Nova Scotia this summer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did the Trail in a clockwise direction, and that's what I would recommend for someone pulling a trailer. In a clockwise direction, you have one less steep grade to climb, as one of the 3 main mountains of the Trail has a shallow grade on one side that is easier to climb.

Depends if you prefer a steep descent or a steep climb. I was more worried about transmission temperatures going up than brake temperature going down, so I picked the easier climb!

Carl
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Guys I have to say how much reading your advice has been a pleasure. I'm ready to take off and I don't even have my camper yet. Your willingness to be open and share advice and experiences is terrific! Thanks, Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #23

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I use two or three RV sites for information...this site is always the best with knowledgeable veteran campers always willing to share advise.
Keep up the good work....I'm taking notes for our trip!
Many thanks.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
I was on the trail last July on one of the hottest days ever...over 90 degrees and had to stop twice to allow overheated brakes to cool for 1/2 hour each time! Also found folks to be driving too fast many times. Locals told me it was other locals who knew the roads very well and were not interested in sight seeing!
But my real tip is having lunch at Neil's Harbour Chowder House. Great location, rustic restaurant, and the best chowder I may have ever had! And I live in NS.
It is a marvelous trip.....enjoy.
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Oh, and may I add that the ocean side primitive camp ground in the park called "Corney Brook" is small (with no potable water BUT flush toilets , no showers) , is quite nice . It has a staircase down to a pebble beach and great night star gazing.
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just to give you an idea of the grades along the Cabot Trail.

If you start on the north side at Cheticamp, you're at sea level and the first significant climb is French Mountain. A twisty climb on the side of a cliff, the scenery is breathtaking and that's where most of the nice scenic pictures of the Trail are taken:

Next you ride the mountain tops for a few miles, until you get to Mackenzie Mountain. This will be a steep descent that will bring you back to sea level at Pleasant Bay, with tight switchbacks, and a few lookout spots where you can park, look at the scenery, and let you brakes cool a bit!

A few miles past Pleasant Bay you'll start going uphill again. This is Cape North, which you have to climb then go down the other side. I think this climb is the longest and steepest. Towing my 2500lbs popup with my minivan, this is the only climb where I had to downshift to 1st gear for the last 1/2 mile or so, as it was running out of breath in 2nd gear. Its a l-o-n-g climb. A soon as you finally reach the top, you start going down the other side. The initial descent is very steep, you feel it's like 45deg down! But then the grade tapers off as you get lower. But still, quite a long and steep hill. Also couple lookouts to stop and look at the beautiful scenery.

The last mountain is Cape Smokey. Coming from the north, the grade uphill is rather shallow, no big deal. However the downhill part is very steep and twisty:
Here's a couple photos:

So those are the 3 major hills of the Cabot Trail.

(Needless to say I didn't take any of these photos myself, I just found them on the web.)

Carl
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Go through New Brunswick and take your time. Lots to see in NB! And don't just stay on the highways, some of the small villages along the coast have some good sites to see. For good food try Comeau's Seafood in Penfield NB. Then take the loop though Dipper Harbour , Maces Bay, Lepreau(my old stomping ground). Saint John has the old city market, Martello Tower, some nice parks including Irving Nature Park. Fredericton is a very nice city but a bit off your path. Also you could take in the Maritime Vintage/Fiberglass Rally in July.

Have a great trip any way your path takes you!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #28

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Carl V, Great pictures...can see why such a drive would be better without my 26ft Travel Trailer in tow!!! Once my back doctor is done injecting steroids in my aching spine I hope to hook up the TT and hit the road!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote