Norfolk and Long Beach (Ontario) Conservation areas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Norfolk and Long Beach (Ontario) Conservation areas

We spend last two weekends on the shores of Lake Erie in Norfolk and in Long Beach Conservation Areas.
Both of these are just a short drive (just over 100 km) from our home in Mississauga. Never relay visited the area before and we were hoping for a nice sandy beaches and warm water. Well, warm water it was but the beaches were a disappointment.
In the Norfolk Conservation Area the beach was totally washed out. The shore was a narrow strip of gravel and mud. The campsites were so-so. Our site with water and electricity had no water. Area's washrooms were... lets say rustic. Thankfully we have a porta potty so it wasn't much of a problem. Most sites are taken by seasonal campers. Most visitors and seasonal 50+ years old so, it was quiet and rather clean. The campground as a whole, nothing special. Not bad enough to avoid but not good enough to recommend as a must go there.
Long Beach Conservation Area was a bit different. Washrooms in better condition but we still opted for our own. Beach better but still no sand except for a strip of beach just east of the Conservation area. There were many younger people using seasonal and transit sites and music could be heard from many places till about 10 PM but it wasn't offensively loud and it all got quiet so I think the rules are enforced. All in all, the campground did look better than Norfolk but, it was more the matter of location than the campground itself. Again, nothing to really complain about but also nothing to recommend.
Other than camping itself, we really enjoyed a drive through the countryside. It was worth the trips just for that!
Few pix below - couple in infrared.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-08-20_17-29-20.JPG   Img_2011-08-27_15-16-03.jpg  

Img_2011-08-27_15-28-09.jpg   Img_2011-08-20_17-29-40.JPG  

Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
So Andrew, with all that you've done to mod/fix the trailer... did it meet your expections during this trip? I've said it before, but I love the colorful interior!

Thanks for sharing the too cool pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
It all worked very well but will be changing few things through the winter.
Will be adding a vent at the bottom of the door - as it is, the trailer is sealed too well and when in outdoor storage, there is no place for colder air to come in so, with just the roof vents open, it's like a baking oven.
Planning to make a hatch to access under bed storage from outside.
Possibly paint the outside (off) white. The colour we have is a bit too dark.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I though by glancing at the pictures that you ran into snow!

The outside hatches are a great addition, we find them very convenient!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I though by glancing at the pictures that you ran into snow!

The outside hatches are a great addition, we find them very convenient!
Infra-red pictures do look like that. Maybe that's some Canadians like them

To access the storage under our rear bed the mattress has to be lifted. Not very convenient and plenty of perfectly good storage space is wasted. We cook outside so, we plan to use it, after installing the hatch, for pots and pans and BBQ. Not heavy stuff but rather bulky and inconvenient to store anywhere up front.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia
Hi Andrew, I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your GPSNuts website before.

...lars
lars is offline   Reply With Quote