northern travels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Well, I am a day ahead of schedule.. so far ahead.. that I am now on home soil in Oregon. Not QUITE to Bandon yet.. tomorrow morning will put me there .. I hope.. all of reserve america and recreation.gov seems to be down.. won't know if I have ressies or NOT!

I left a day ahead of schedule sort of.. left on Thursday afternoon as I was all packed and I had actually planned on doing that Friday.. traveling on Saturday.

Spent Thursday nite in Bakersfield at a county park (Kern River Campground) and did so for free.. not by sneakiness.. they just don't have an Iron Ranger, and I wasn't there at the times the patrol came around.. arrived late, left early.. seems a dumb way to fund the park.. but..

Arrived at Caswell Memorial State park, and I must say, it's the nicest park I have never stayed in They were very nice, but had no space for a non reserved.. they DID help me with getting a refund for my ressie I had the next nite.. and I moved on to where I knew I could get in..Stockton KOA. I thought to check out the county park across the road first tho.. and there was plenty of space.. 10 bucks.. and 105 degrees, but I was glad to stop. Westgate Landing on hiway 12, right on the San Joaquin River in the Delta is a no hook ups, no frills park with all pull thru sites and has a nicely manacured large lawn, large sites and a BIG corn field to look for Toto in. I was tired, and rested under the few tees in my site, in the shade, while the dogs panted and didn't feel like walking at all.

About an hour before sundown, the wind came up and cooled it off.. we retreated to inside the trailer, where I read by solar charged light.. my battery was FLAT!!!! Had to shower with the car running just to get the water pump to run, but an ice cold shower after the heat all day felt good. When I woke up, 1/2 the tents were gone.. the wind was pretty wild, so I suspect they ran.

I picked up a new battery in Santa Rosa and then...

On northbound to Lake Mendocino Army Corp of Engineers Bushay campground. After the nice experience with Caswell, and the surprise relaxing park in the middle of nowhere.. this place was sheer hell. They were kind enough to swap my ressies, so getting in was no problem, and they used my prepaid fee, but the sites are packed in, and there seems to be no control.. there were dogs off lead, running everywhere.. I had 4 pitbulls next to me, and folks walked thru my site.. not on the edge, right in front of the trailer.. to get to the john. A little girl was walking a LARGE pit Bull mix which she let loose of when it lunged at one of my dogs.. he nailed my dog hard.. fortunately, there were 3 guys that got him off ME and my dog. (My dog was not hurt) I then gave the kid AND her Mom a tongue lashing.. Mom defending her dog and kid all the way, no apology for the attack, (You know the type.. child is perfect, so is the undernourised un nuetered dog) so I called the ranger in.. The park ranger did nothing but talk to them, tell them to stay out of my site and the keep the dog in thiers ... they lied to the ranger saying my Beagle attacked thier pit bull while all three guys that pulled the pit bull off mine told him what REALLY happened..any other park I have been in that would have been automatic ejection.. but this park did nothing.. They get a big fat ZERO for a rating. Never again. (The Mom and kid walked ALL the way around the loop to get to the bathroom tho.. that was somewhat satisfying, as everyone near me gave them a rash of heck every time they walked by.. shamed into submission LOL!)

Headed out early just to get out of there before the morning tromp to the johns started. WAS headed to my next ressie, Del Norte Redwoods.. and I managed to get there just fine, and early.. they had plenty of sites, it looked like a nice park...but ... I just wasn't ready to stop driving.. wanted to get out of California.. NOW. So.. I looked and booked...

So, here I am at Harris State Beach just north of Brookings Oregon, in a full hook up site.. with.. my heater running LOL! What a contrast from the last few days of 100+ heat.

The lady at the booth cooed over my trailer, telling me she has a Boler so she HAS to let me in....LOL! Anyway, She put me in a nice site that is isolated and there is plenty of room for the pups. This is actually the first physically comfortable relaxation I have had since leaving.. not to hot.. smells nice, it's quiet.. everyones dogs are behaved (Even mine LOL!) and folks stop by and say "Hi".

I love Oregon.. can I just stay home now? (Let me give everyone my bosses phone #.. make up an excuse as to why I should stay and still get a paycheck...)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Gina,
Welcome back to Oregon, even if only for short while.

See Ya Wednesday.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #3

Registry
I am so bad.. while walking the dogs, I even stopped to talk to a slug..

it was not impressed. It just lay there.. and bubbled.

sigh.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Great story Gina, it sounds like you are having an interesting series of adventures. I have no patience with unleashed unmannered dogs and owners. Ok...that DOES sound like I believe owners ought to be leashed too but honestly ...most don't.

Keep on persevering Gina, and keep the stories coming. Slugs and all....
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I love Oregon.. can I just stay home now? (Let me give everyone my bosses phone #.. make up an excuse as to why I should stay and still get a paycheck...)
Do you think your bosses would open the Oregon Branch of the company and let you be in charge?
\
Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Do you think your bosses would open the Oregon Branch of the company and let you be in charge?
\
Vivian
I will gladly phone your boss and explain how the Pacific Northwest is like a natural supplement or reduction-of-harm-drug that is required for some employees who have this need/addiction/disability.... the Employee Assistance Program should be applied!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I love Oregon.. can I just stay home now? (Let me give everyone my bosses phone #.. make up an excuse as to why I should stay [b]and still get a paycheck...)
Can't kick your money addiction, eh?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
See.. the funny thing is...

when I started with the company 22 years ago.. it was IN Oregon... sigh..

No, the food addiction is the thing, Freddie Boy..

OK, made it to Bullards! I am not driving another mile LOL! (And Fred.. this site is LUMPY!! The roots have gotten worse.. leveling was a REAL pleasure)

I am happy and have yakked with many of the early arrivals.. Donna attacked me with her bike, there are a lot of white trailers here..

The park was great when I called this morning to try to get in early.. they held my site for me even tho they didn't have to.. I told them where I was and when I would be there.. they were great!

Cooking dinner now after much walking and talking. Eric and Lorn fed me a nice seafood lunch! Hit the spot and now all I have to do is get my tacky awning lights up!..

Tomorrow will do.. tonite, relax!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]I am not driving another mile LOL!
So... You're letting Sticky drive home?
Quote:
(And Fred.. this site is LUMPY!! The roots have gotten worse.. leveling was a REAL pleasure)
Does that mean I can have that site back next year?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #10

Registry
I am not quite sure you will want it.. it really is quite bad for the lumps.. MUCH worse than it was last year.

Not quite sure why they let it stay that way.. this is the only site like this.

Other than that, it is doing what I wanted it to do. Sticky was hidden and the fuss was kept to a minimum. He had the whole area where Robert puts his tent to run and play in.. but..he is at the dog hotel now. Kitty is doing fine here with me, so I guess she can stay.

I feel naked without a dog, and Buddy isn't here yet
Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #11

Registry
and.. now.. the sad "Back Again" has started. I still have nearly a week before my mean vicious employer expects me to be back to work..(How RUDE)

I made it across hiway 42s and 42 to I-5 southbound. Hiway 42 is beautiful, starting from Bandon and following the Coquille river in a very pastoral drive. It then goes into classic Oregon mountain territory and onto the thriving metropolis of Roseburg. I went slow to enjoy the view and was not rushed by any zippity do das behind me.

I wanted to see Wolf Creek Campground near Sunny Valley, Or (Duh.. and Wolf Creek). Having a lunch datewith someone that lives in Suunny Valley, this seemed a good plan (Lunch got canceled ) It's a county campground in a nice forested area.. BUT.. despite the water and electric at most every site, the sites were even lumpier than B 21 at bullards and not very trailer friendly. It was also virtually deserted except for a couple little girls playing in the creek. Not even a ratty old tent was there. In a dark hidden area, I did not feel real safe, so I went farther south to Valley of the Rogue State Park.. the hippest state park in the system

Actually, its 3 large round loops with full hook ups, and is the State of Oregons answer to RV parks. It is very nice, I stay here a lot. The eastern border is I-5, which makes it a popular one nite stop over park for huge motor homes. I actually waited in line about 15 mins to get checked in (No ressies for me.. drop by) but they gave me the same spot I had in 2005 when I was in that horrid rain storm that flooded Oregon (Yes! Really!) and Northern California. 20 bucks, full hook ups.

This time, I am using my air conditioner and not my heater The Beagles also have LOTS of company.. there are 4 sets of them here.. The Beagle parents all have met and compared notes.. and traded sedatives...

I haven't decided if I will stay another day or trek to Dunsmuir. As hot as it is.. the 395 thru the desert idea got nixed right away. I usually go there in winter.. and I forget that it's called "Death Valley" in the region for a reason

oh well.. we'll see if I am off to do more
Old 07-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Interesting! Please continue.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #13

Registry
I am in heaven!

There is a "Theme" RV park in Dunsmuir California, just south of Mount Shasta City.. it is a railroad museum of sorts.. privately owned and "Cute", small and very clean.

It is Rail Road RV Park, Hotel and Resort. It's a spit from I-5. The view of Castle Craggs from the enterance up by the hotel, which is all coverted rail cars, is outstanding.

I am here for a place for my trailer tho, and I have never actually SEEN the RV park part. MUCH to my delight and suprise, it is very beautiful, much like the most remote forest service campgrounds you have seen.. but with all the junk you need to make use of your rolling egg. I have full hook ups and cable TV (Which seems a pity in this setting) at 30 bones a nite.. peak season..

My site is on a ridge. The whole campground looks just like that.. a campground in the forest. There are a few pull thrus in the middle, the rest are back in and rustic, and VERY pleasant.

Here is the view from my front door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rrparkfront.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	9126

I have sat outside all day, under the trees staring at this small rushing creek and done nothing but listen to it's rush. This is Bigfoot country, and I think I saw him across the way, on his way to get beer at the gift shop down the road.

While in the campground, you would never guess that there is a freeway or "resort" with ponds and a resteraunt just down the road a 1/4 mile or so. It's so peaceful and tranquil in here.

Here is my isolated site from down IN the river (Yeah, I got my feetsies wet.. so did the dogs!)

Name:	rrpark2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	9127

and the view out my back window

Name:	rrpark3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	9128

I would LOVE to stay here another day, but the site I am in has a reservation on it. sigh.. time to move on in the a.m., but I will definitely make this place (And site) a specific destination again on my travels to and from Portland. It would also be a GREAT vacation spot! I really could not be happier with my choice for the nite!

In the morning, I will try to get pictures of the Craggs. The sun was behind them when I arrived, and the shots would not do them justice.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Gina, sorry we didn't say something about Sunny Valley to you as I watched your travels here on the FG net. We use to have property there in Sunny Valley. Aunt Mary sold out & the new owner turned it into a strip club. The camp went to hell in a hand basket about the same time. Next time stay at Indian Mary camp ground it’s on the Rogue 14 miles off I-5 ext 61 Merlin. Cool on the hot days.

Boy it’s hot here today . Got to go, school for dogs tonight. See ya later, Lee
Paula Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #15

Registry
Paula, I knew about the former KOA that is now "Overflow" for the strip club after hours I never stayed there when it was the KOA, but it looked like it was OK at that time. Anyway, I wasn't talking about THAT campground.. Josephine county has a campground at Wolf Creek, just behind the Inn.

I am edging closer to my cabin. i am back at Caswel Memorial.. this time, they had space.. It's and OK campground.. the nice folks are still here, but other than that, it's your basic California State Park. I have on of the few spaces long enough for a trailer.. and my rig fills it from trailer bumper to Jeep grill.

I did a LONG haul today (For me with the dogs) and just don't care really, as long as it's quiet and safe. It is..it could be OK i winter.. it has several sites with direct river access, and the river is cool.. but fast running. Neither I or the dogs went in.

I am so tired I didn't even fill my fresh tank.. too far to the bib and I just don't feel like bringing out the hoses. Tonites dinner was Top Ramen and pickles no dishes to wash!

It's HOT.. what can I say, it's central cal. it gets that way in July. It's buggy too. I am sequested in the trailer.. with excellent TV reception. Thank the stars!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
[quote]My site is on a ridge. The whole campground looks just like that.. a campground in the forest. There are a few pull thrus in the middle, the rest are back in and rustic, and VERY pleasant.

Here is the view from my front door.

Attachment 9126

Wow. Gina, that is quite a nice site! Looks very serene.

I've been enjoying reading about your adventures
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #17

Registry
It's almost over.. last nite, and I am in Bakersfield again, only this time in a non descript RV park in an Orange grove.. so I can do my laundry, clean the trailer up and be able to simply park it at home tomorrow and forget about it for awhile.

Last nite, I was in Hanford, and enjoyed the hospitality of Lisa M. I driveway camped. She cooked a fine fried chicken meal, and gave me a little tour of the old farming community, a true picture of americana we rarely get to see due to the remoteness of it all.

We went to a good old fashion Ice Cream parlor and enjoyed a HUGE scoop of fresh homemade ice cream (And hot fudge, of course)

My children suprised me and got on wonderfully with her big dog.. Sticky fell in love. He is sitting here all mopey and pining.. mumbling her name.. to no avail.

Thanks again Lisa!

BTW, I am wearing clean jeans! Yay!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #18

Registry
and back again...

trailer is all clean and tucked away at it's normally "Camping" place at the Bugling Beagle, my small cabin in the mountains.

2056 miles round trip, and back to work tomorrow.

Today I traveled across the mojave, asking myself all along "What are you doing HERE?" (I don't like the desert) but I did find a free range Beagle run in Boron, a small park across the street from the 20 mule team museum. (Yes.. they really do have such a thing )

It also never seems to amaze me, that in all those miles, through desert, mountains and coastal territory.. and on a few of the most brutal passes on the west coast...the actual toughest driving bit for me, and the rig, is the last 12 miles home.. and the hardest site to get into is my own driveway. Not because it signals an end to the trip.. but.. because it IS mechanically and geographically the most brutal part of the trip

I will calculate the damage in a bit and post.. but here are some general impressions of my first truely LONG LONG trip with the 17/Jeep combo

Jeep performance (1-10), an 8.. it was very comfy and capable for my combo.. sway bar was a great addition, the wdh was flawless and my back doesn't hurt after driving all those miles.

It lost two points due to the milage.. at first lance, I averaged 11-13.. ouch.

Burro.. It got a 10.. nothing failed but a battery, and that isn't unique to Burro. All systems worked when I needed them, and worked well, I was comfortable, clean and rested each nite and I have the system down now for a 15 min set up and strike.. when I am concentrating on it.

btw, Oregon scales put the axle weight at 3k, (Loaded.partial black tank) that was with 2 quicky runs onto rural scales.. I was with the wdh and did not do the tongue weight.. just a quick drive by.

sigh.... I wonder what DOESN'T work at work? I am sure I will find out in the morning.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #19

Registry
Just for grins.. I played accountant (And I didn't spend the night in a Holiday inn last night)

Total trip cost was 945 bones. That included: (Don't get geeky, I rounded)

Gas ($489)
Camp Fees ($322)
Dog Boarding ($127)
Propane ($7.19)

It did not include: (Because I would incur these costs, trip or no..)
Food (I did NOT eat out, not even once.. tho I bought some 'spensive crab at Bandon to have a nice meal out of at Bullards with friends)
Dog Food (They didn't eat out either)
Laundry
Household supplies (I should subtract because of all the nice Kimberly-Clark gifts!)
Auto routine maintenance (Tires, brakes and the usual checks/changes)
New Battery for Burro (Which will be used after this way more than it was used just this trip)

Average MPG = 13.42

I am quite pleased.. I came out at $500 LESS than I estimated, low end. My trip 2 years ago during the winter on an almost identical route and schedule.. was $1000. $55 MORE than this one, but I went a little farther, boarded the dogs longer, and partied in Portland with Donna (She isn't cheap!)

If I had stayed home and worked, I would have spend approx 1/2 as much on gas commuting. I would have spent WAY more on utilities ($7.19 to cook, heat/cool and heat water for 2 weeks I am moving into the trailer full time!)

One day, when I am really bored, I will calculate hotel/driving and flying/rental car/hotel against trailer and equipment purchase. I suspect I will have paid for the trailer and equipment by the end of the year at this rate....
Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Gina, thanks for sharing your trip with us who are stuck at home and just WISHING we were out on the road with you. That campground looks magnificent, and has prompted us to stat a list of campgrounds we intend to stay at — and that one's on the list for sure. Also, it's interesting to read about your list of expenses for two weeks. Keep it up and you'll be able to shuck that money addiction and full-time in the burro.
thanks again
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote