Northern Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Northern Maine

We stayed at a pleasant campground on our way back from Prince Exdward Island in Harrington, ME, Sunset Point Campground.

Beyond it's beautiful location, 3 miles off Route 1 looking down at the bay, it is the only campground we've ever stayed in that charges by length of your rig. It was about $20 for rigs under 22 feet.

When you arrive you can order cooked lobsters and clams, delivered to your rig for the evening meal.

As well, the next town of Milbridge has a movie theater, an amazing $4.50 for first run movies; this month Transformers, Harry Potter and Captain America.

The campground only has 20 sites; all the better.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Gee whiz, I'll have to get a list of these recommended campgrounds from you for when we return to Maine/Nove Scotia. We haven't been there for quite awhile and it was before our camper.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Web page Sunset Point Campground - Home | Campgrounds Maine Coast | RV Parks Maine | Recreational Vehicle Camp Sites Maine
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Florida
Interestingly there is another Sunset point campground in Maine, a little further north near Lubec, ME. It bills itself as the eastern most campground in the USA.

Rates / Amenities - Sunset Point RV Park

Lubec is another one of our old haunts from the days when we considered retiring to Maine. Lubec is the primary gateway to Campobello, FDR's old summerplace.

Norm
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Gee whiz, I'll have to get a list of these recommended campgrounds from you for when we return to Maine/Nove Scotia. We haven't been there for quite awhile and it was before our camper.
Another interesting campground is Camden Hills State Park, just a few miles north of the town of Camden, ME. They now have sites with water and electric. W have not personally stayed their but our son has and enjoyed it.

Camden has a nice harbor where the tall ships come in every weekend. This is a cruise trip worth taking; it's hard to beat cruising thru the Maine costal islands. Day cruises are also available. We have not taken the week long cruises but have tons of friends who have and many are repeat customers, offering an RV quality escape from the every day world. We have taken a couple of day cruises and the rush of sailing stays with you.

Norm
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Norm and Ginny,

Thanks for all the information. I've been collecting the campground data you've given. I'm writing it on my map. I don't know when I'll get back there but I'll surely have plenty of nice campgrounds, with personal recommendations, to choose from. Keep them coming.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Another interesting campground is Camden Hills State Park, just a few miles north of the town of Camden, ME. They now have sites with water and electric. W have not personally stayed their but our son has and enjoyed it.

Norm
I remember Camden well. Four of us celebrated a birthday by taking a short sailing cruise there once. Once we even went up into Cambden Hills SP but been so long, I don't remember a campground... but.... at the time we weren't camping so maybe so. Sure would be a good location!! Keep 'em coming.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #8

Florida
Chris Z,

The park hs 30 miles of hiking trails on about 10 square miles. It also has an auto road to the top of Mt Battie, giving great coastal views.

Camden Hills State Park - Camden Maine Sightseeing Attractions
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Last year, we spent a month or so on the Canadian side. Returning to the US thru Lubec, we intended to camp in Acadia, but Bar Harbor (and Acadia) were so crowded, we succumbed to culture shock, and moved on to Lamoine State Park, on the bay, near Acadia. We were very happy we did. So much more relaxed, just a few miles from Bar Harbor madness (cruise ships in town, tour buses, etc.)

We'd love to check out Camden next time north. It sounds wonderful.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

Florida
Hopewell Rocks, NB,

If any one is going to Northern Maine, it's an opportunity to go up the road to the Bay of Fundy. One of our favorite places is Hopewell Rocks, a real opportunity to see the tides. The following video shows the tides at Hopewell.

We usually stay at Ponderosa Pines, a rather interesting campground if you take a hike behind the campground. The early settlers built a series of dikes to create farm land rather than cut trees down.

We also like to go to the Alma Inn, right on the water with hummingbird feeders on the windows.

For camping there is also Fundy national Park just before Alma. Rt 114 down to the is really steep so be aware. As well the road up to Cape Enrage, Rt 915 is very steep and really not a trailer road. (915 runs parallel to Rt 114 and is a worth while ride in your Toad.

Safe Travels,

Norm
Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
<sigh> It's a full 6 days by van with trailer to get from San Diego to Syracuse. Northern Maine is a whole couple of days (or 3) farther. By the time I pay off my debts so I could retire to have the time for that trip, I'll be too old to drive.

Such beautiful country...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #12

Florida
Six Days to Syracuse

Six days from San Diego to NY is very impressive.

We're doing a loop of the USA this year and plan to return home from Seattle, leaving Seattle around June 20, 2012. We're thinking if we stay at it, driving each day that we can make it in 20 days from Seattle to NH (3000 miles, 150 miles a day).

As to retirement, it costs me less to travel then to stay home. Actually we could travel for a lot less money if we we had to. If I add in the stress of being home, travel is far better for me.

I admire the people who founded Escapees, I believe they became fulltimers in their 40s.

Norm
Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I am looking forward to visiting Maine and vicinity. I don't like crowds or big cities, so I'll probably wait till retirement (another 15 years or thereabouts) to see the eastern seaboard. Then I can come during mid-September, when hopefully it's less crowded and the fall color is showing, and take my time through the whole area. Maybe work my way south with the changing leaves.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'd second the recommendation on Ponderosa Pines. Nice campground. Bigger sites with fewer services. I bought some Bay of Fundy Scallops (frozen) that we enjoyed several months later (pan-seared with balsamic glaze), and brought back wonderful memories!

The drive to Cape Enrage really isn't bad without a trailer behind. Parking wouldn't be really great if you're towing, either, so make it a side trip while you're camped. However, the views are beyond wonderful, and the little restaurant in the old lightkeeper's house is delightful. Limited, local and fresh menu, and a real treat.

Hopewell Rocks was a "bucket list" visit, and quite fascinating. Took two visits (included in the ticket) to see at high and low tide. Wow! We also caught the bore tide in the river in town on the way out, and the reversing river in St. John. Quite the tidal focused trip...

The people in New Brunswick were wonderful hosts, everywhere we went. We had a grand time, and felt right at home. We'd love to go back... soon!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote