Northern Florida and Panhandle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Northern Florida and Panhandle

We are in the planning stages of a trip down south, in order to make a break from the New England winter, probably close to three weeks duration, leaving here beginning of March. We would like to explore the Panhandle coast, and I am looking for campsites and points of interest recommendations. Should I make camping reservations in advance, or can I wing it?
Thanks in advance.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
From what I saw at campgrounds last year I would suggest that you make a reservation. I left at the end of March and there were very few empty sites on the campgrounds that I drove through.
And, I think most members will agree, in season, it is always wise to book ahead when you can. My reservations for Dec. through March are already booked for the Santa Rosa Beach and Destin areas.
Good luck. SD
Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We travel the panhandle every year toward the end of February to and from Sebring.
We have never gotten reservations for the panhandle but our experience has been that during the winter in Florida, the further south you go the more you need reservations. My guess is that March may be a little more crowded in the panhandle than February and as the weather warms up, reservations may be more important.

It also depends where you want to go. IE...St.Andrews or St. George may not be to hard, but Henderson beach could be a problem.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I'd recommend Eagle's Landing RV Park . Its cheap, clean, all sites are pull-through 100' long. Wifi access is $1/day.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
For some general points of interest in that area:

There is/was a nice Naval Aviation air museum at the Pensacola Naval Air Station (Pensacola, FL).
(When I was there before, there were PBMs and PBYs along with many other WWII types.)
http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34550-d258659-Reviews-National_Naval_Aviation_Museum-Pensacola_Florida.html

Just west of Pensacola is the Gulf Shores State Park. It has camping and public beach pavilions that serve food
(hot dogs & hamburgers?). The sand on the beaches is white and is so fine that it squeaks as you walk on it.
There are fresh water rinse-off stations near the beach pavilions.
http://www.alapark.com/gulfstate/camping/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30582-d617671-Reviews-Gulf_State_Park-Gulf_Shores_Alabama.html

Just west of Gulf Shores is Battleship Memorial Park (where the US Alabama battleship and a submarine are anchored).
http://www.ussalabama.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Memorial_Park
http://www.gulfshores.com/details/uss-alabama-battleship-memorial-park/38/
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=battleship+alabama+memorial&qpvt=battlesh ip+alabama+memorial&FORM=IGRE

Wishing you safe travels!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
March can be Spring Break weeks and campgrounds fill up. We are local here (North Florida) and still go but must be flexible picking up a site/night here and there. It has been my experience that a shorter rig is a definite plus in some Florida campgrounds. The shorter sites appear to be the last to fill up. Coastal campgrounds of course fill up fast but Florida has some really nice interior campgrounds as well. For hiking Torreya SP has some of the most rugged (change in elevation) hiking in Florida and we also like Falling Waters SP if you luck out and it has been raining some so the "water fall" is flowing nicely. St. Joesph SP has one of the most beautiful beachs anywhere and we were able to book a solid week last year in May because our little Scamp fit in a smaller site even though I waited late to make a plan and get reservations.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Fort Pickens national seashore - Pensacola Beach
Blackwater River state park - Pensacola area
Big lagoon State park - Pensacola
Florida Caverns State park - east of pensacola
Suwanee River State park - near I-75
Topsail State park - Destin
Grayton beach State Park - east of destin

These are all great campgrounds. Make reservations through reserve America
Old 11-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Colorado
Great input, I appreciate it very much,
Paul
Old 11-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Winter is almost over by March 1. We're heading south before thanksgiving. Last year in late November we did a few nights at Fort DeSoto Florida which is on the west coast, then up to Henderson Beach SP. We spend the winter on the coast of GA.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
The panhandle is a great place, but can be much cooler than southern Florida. (especially last winter)
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
I agree with trumpetguy about Ft. Pickens. It's our favorite - try to reserve in loop A.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm jealous. Then again I'd hate to miss mud season. No state parks open between here and Delawre that time of year. You might find a private campground open?? I'm not sure what part of the state you are in, but we are just south of Barre. Lums Pond State park in northern Delaware is open year round and we can get there in a long day. I prefer to go on a Sunday. It makes passing Philadelphia and Wilmington easier. Have fun. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

New York
We have done the NJ to Delaware to Bay Bridge / Tunnel into Virginia route. Prefer though to go over to I 81 in PA and some other routes to get to the coast of GA. On our way back north a couple years ago in early March we stayed at a private campground in southern NJ. After we decide on a route I'll then take my campground books and make a list of the campgrounds that are open. When we are on the road we will decide how much farther we want to go that day, look at the list of campgrounds and call for availability. Many of us snowbirds are heading back north in early March. In Delaware Trap Pond may also be open all year. We did an overnight there Thanksgiving day a couple years ago.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
In Delaware Trap Pond may also be open all year.
I think you're right. Killens Sate Park as well.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
St. Andrews

We loved St. Andrews park in Panama City beach
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I'm jealous. Then again I'd hate to miss mud season. No state parks open between here and Delawre that time of year. You might find a private campground open?? I'm not sure what part of the state you are in, but we are just south of Barre. Lums Pond State park in northern Delaware is open year round and we can get there in a long day. I prefer to go on a Sunday. It makes passing Philadelphia and Wilmington easier. Have fun. Raz
Oh yes, the mud season, our fifth season of the year. I'll miss it too. We are in the middle of the state, between Killington and WRJ. The first and last days of our trips are usually long, so I am pretty sure we'll find a campground open somewhere in northern Virginia, along I81. We'll try to stay west of the big urban areas. Maybe even swing as far west as Bennington,NY.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #17

New York
There are some open near Winchester and stauton Va. On I81, and some on 66 or 64 which ever goes over to Fredericksburg.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dunn View Post
I agree with trumpetguy about Ft. Pickens. It's our favorite - try to reserve in loop A.
Ft. Pickes campground is it - just made reservation for March 18-25, site A5. The rest of the time we'll go without reservations and visit places on the way down and back up.
Thank you all!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
We loved St. Andrews park in Panama City beach
Hi: Chris Z... We're going to be there for a couple of weeks in Mar. What are some of the things you did?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Don't miss visiting the Naval Air Museum at NAS Pensacola. Best in America plus you might catch the BlueAngels at home. March can be cold and windy here so dress accordingly. Plenty of surfishing, and the old Fort Pickens to explore. Downtown Pensacola has a terrific historical district (Old Seville) with some buildings from the 1700s. Plus an excellent restaurant, brew pub scene. Joe Patti seafood is a good stop for fresh gulf shrimp.

Pegleg Petes on the beach is a great eatery. Flounders a bit touristy but still good. If theweather and seas cooperate take a Dolphin cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV