Northeast camping and kayaking and a dog - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Northeast camping and kayaking and a dog

I just got a recommendation from a friend about a campground in Maine that has water frontage sites and allows dogs in the off-season. It sounds wonderful to be able to camp, spend time with my dog, and pull the kayak into the water from the campsite. I am definitely going to try to book a campsite when reservations open in January.

That got me wondering if there were other campgrounds that people had tried and loved in the northeast. Of course one could drive to a spot and off-load the kayak, but how wonderful it would be to have an early morning coffee and then pull the kayak into a quiet river or lake for a morning paddle.

Anyone have recommendations?
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Can you share the name of this ideal location?

I'm having a difficult time finding places that allow dogs and allow camping in the off season.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:48 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Registry
She stayed at two different spots in the same campground, both times in a waterfront spot. https://www.mountdesertcampground.com
Old 10-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Oh Poo, they are closed for the season.

That's exactly what we've been experiencing.

It's strange that when we lived in MN we could camp all year in state forests and national forests, but here in MA, 99% of the places close early to mid October. :-(

Here's our very first camping experience in our 1977 Scamp (this is 2011) in MN the day after Christmas.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/grFmg1T9oL1s6FTB6
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2505.jpg   IMG_2509.jpg  

Old 10-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Registry
I can't remember if I was reading a post or watching a YouTube video, but the person was saying that in New England most campgrounds close mid-October or offer primitive (no water) until the end of October and don't reopen until late April or May.

I think you need to look south for November to May. I have put the cover on mine and started planning for next year instead.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:37 PM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
There are private (KOA and others) campgrounds in New England that are open in winter; I expect they cater to snowmobilers and skiers, e.g.
Listing of Campgrounds and RV Parks Open All Year in the Northeast - NY, VT, NJ, NH, ME, MA, RI, and CT

We just spend a few days at the Mohawk Trail State Forest Campground, on Rt 2 in the Berkshires. They close this weekend for RVs, but they do keep their cabins open all winter. This may be true of other State facilities.

Some State Parks in Pennsylvania are open year round, including two we stay at sometimes (though not in winter): Promised Land, off I84, and Locust Lake, off I81.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:09 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In New Hampshire, WMNF Hancock campground near Lincoln is open all year. Last time I checked, Blackberry crossing near Conway was still open as well.

In the GMNF, most of the campgrounds are still open according to their website. Unlike New Hampshire, these are not plowed.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gmf...64897&actid=29
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #8

Massachusetts
Thanks for all these lists.

I'll be trying some of them out this fall and I'll post photos/experiences!
Old 10-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In New Hampshire, WMNF Hancock campground near Lincoln is open all year. Last time I checked, Blackberry crossing near Conway was still open as well.

In the GMNF, most of the campgrounds are still open according to their website. Unlike New Hampshire, these are not plowed.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gmf...64897&actid=29
Blackberry is open till the end of October then shuts down for the winter.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #10

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
There are a lot of waterfront campsites at Golden Beach State Park, NY on Raquette Lake, and a few on Eighth Lake SP a few miles away.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
I just got a recommendation from a friend about a campground in Maine that has water frontage sites and allows dogs in the off-season. It sounds wonderful to be able to camp, spend time with my dog, and pull the kayak into the water from the campsite. I am definitely going to try to book a campsite when reservations open in January.

That got me wondering if there were other campgrounds that people had tried and loved in the northeast. Of course one could drive to a spot and off-load the kayak, but how wonderful it would be to have an early morning coffee and then pull the kayak into a quiet river or lake for a morning paddle.

Anyone have recommendations?
Sharon; if you do that Spring Fling rally at the KOA in NH, there are a few sites right on the water. They are probably booked already though. It's just a pond there as I recall. We did get one of those water sites one time, but it wasn't during the rally.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #12

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
I am more curious as to what kind of kayak you can fit yourself and your dog in at the same time. I take my brit with me in a canoe but wind can pose a problem, particularly since the dog refuses to paddle with me.

Art
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:19 AM   #13

New York
In the Adirondaks we have been to Fish Creek Pond SP (actually a lake) which has most sites on the water. No electric hook up but great kayaking when you go up the creek that comes in at the boat launch. No motorboats allowed up in there. Rollins Pond campsites are accessed through Fish Creek and many sites there are on the water.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
As Bob says both Fish Creek and Rollins have numerous sites on the water. There are hundreds of sites which in my opinion makes things a bit of a circus. BUT both lakes are connected to the St Regis Canoe area, perhaps the best quiet water paddling in the east. For a few bucks you can buy a map showing the myriad of interconnected ponds and portage locations between each. You can paddle all day and never cross the same pond twice. And despite the crowds at the campgrounds, only a fraction paddle the ponds. It's common to find yourself sharing the pond with only the loons. The map is widely available in the area. Any of the outfitters, bookstores, even the local quick stops have them.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:34 PM   #15

New York
Raz; we had gone to Fish Creek a few times for the Tear Up rally. One time we were up in a narrow section of the creek from the boat launch, and a loon had her nest right where we had to paddle by her. She swam out and started pecking on our kayaks until we got past. The campground can be a circus and the sites are all next to each other with little or nothing dividing them. Haven't been there in a few years now.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:47 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
One year we made it to New Brunswick and stayed here.....lovely cg.
https://www.parkadvisor.com/ca/new+b...oquois+RV+Park
Old 02-15-2023, 02:01 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae6black View Post
I am more curious as to what kind of kayak you can fit yourself and your dog in at the same time. I take my brit with me in a canoe but wind can pose a problem, particularly since the dog refuses to paddle with me.

Art
This is a good point. I haven't done it yet myself, but the women I know who do use a sit-on kayak or a stand-up paddle board.
Here is a shopping guide buyer beware.

https://paddlingspace.com/best-kayaks-for-dogs/