Nova Scotia trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Nova Scotia trip

Hello from Fundy National Park in New Brunswick, where I cannot believe I have wifi. The morning is cool and misty, the way it was yesterday, and I figure that's fairly standard for a morning. Yesterday it burned off and I had a spectacular day getting sunburned at Hopewell Rocks. Amazing.

If you want more details on the whole shebang so far, the bear and moose I saw on the road, being attacked by black flies (and the cats getting into the spirit of trying to swat them, which I have on video), and the mods I made before I left, my blog is Adventures in Scamping.

But I'm halfway through this solo trip from Minneapolis to Nova Scotia and back in my 13 ft Scamp, with two furballs whose idea of "roughing it" is a Super 8. I had some stressful driving as I came across Ontario and my standard of hell has a new definition (Montreal, in the rain, in the road construction, with road signs in a language I don't know), but I feel like I've regained my road mojo. I'm off to PEI now for a couple of days and then I'll start my Nova Scotia sojourn with Cape Breton.

A couple of campground reports: I've had magnificent experiences at the various provincial parks I've stayed (Kakabeka Falls in Thunder Bay, Driftwood in Deep River, Mactaquac in Fredericton, N and Fundy National Park is likewise beyond my expectations. I'm going to aim to stay in the Cabot Trail Provincial Park in PEI, but then I have no plans. I stayed in two private parks, one of which was a decent nightmare (outside of Thessalon, ON) with no water running in the bath house, but to be fair, it wasn't entirely their fault. And Camping Transit outside of Quebec City was nice enough, if you like being stacked in like cordwood next to a major highway. The interesting thing about the weekend at Camping Transit was that it seemed to be a rally for the Federation Quebecois de Camping et de Caravaning, though I never got to ask anybody about it. But there was a 16 ft. Scamp a few rows away, with Quebec plates.

It's the weirdest thing, having no real itinerary--which is something I've never done before and it's actually caused me more stress than not (chalk it up to being a solo woman), but so far, it's worked out pretty well. Weather Channel says that it's probably going to rain the next three days, so I'm glad I brought my rain boots in addition to my coat. I'm also hoping I'll run into a grocery story or a Walmart to stock up on food that can be cooked inside the Scamp. I used my brand new induction cooktop for the first time two days ago and it was magical.

So, if anybody has any suggestions for where to camp in Nova Scotia, let me know. I'm hoping to come down around Halifax (could use a recommendation around there) and then over towards Annapolis Royal/Digby and I would like to find a centrally located campground so I can do day trips instead of hauling the Scamp around.

Happy travels, all!

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
campground in Halifax

Hi Karen, There is a city campground on the outskirts of Halifax that we stayed in a few years ago. It was very nice. About a 5 minute walk to the bus to take you downtown. At that time there was a bus that toured around most tourists sites and would let you on and off at any of them Extremely reasonable price too.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
It's called Shubie Campground.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Karen,

So glad you're having a successful trip.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Hi Karen. Read some of your most recent blog posts and enjoyed them. Your English teacher background certainly shows in the quality of the prose.

We visited the Canadian Maritimes a few years ago and loved the area.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
My word, what a great blog! I just sampled a bit here and there. Wonderful stuff. Our 3 boys complain to this day about their mother and father dragging them to rural cemeteries looking for ancestors. Nowadays you can pretty much do it from any computer.

Unfortunately I'm at work, but will be back to your blog as soon as I can. Enjoy!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Karen glad you are enjoying your trip.
Don't know your time restraints but July 30 to Aug 4th the city of Halifax hosts an international Busker Festival all along the water front - runs all day and into the night. These are not your average on the city street buskers. Pretty fun and interesting event. They also have a movie night down on the main pier thats fun to attend - bring your own lawn chair. Halifax also hosts a pretty good Jazz Festival - normally in early July.

Of course the town of Lunenburg is a must stop but the Lunenburg region itself is wonderful. I think one of the nicest beaches in NS is Hirtles Beach and also in the area are the Blue Rocks and the Oven's natural park which has camping all worth driving to and spending time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #8

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Question for this lady or anyone else who has traveled to Canada in a camper. How difficult is it to take a pet? I gather she has cats. Can dogs be taken into the country? I would assume you would need documentation about rabies vaccination. But do they allow it if you do have such documentation? Thanks. Does US customs give you a problem about bringing such dogs back into USA?
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Ns

Klahanie Kamping in Aylsford, NS. (Valley Area)
Ian Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
blog

karen--i just finished reading your entire blog....and thoroughly enjoyed it! reading about places that i know, places i've been but seeing them thru another's eyes was truly wonderful.
i hope your return home was uneventful. even though you hadn't spent as much time in the scamp as this trip required, don't you find, now that you are home, that you wish you were still in it?
that's how i feel whenever we return....i love our little camper, it truly is OSOKOZY, and as soon as we pull into our driveway, i long to be back in it, camping again.
thanks for a great read!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
Question for this lady or anyone else who has traveled to Canada in a camper. How difficult is it to take a pet? I gather she has cats. Can dogs be taken into the country? I would assume you would need documentation about rabies vaccination. But do they allow it if you do have such documentation? Thanks. Does US customs give you a problem about bringing such dogs back into USA?
Melanie it is the same requirment as in the USA - the dog needs a current Rabies vaccination & you need to carry the certificate for the vaccination. In my experiences of 18 years of crossing the boarder frequently each year with dogs the odds of actually being asked for it are low going in either direction. It can and does happen though. If you don't have a certificate you will be told to turn around and get the dog vaccinated regardless of your own country of origin or which direction you are heading.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #12

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Carol - thanks for the information. It seems reasonable that proof of rabies vaccination would be needed. Now I just have to convince my DH that we NEED to go on such a big and long trip in the Lil Snoozy. I am going to get him to read the blog of this lady to see how much fun it would be. Thanks again to you and others who answered.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Thanks, everybody! Yes, it's very hard not to be in the Scamp, though I got used to a queen sized bed fairly quickly. There's so much I saw and so much I didn't, that I've definitely got enough incentive to go back and poke around again. Maybe by the next time, the provincial parks in Nova Scotia will have electricity? Yesterday, I opened one of my precious bottles of L'Acadie Blanc and it tastes like sunshine, one of the rare days of sun I had in the province. We're hitting triple digits today here.

I think I get one more short trip in a couple of weeks, to Itasca State Park (headwaters of the Mississippi). My parents and I convinced my niece (who's four) into taking the trip with us. I can't wait. C.'s a hoot.

On the subject of the cats, I had no problems with them crossing the border in either direction. Had more scrutiny over whether or not I was transporting firewood (I wasn't, I knew better). But I had their most recent medical records with me and I'm glad I did.

Happy trails, everyone!
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #14

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Graves Island PP now has serviced sites! It just opened back up two weekends ago. Haven't been there yet this year. We love our provincial parks and can't wait to see them from the perspective of egg campers next year. Heading to one of our favorite little ones this weekend still as tenters.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
Graves Island PP now has serviced sites! It just opened back up two weekends ago. Haven't been there yet this year. We love our provincial parks and can't wait to see them from the perspective of egg campers next year. Heading to one of our favorite little ones this weekend still as tenters.
Boy, thanks for the tip. We're thinking about heading for Halifax next July 4th weekend for the International Gathering of the Clans, and that looks like a very cool place to camp, and only about an hour from Halifax!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #16

New York
Here's a video I found of Graves Island PP:
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #17

Nova Scotia
Here's the map of the upper campground which has the serviced sites which are indicated by the circles. The triangles are unserviced sites and, at least they used to be, are the wooded sites. Diamonds are walk-in sites.

It looks like the video is older as the office has now moved down the road a bit to be by the lower campground. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406812236.357258.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	74268

Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #18

Nova Scotia
There are a couple more that have serviced site loops. Two are in Cape Breton and one is a hop, skip, and a jump from here. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406813196.994467.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	74269Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406813207.994169.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	74270Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406813219.143429.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	74271Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406813239.067393.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	74272

Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #19

New York
this is where we want to camp for a week maybe...

Parks Canada - Cape Breton Highlands National Park - Cape Breton Highlands National Park of Canada
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #20

Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia trip

It's kind of funny that I'm NS born and bred but I've never stayed there. (I've driven through but never to stay!) And I've been camping since the day my parents strapped my car seat in their canoe! Plus I used to compete in Highland dancing and spent a heck of a lot of time in CB.

For the last few years, we've really been into supporting our provincial parks as they're always threatening to close or reduce services in one or the other.

If you like canoeing, Keji is our other national park.