OK all you Kansan's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
OK all you Kansan's

What is the best month to visit Kansas, from someone scared spitless of tornadoes?

I am well aware early spring, especially April and May, is not the best time. I had thought September might be good but then I saw something about early fall not being good, particularly Sept/Oct.

I'm not going this year, just trying to get an idea for my planning binder.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Adrian,

Thanks for all that but I already did some search and simply wanted to hear from some of the locals in Kansas.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Thanks for all that but I already did some search and simply wanted to hear from some of the locals in Kansas.
Hi Joy -- while we're not necessarily the best Kansas ambassadors (how we miss our chosen hometown in SW Colorado), Sam and I have lived here in eastern Kansas a combined 60+ years. And... well... in spite of what Dorothy may have to say about it... neither of us has actually witnessed a tornado yet (wait, Sam has -- when he was stationed in Tennessee!).

We do typically see the most thunderstorms in June, July, and August, and maybe 1-3 actual watches/warnings throughout those months that require us to play in the basement for a bit. You can see why it's hard to pinpoint a certain time frame, and I think the recent disasters (a few states southeast of us) illustrate how unpredictable these storms are.

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I wouldn't worry about them one bit. We have gone to the basement a few times but we've also gone to the back deck to see if we could see anything! Very rare and the warning system works very well. Sirens go off, check the news, see that it's three miles away and go about your business. Don't let it stop you at all from visiting Kansas. We have some really neat stuff here to see. Let me know if you want some advice of things to see in KS or the KC area in general.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote