Obx - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Obx

Outer Banks of North Carolina
NPS Campground at Frisco
Taken 18 May 2012
Water temp = Air temp = 72*
Attached Thumbnails
image-2202569392.jpg   image-767902883.jpg  

image-3201452571.jpg   image-663793703.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #2

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
Love the NPS campgrounds We tented our way down the Banks to Ocracoke a couple years ago. Frisco is the one with all the dunes, right? Best wake-up sounds/smell ever. Watch out for those sand burrs stepping out barefoot, though
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That's nice. It looks like you had the place to yourselves!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Raz

Frisco has the hills and lots of shaded dune sites for tenters. Ocracoke has a flat grass area with dunes between the campground and the ocean. Both have cold showers and sand spurs. New this year, the park service has imposed rather high beach vehicle permit fees which has both the locals and the fishermen rather upset. Also much of the beach is no longer accessible. That may have accounted for at least some of the lack of campers at Frisco.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Name: Ollie
Virginia
Registry
We pulled onto the Ocracoke Ferry behind a Sidekick with a bumper sticker reading "I Love Piping Plovers... Extra Crispy with Sweat Tea" When I looked at the driver, it was a park ranger!
I really don't know the politics about the beach closures- not much of a beach driver myself though I definitely understand the frustration of folks who have used some of those beaches to drive and surf fish for decades suddenly losing them. I too noticed the campgrounds being much more empty than I remembered.
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love camping pictures... makes me jealous! Looks like a great place to have a good time
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were in that NPS Frisco campground in April for one night. Bought the senior park pass there, then went to the Wright monument & museum for free, There was another little fiberglass camper there, make unknown, didn't see the owner, What we like best about the driving on the beach thing is watching vehicles get stuck in the sand. Several years ago we were in that same campground when a micro burst came through, blew over the popup next to us, took the roofs off a couple others, and blew away some tents. After that we were more worried when it got windy!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Dang Raz, did ya have to tell the whole world about Frisco? j/k This is the best campground, public or private, on the Outer Banks - large sites and many with a fair degree of privacy. Thanks for the pictures.

We went down Thursday for Memorial Day and the cg was full before noon on Friday. The NPS hadn't opened the the nearby Cape Point campground behind the Hatteras Lighthouse so many campers were turned away. Excuse I heard was it had been too wet to cut the grass.

Hope you weren't one of those that got caught on Ocracoke with no way off when the wind shifted and the ferries couldn't run due to the shallow water for a day or so about the time of your visit.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Name: Tabitha
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Dang Raz, did ya have to tell the whole world about Frisco? j/k This is the best campground, public or private, on the Outer Banks - large sites and many with a fair degree of privacy.
agreed... it was my favorite there too.

sounds like Cape Point has issues. We were there 2 years ago, june. don't remember 100% if it was officially closed, but pretty sure the beach there was at least. Either way, the campground was deserted.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Dang Raz, did ya have to tell the whole world about Frisco? j/k This is the best campground, public or private, on the Outer Banks - large sites and many with a fair degree of privacy. Thanks for the pictures.

We went down Thursday for Memorial Day and the cg was full before noon on Friday. The NPS hadn't opened the the nearby Cape Point campground behind the Hatteras Lighthouse so many campers were turned away. Excuse I heard was it had been too wet to cut the grass.

Hope you weren't one of those that got caught on Ocracoke with no way off when the wind shifted and the ferries couldn't run due to the shallow water for a day or so about the time of your visit.
We headed down the week there were ferry issues but thanks to the Ocracoke Current ( on line paper) we knew about things and made a reservation on the Swan Quarter ferry. Upon arrival the town was deserted but the Variety store had been restocked the previous day. Even the beer truck made it. We had 4 days of very nice weather and then two days of heavy rain. This of course floods part of the camp ground and within a day or two the mosquitos showed up. That's when we headed to Frisco.

Cape Point is not usually open when we go so we had never been there but we went down to see what it looked like this trip. I believe the beach behind the camp ground is closed so that may have been why it's not open?