Obx 2013 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Obx 2013

Landed in Frisco, N.C. yesterday afternoon after a night in PA. and one in VA. Sites are on a hill side. Not many folks here so we got one overlooking the ocean. Took Molly for a walk on the beach this morning. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-2165567678.jpg   image-2252108689.jpg  

image-77199339.jpg   image-2564487395.jpg  

image-4290073363.jpg   image-845827403.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I like the matching truck. Nice spot too
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I know you were chomping at the bit to get out of Dodge as soon as it warmed up. Glad you are now in sunshine.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Looks like a great spot!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #5

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Looks like a great spot. Are the noseems bad. The little Gnat like bugs that bite
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Looked at pix felt like I should see the Wright Flier. You ever fly kites on the beach, Raz? Big box can be rough to hang onto without a big spool or surf reel.
Jean showed me your dragon scarf, Maggs. Pretty impressive. Woofwoof to Molly.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Name: Cindy of Greg/Cindy
Trailer: 17' Lil Snoozy
Outer Banks
Hey P. Raz!
You're in my neck of the "ocean" - did you see me wave as you drove by????
If you have time, you should catch the ferry and check out Ocracoke! There's a campground too - the showers are basically outdoor showers that have an enclosure around them and a pull-chain (unless they have been upgraded).

Ocracoke is worth the 40 minute ferry ride - the quaint little town is 14 miles of seashore from the ferry docks - approx 800 year round residents. Great coffee shop (Ocracoke Coffee).

have fun!
islandgir
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
Looks like a great spot. Are the noseems bad. The little Gnat like bugs that bite

No bugs. It's unseasonably cool but we've never had a bug issue hear. Ocracoke is a different story. Mosquitos the size of vw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Looked at pix felt like I should see the Wright Flier. You ever fly kites on the beach, Raz? Big box can be rough to hang onto without a big spool or surf reel.
Jean showed me your dragon scarf, Maggs. Pretty impressive. Woofwoof to Molly.

jack

Kites. Years ago. If you like kites, you could spend hours at Kittyhawk kites. Didn't stop in Delaware this trip. Late leaving VT so we ended up north of Scranton. Not sure how we are going home but if I think we'll land at Lums I'll let you know. Maybe we can get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
Hey P. Raz!
You're in my neck of the "ocean" - did you see me wave as you drove by????
If you have time, you should catch the ferry and check out Ocracoke! There's a campground too - the showers are basically outdoor showers that have an enclosure around them and a pull-chain (unless they have been upgraded).

Ocracoke is worth the 40 minute ferry ride - the quaint little town is 14 miles of seashore from the ferry docks - approx 800 year round residents. Great coffee shop (Ocracoke Coffee).

have fun!
islandgir
Hello Islandgirl and welcome to the forum. We come down at least once a year. Usually twice. Spring for a week and fall for longer. We're cold country folks and July is too hot for us. Ocraoke is great until the mosquitos come out. Unlike in town, the campground doesn't spray. A good thing I think but I've been there when you couldn't go outside. Been to the coffee shop many times. Years ago we spent a lot of time at Howards but not since we started staying at the campground. If you spot us, do say hello. We're pretty obvious.

Thanks all, take care, Raz
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

Name: Cindy of Greg/Cindy
Trailer: 17' Lil Snoozy
Outer Banks
We've had a very cool, wet, windy spring. It's finally warming up! We've been chased away by the killer skeeters too. We made the acquaintance of the no-see-ums too - wow!
Fall is our favorite time - warm days, no humidity, warm water, cool evenings, not crowded, etc.
I've heard folks have been finding some beautiful beach glass - courtesy of our winter storms.
PS - thanks for the welcome!
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Raz, now I am jealous...to be down there for a week sounds awesome to me. What a great spot!!!! Have fun and enjoy the Beach as I know you will. The weather is suddenly now hot. Strange weather this year. Again, glad for you and thanks for the dreamy pictures!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Raz

Just back from Molly's morning walk. There is a boardwalk from the campground over the dunes to the beach. Yesterday there was a deer. Today bunnies. Molly likes bunnies. The beach was crowded this morning, two folks way off. Molly doesn't swim but does like to put her toes in the water. And then there's rolling in the sand......

Picked up the first of this years sea shell collection. For years we'd bring shells home and they'd end up in a box in the closet. Last spring in an effort to unclutter we were about to throw them out but decided to have a little fun instead. We have been scattering them in our Vermont woods. Fifty years from now someone is going to find one and really wonder. It makes us smile.

In regard to no see ums, we have run into them at Oregon Inlet campground but never at Frisco or Ocracoke. We had a nasty infestation. No sleeping that night. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-299083480.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
Raz

This morning we decided to head for Ocracoke. After a breakfast sandwich from the Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton we headed for the ferry dock. Ferries are currently running every 1/2 hour. We got there at 10 but had to wait for the 10:30 ferry. Because of day trippers 11:00 to 2:00 is not a good time to come.

The free ferry from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke Island use to take 40 minutes but now takes over an hour. When hurricane Irene came through, the ferry channel, which was close to the inlet, filled with sand. The Army Corp. of Engineers has been trying to keep it open ever since but every storm that comes through fills it back in. The Coast Guard has had to find a new route well into the Pamlico Sound. Despite being a little longer now, it's a very enjoyable ride and as I said, it's free!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2092736359.jpg   image-1509988268.jpg  

image-985202649.jpg   image-1995598844.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Raz

As Islandgirl mentioned, Ocracoke is about 14 miles long with the ferry terminal on one end and the village on the other. The NPS camp ground is 3 miles outside of town. Here the terrain is quite flat with the ocean just a 100 yard walk over the dunes. The campground is also more dog friendly with some lawn thats not full of sand spurs.

Because the only way here involves a ferry ride, this is the only park service campground in the National Seashore to take reservations. As a result all guests pay $3/day more whether you make reservations or not. We have never seen the campground full but was told it does fill on holiday week ends. What's interesting is that most of the folks that come to the island are day trippers who drive from the ferry dock into town, shop, have lunch, and head back without ever seeing the real treasure here, the 12 miles of empty, warm (80* in the fall) beach. Take care, Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-4094580039.jpg   image-1846985564.jpg  

image-2653655918.jpg   image-2120261758.jpg  

image-3347367990.jpg   image-2854345757.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #14

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Oh Raz, thank you so much for sharing your adventure...wish I was there...love that place! Feels like we are there with you when you write about it and share the photos. Again, Thanks!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we, too, love the OBX. watching the kite surfers, walking the miles of beach, kite flying....love it all.
thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories!!
enjoy your stay.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #16

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Molly

Raz, I love your picture of Molly sleeping on the bed. She looks a lot like our Shopcoat. Years ago we were near Ocracoke in July, and the green heads (Huge green flies) just about drove us crazy! Chased us back to the car and then hit the windshield with a fury trying to get us. Another time the noseums had us zipped up in our sleeping bags with just our noses sticking out even though it was July. But that was in our tent camping days. Hope to try again before too long, but in the Snoozy, not a tent!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Don't forget Pigmans Barbecue, Duck Donuts, and Brew Thru
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieinNC View Post
Raz, I love your picture of Molly sleeping on the bed. She looks a lot like our Shopcoat. Years ago we were near Ocracoke in July, and the green heads (Huge green flies) just about drove us crazy! Chased us back to the car and then hit the windshield with a fury trying to get us. Another time the noseums had us zipped up in our sleeping bags with just our noses sticking out even though it was July. But that was in our tent camping days. Hope to try again before too long, but in the Snoozy, not a tent!
Yea, that's the worlds worst dog. I keep threatening to make a bathroom rug out of her. She still won't listen.

We used to come in July/ August when we worked for a living. Too hot for us Yankees. Mosquitos have been our biggest issue in the past. A hard puddle making rain and a few days later they swarm. A few green heads but none now. This is not a good tent camping campground because it is too level. The day after one of those heavy coastal storms and the tenters are miserable. Wet sleeping bags and not a dryer for miles..

Right now there are lots of young folks, done with college but the job hasn't started yet. And retirees like us. In the fall there are lots of retirees. We see the same folks every year. The showers are warmer in the fall too.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
With any luck we'll be pulling into Frisco sometime late Thursday afternoon but I don't expect any of the upper "P" sites such as you found will be open. For the last few years all four of the NPS campgrounds on the OBX have been full for the Holiday weekends by mid day on Friday. If you're still around and see a fiver pulled by a green Tacoma double cab stop by and say 'hi'.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
With any luck we'll be pulling into Frisco sometime late Thursday afternoon but I don't expect any of the upper "P" sites such as you found will be open. For the last few years all four of the NPS campgrounds on the OBX have been full for the Holiday weekends by mid day on Friday. If you're still around and see a fiver pulled by a green Tacoma double cab stop by and say 'hi'.

Al & Cindy
Sorry we are going to miss you. We left Ocracoke today and are back in Frisco for the night. A10 going down and P49 tonight. Had lunch at Hatterasman. OBX fast food. We plan to head up to Janes Island State Park in Maryland. See if we can do some paddling. We'll be home by Friday. Have a nice visit, Raz