OR winter travel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
http://167.131.0.179/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainN...ons&curRegion=7

If this works it will give Gina access to OR road cams, and a means for all who travel OR winter roads to make decissions of the safest way to go. Most Cascade passes have snow throughout the winter, but the plows are always out on the main highways. Ice is the "slippery culprit" because it is often hard to see black ice. The pavement will look nice and clear, but even chains or traction devices won't do much good at over 30MPH on ice. That info isn't just for the passes as the valleys often have ice and frozen fog as the Rogue Valley had this past week in the mornings. I think one can move through the road cam site to the road/highway conditions or with a phone call.
Everyone please keep safe and well through this winter and arrive in Bandon in July!
Renee
Renee K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'd forgotten about tripcheck. If you want to find out about oregon road conditions, including accidents, construction, snow problems, etc., this is the place to go. http://www.tripcheck.com
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thank You!

Tripcheck has long been in my bookmarks.. I like to check on Rush Minute in Portland

I will be checking it From Crescent City. It will determine if I cut back over to I-5 on the 199 or continue up the 101.

It's kinda fun not knowing which dorection you'll go in!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
Gina, Highway 199 (CCto GP) is usually clear, but should you decide to continue up the coast, 101 is easy, with lots of stopping spots. From experience, the best road across from the coast to I-5 is from Reedsport through Drain. It has the most passing lanes which make RV towing much less worrysome. It puts you back to I-5 about 35mi south of Eugene. This of course by-passes the Rogue Valley but also cuts out the 4 passes between GP and Roseburg. If the weather and highways aren't bad, going all the way, to travel the coast route will add 10-14 hours to trip time so keep your options open. They do try to keep I-5 open day and night but often require traction devices on each of the passes, which if using chain type, can be a a hassle on and off.
Wish it was July for your travel!!!! Renee
Renee K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
This link is also to the Oregon Pass cams and other camera links

http://www.katu.com/traffic/mntorimages.asp?id=62

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I guess I forgot to mention that Trip Check has ALL the Oregon DOT cams.