Off Leash Areas in Campgrounds and Cities - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #1

Name: Murphy
Trailer: Scamp 16' Delux
Washington
Off Leash Areas in Campgrounds and Cities

I'd like to have a spot in the forums specific to campgrounds that offer "off Leash" areas for dogs.

You know, places you have stayed with good or bad areas, fenced or unfenced where your dog can run around after a day cooped up in the car traveling.

I'll post a few that we have stayed at, some with the dog runs there, some with maybe a city park with an enclosed area.

I wish that RV Park reviews would do this but ......

Anyway ... First place is Coyote Ranch RV Park in Wichita Falls, Texas. Its a good stop over park or good for a few days with a big fenced area.

Another place is a few of the city parks in Vancouver Washington. We went to two of them and they were huge off leash parks. We stayed in Portland and it was a short drive, maybe 20 mins (but the dogs LOVED the parks), but well worth it.
Murphy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #2

Washington
BTW the parks in Vancouver were chain link fenced all around.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Several KOA's offer "Doggy Parks" where it is fenced in and the dogs are allowed to run off leash. some even have those obstacles you see on tv where they dogs are trained to go thru and up and around them. KOA in Badlands, Daytona Beach, Bar Harbor, Lake Placid all have this feature.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
There is a dog park with obstacles in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. It is part of the city parks with a long walking trailer, baseball/softball fields, soccer field, pool, playground, even a small water park for the little tykes.

Sorry the Satalite image is not completely updated. I dropped the pin near the dog park portion.
4125 Lilac St
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
http://goo.gl/maps/TrlUP

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Bolsa Chica State Beach Campground in Southern California is within walking distance to Huntington Beach Dog Beach where your 4 legged friends can run free. Campground is nothing more than a close nit RV parking lot but its on the beach. Getting reservations though Reserve America is a big pain though.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The KOA in Burlington, Washington, has a huge field, with a walking path mowed around the outside, where dogs can be off-leash. Not fenced so not for dogs that will stray from their owners. They also have dogs-allowed camping cabins (which are the nicest feature of the park; the RV sites are nothing to write home about.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Four Paws Kingdom in NC is one of my favorite places to go. I just go for the weekend and my dogs are exhausted for an entire week. They have an off leash creek and play area, a private play area, a pond play area, a small dog and a large dog play area. It's awesome! Many acres fenced in for off leash play.

KOA Myrtle Beach SC and KOA Wrightsville Beach NC both have small off leash areas with a few obstacles for playing. But very small.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We never usually have a problem finding a place for our dog to run, and he does need and gets at least an hour every day.

We often just walk from the campsite until we find a viable place, hopefully with water to splash in. We do tend to camp in places with lots of forest land around. We have never been stuck yet for a place to take him.

The doggie areas that some places have set up are okay for the social aspect for dogs, but offer very little in space to get out and just blast to get his ya-yas out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #9

Washington
The thing I have found with the KOA's is many are starting to add the K-9 area but although many are similar, we went to one where I wasnt looking at the fence enclosure very good and our small puppy went thru the Iron fence like a knife thru butter (and Im running after him). This was at KOA in Rapid City SD. Also many are not much bigger than 10 x 20, which is better than nothing tho.