Odd experience booking Trailer Inns of WA - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #21

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Same with us Wendy.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We were once banned many years ago (our first encounter with trailer discrimination) from a private park in WA after being asked to submit a photo of our GetAway Van. So they did discriminate individually, and decided we were too old/icky to allow. It was a group trip and we elected to skip it. We ultimately quit going with the group entirely because the group loved the private parks...and we preferred County, State, and National parks with some foliage and space between campsites. I didn't want to camp there anyway; their photos of their camping area showed one big parking lot where everyone lined up cheek-to-jowl...or bumper to hitch...or port to starboard. But by golly, all the nose-to-butt camping rigs were new!

Not that there's anything wrong with new rigs!

I understand their desire not to have trashy old things ruining their ambience...but I'm fairly old and trashy myself. If my camping rig isn't good enough for them, I'm probably not, either.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
it seems

it seems the older and more trashy our rigs are the cheaper we are!

cheap is good if we camp out state parks suit us just fine

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #24

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
I don't understand what RIVA certification is, as I'm not aware of ever having seen that any RV had it. Are there any fiberglass trailer manufacturers which provide this?
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan A View Post
I don't understand what RIVA certification is, as I'm not aware of ever having seen that any RV had it. Are there any fiberglass trailer manufacturers which provide this?
I believe this is the Canadian equivalent. Here, on an Escape. Certifies gas, electrical and plumbing was properly installed.
Attached Thumbnails
CSA sticker.jpg  
Old 03-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan A View Post
I don't understand what RIVA certification is, ...
It should be RVIA.

PS, this thread gave me a good case of Déjà vu

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/top...iscrimination/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #27

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
That makes more sense. I don't recall ever having seen that either, though.

Do fiberglass trailer manufacturers here in the US issue RVIA certification? Granted, my experience with RVs is limited to shopping and ordering so far, but I don't recall having seen anything of the sort.

I'm rather of two minds about this. I can understand that RV park owners and management don't want people bringing near-terminal age/condition RVs in if their experience with them has been one of low-life owners who will put the more desirable guests' noses out of joint with their behavior, particularly if they're concerned the RV could be abandoned there, and near impossible to evict or remove. Housing laws are meant to prevent discrimination, but they've found what they believe to be a reasonable workaround.

OTOH, we're buying a TT with exceptional longevity (and the high resale values to prove it), so 10 years seems a ridiculously short cutoff point. I'm also of the mind that if I, or others with similar rigs are unwelcome, then it's unlikely that I'd enjoy time spent there, and I'm happy that they've saved me from having an unpleasant experience.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
RVIA is an industry association, code compliance is largely voluntary (no independent inspections), and membership dues are high.

The last reason is why many molded manufacturers do not have the emblem. I think Oliver is a member. Escape seems to belong to the Canadian equivalent. There may be others. Most large conventional manufacturers are RVIA members, thanks to deep corporate pockets, and we know how much better they are made...

It's a meaningless rule, but one that allows an RV park operator to convince their insurer, their residents, or more likely, themselves, that they are doing something to enhance safety.

I believe it was Floyd who once suggested lifting the emblem off a 15 year old sticky in an RV boneyard and sticking it on your 40 year old egg trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
When i book a campground i look for their rules, pets allowed, so forth and if such a requirement is posted, i avoid and search for another, we do have wheels. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #30

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Carl Pa: absolutely. There are lots of options if you start booking soon enough.

Kai
Old 03-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #31

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
I suspect it is not illegal for a private land owner to place restrictions on the personal property they will allow onto it.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #32

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If you own private property and open a business, such as a KOA campground, you subject yourself to all sorts of regulations & laws. They include Fair Housing and Equal Housing laws. For example, the cabins at your KOA must be available to all races, colors, religions, national origins, and more. Defending against just an accusation would put many out of business.
That is why so many have blanket policies about trailers.

http://civilrights.findlaw.com/enfor...modations.html
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote