stop at Madrone Flats just on 199 just before Crescent City. It's very pretty Forest Service campground. If wanted to spend a couple day I'd go to Prairie Creek. There's lots to see including the elk herd, the US's tallest tree, a quaint visitors center. It's off highway 101 on a loop that returns to 101. We stayed there for 4 days in July.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
California
Right now, except for Thanksgiving and the two days around it, there is room to camp at Yosemite. I'm going down Monday and Tuesday this week, no problem booking a site.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here are three suggestions for the northern Redwoods.

Howland Hill Road/Stout Grove - Originally a wagon road linking Crescent City harbor with inland gold fields. Rather than cut the large trees, the 19th century road builders constructed the road around each tree. Very beautiful. Easily, one of the most impressive drives through a redwood forest. The 1/4 mile loop trail at Stout Grove is a must see. Note that Howland Hill Road is open to one way traffic only (from east to west) and trailers are not allowed. You can park your trailer at Jedidiah Smith State Park Campground or day use area.

Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park - US 101 was rerouted around this state park to keep truck traffic out of the trees. Now, traveling through the redwoods on the old US 101 (renamed the Newton B Drury Scenic Parkway) provides a much more peaceful experience for visitors. Camp here. From your campsite you will likely be able to observe the social antics of Roosevelt Elk in rut from late August through much of the winter. Take a day-long hike on the trail from the campground to the beach at Fern Canyon. Before you leave home you may wish to rent the the Jurassic Park sequel "The Lost World". Much of the movie was filmed in Prairie Creek where it runs through this campground and at Fern Canyon. You can also drive a car to Fern Canyon on Gold Beach Road, but there is restriction on trailer lengths allowed on the road. Check out the live redwood tree behind the visitor center which can hold 120 sixth grade students inside its large and hollow center.

Lady Bird Johnson Grove - Great short loop trail through the redwoods. Not sure if trailers are still allowed on the access road.

As always, stop in one of the visitor centers at Crescent City or Orick - park rangers always know the best places to go. Check out the NPS webpage at Redwood National and State Parks (U.S. National Park Service) for current weather conditions and seasonal road closures.
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #8

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Utah
Many thanks!

With all these great recommendations, my trip planning has taken a big leap forward. Looking forward to checking out many of these places. Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Name: Antonia
Trailer: Scamp 13" and Fleetwood Neon
Virginia
Registry
About 4 years ago I made a cross country camping excursion using a tiny pup tent. I stayed at Del Norte state park just south of Cresent City, and I was in all. Very nice. I would stay there again. Come to think of it I lost a wonderful Swiss Army knife there.
Antonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
M_C

Name: Mike
California
Late suggestion

I am surprised nobody mentioned Patriks Point.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ask any true Native Californian about that campground and they will tell you that either it's been closed due to the budget, is infested with mosquitos, or that all of the earthquakes in that area caused it to slide off into the sea.

That (name unmentioned) park is on the "California Campgrounds for Californians" list on the well hidden "California Natives Forever" web site. The CNF is the only entity authorized to issue California Passports to those natives of the state.

If Mike holds such a passport the Passport Posse will soon be at his door demanding it's return for transgressions.

Actually it is open, doesn't have mosquito's, and hasn't fallen into the sea, yet. But there has been a recent problem there with Sasquatch Family Reunions getting out of hand. Seems they were offended at a visitor with their popular nondeplume on it's side....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
These are off highway 5 vs. 101 but Mt. Lassen volcanic NP, and Lake Shasta are nice. Further south from Yosemite are Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
M_C

Name: Mike
California
If you are in the area of Mt. Lassen, MacArthur-Burney Falls State Park is great place to stay.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco