Odd experience booking Trailer Inns of WA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
Odd experience booking Trailer Inns of WA

I was winding up booking our 4 week trip - having researched trailer parks all along both sides of the Canada / US border, and it was down to 2 nights, Spokane area and Seattle area.

How lucky to find one company, Trailer Inns, that had reasonable looking campsites in both places.

So, I submitted my reservation, including make and age of trailer. Okay, no suspicions aroused...

Until I got a call from some hapless employee telling me that "your RV is too old for our camp". What !!!

It transpires that they only accept RVs younger than 1990 - for, get this, AESTHETIC REASONS. It didn't matter that we had a travel trailer and not an RV. That our TV is a 2017. That the trailer has been totally fixed up, and being a boler, that its a classic.

"Management" didn't allow it and that was that. Ageism, discrimination. downright appalling. Its not a private, elite country club, and its not the Ritz. Just a campground for RVs.

Just wanted to let everyone that I can know about my shocking experience. I know that they will NEVER get my business again. EVER.

At the end of the day, no skin off my back. I wasn't going to beg so I booked with a park that takes my money for what it is.
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sadly, it's not an uncommon practice. There may be some valid reasons- wanting to keep old, broken-down trailers out for safety reasons as well as aesthetics. I've heard of high-end "RV resorts" with far more restrictive age rules, like under 10 years.

Of course you are right- many of our vintage fiberglass units are in far better condition than a 28 year old sticky, but I'm sure the employee was not authorized to make any exceptions.

The ownership may not want to, either. As long as their (rather arbitrary) rule is applied consistently, they cannot be accused of discrimination on some legally actionable basis, such as age (yours, not the trailer), gender, race, etc.

Given the popularity of restored vintage trailers, I think a smart RV park operator would make provisions for including them, perhaps by submitting pictures. Vintage RV's in good condition add to rather than detract from the park's ambience. I know you're feeling very offended, but I wonder what would happen if you did appeal the decision to the ownership with an e-mail and photos.

Good to hear you've found other arrangements, and don't let it spoil your trip!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #3

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...it's a good reason not to depend on hook-ups.
Thanks Jon. I did find alternatives - one public and one private. I suppose I"m just not used to this, being new to the trailering thing. Could you imagine if hotels didn't allow you in because your baggage is too old.
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Given the popularity of restored vintage trailers, I think a smart RV park operator would make provisions for including them, perhaps by submitting pictures. Vintage RV's in good condition add to rather than detract from the park's ambience.
Yes, but that would take actual thought and consideration, rather than a one size fits all blanket rule. Unfortunately, many people don't seem to want to make decisions anymore. I'm with the OP. Any park with such a silly blanket rule doesn't get my business, even though mine is a newer trailer.

Think about what you'd rather see in the campsites: a bunch of "new" Coleman and Jayco ugly corrugated boxes, or a bunch of beautiful and immaculately maintained vintage units? Some rules just make no sense.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Doesn't make sense to expect a kid answering the phone and making minimum wage to arbitrate either.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Doesn't make sense to expect a kid answering the phone and making minimum wage to arbitrate either.
They wouldn't have to. It could simply be left up to the manager to approve - a photo submission like Jon suggested would suffice.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
They wouldn't have to. It could simply be left up to the manager to approve - a photo submission like Jon suggested would suffice.
And, they don't have to with the park's current policy.
They don't get your business, and they don't want it.
Works for me. I don't want to stay there either.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If your trailer is in very presentable shape then just use your vehicle for the age of both. It is not as if they are doing to do any extensive research when you make a booking. Don't make waves and the waters will stay calm.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Someone on another forum that was thinking of heading to Texas just posted today about finding the same problem, private parks setting an age limit on the RV. If the park has any doubt about the age they can ask to see the registration. We were recently looking at a park in Florida and their regulations specified the RV had to have RIVA certification and had to be at least 20 feet long.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:33 PM   #10

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've stopped and had people come up convinced my trailer was no more than a couple of years old till I told them it was a 91.

Lie when booking its not like they check your papers once you roll up I'm sure everything will be fine.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I'm all for not giving them my money if they don't want me. But, I don't know how they would tell the difference between my 1988 Scamp and a 1990. I don't carry no stinkin "papers" on my Scamp either. The dog has her rabies tag, beyond that I am not showing anything.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #12

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
papers

I haven't heard of many people carrying papers for their trailer but in the New Way of doing things maybe its required now. I suppose you could carry a copy of your title somewhere.

As for being snubbed we don't do reservations rarely go to parks we don't see a need for it while rolling. If we do its either a state park or federal otherwise you will find us at the Walmarts!

I would undoubtedly go into shock paying the rate at an age required type of rv park but to each his own I suppose.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, don't you have a registration document for your trailer issued in conjunction with the tags on your license plate? They typically ask for that if you get pulled over. I've never been pulled over while towing, but I assume they might ask for the registration for the trailer as well as the tow vehicle.

Some states might allow you to obtain a homebuilt title with a current date if you do a complete rebuild including the frame. Of course, you lose your vintage status if you do.

Lying... is always an option. If it comes down to the choice between lying and moving on, though, I'll just go elsewhere. Not trying to be self-righteous here, but I'd rather vote with my business against arbitrary and inflexible rules that unnecessarily exclude. A token gesture to be sure- there are plenty of generic stickies to take my place.

Besides, I'm not sure I want them as neighbors, either. They block my views.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #14

Missouri
pulled over

jon I have pulled many various trailers at 76 I have never been pulled over while pulling one. as I think about it I have seen semi-trucks pulled over many times but never a camper trailer. I am on I70 almost every day for some reason or the other a busy highway of course nothing like in the east!

I had a friend who in the 80s pulled his trailer with expired plates and got stopped this was before the age of the license plate scanner. he never did figure out how or why he got stopped with expired plates or how the state patrol would even pay attention! it never has occurred to me to carry any papers on any trailer I ever owned.

he did get a ticket!

some interesting points today

bob
Old 03-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
It isn't only age that some campgrounds use as limits. Try to book your fiberglass trailer into Bluewater Key Resort at Key West. RVs must be over 24' long. Lots of rules!

I have to admit, I'd probably feel out of place staying there, not that I would be willing to pay $135 - $200 per night for a 7 night minimum anyhow. Key West is an interesting place to visit, however staying at Bahia Honda State Park makes more sense to me...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My SIL manages a RV park that has the 10 year rule. I asked my brother about it just last week because ours is, well, about 38 years past that. Their rules apply only to the monthly rentals. The short-term, up to 14 day as, can be any age as long as they are not junk.

Their park is in Everett, WA, north of Seattle.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #17

Missouri
smart

the owner operator is a smart man! when I was in business no order was too small matter of fact I built a very profitable company on small customers you know the ones no one wanted.

the billion dollar outfits would some how find out about some of my customers they would go in there with their huge minimum orders and they would be shown the door!

sometimes common sense is forgotten in the business world! you know too big to fail!

bob
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Almost daily I read posts here about how stick built trailers fall apart. Most of us have seen them. Using an arbitrary age avoids expensive lawsuits that a park is discriminating on some other basis, including race. A lawsuit like that can put a mom and pop out of business, and that serves no campers. There already is a shortage of parks. I don't blame the parks, I blame lawmakers and lawyers. I also don't condone racial discrimination.

Another post here today cites how the Ultimate Jack may have been pulled from the market due to unspecified warranty issues. Liability for business owners is a real concern.

I like the idea of case by case exceptions, but it is subjective and could be seen as discriminatory. No park owner wants to face a request to "produce all your records..." for some lawsuit or audit. There are strict laws on Equal Housing, Fair Housing, and discrimination.

There's another related issue. It is affordable housing, and how older run down stick builts have become the lowest rung on the housing ladder for low income folks. It is a challenging problem, particularly in cities.

If you have driven by or stayed in parks that have become long term rentals, for low income housing, they may not be how you want to spend your leisure time or vacation. Evictions, if necessary can't be lengthy and costly.
Unfortunately it is a challenge we need to be sensitive to.

It really isn't about your 40 year old trailer or them not wanting your money.

A story about Denver trying to ban camping in non-campgrounds. It is going to court.
https://www.denverite.com/group-thou...r-trial-50056/
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #19

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
A couple of seasons ago we tried to book into Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. We did not make a reservation, just drove up. Place was about 2/3 full. They had a 10 year rule and a length rule. They would not let us camp there.

We stayed at Coyote RV park in California and they have an age restriction. Very nice park and at $65/night not terribly expensive considering the location, a few miles south of San Jose, CA.

I don't have a problem with restrictions such as these. These campgrounds are usually booked solid. I would rather a 45' Prevost, or a Monaco with 5 slides, or those big 5th wheel toy haulers, camp in a park such as these and leave the State, National and primitive parks to me.

On the other hand I have been in private parks with no restrictions and some long term campers which were very run down and trashy, with restrooms, laundry and showers that were dirty. I don't much like being crowded into such an environment and only stay there long enough to get some sleep, then move on.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #20

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
One of the few things that can creep me out at my age (71) is an RV park with very old, ugly trailers. They are permanent homes to sometimes unsavory people who wander the park. I stayed in one in Michigan that had a port-a-potty a few feet behind my rear window, and the view was seriously off-putting. I’m just saying that sometimes age of the RVs in a park speaks volumes, about the park!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote