Oregon Coast Advise? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Oregon Coast Advise?

So taking the Bigfoot to the US for the first time (from Vernon, BC). Planning on heading to Seattle then down Washington to Oregon then obviously the Oregon Coast.

Thinking of maybe heading inland a bit for the return trip (from Sacramento up to Bend then make our way to Spokane then up to BC from there).

Guess just had some general questions. The biggest is should we book any sites or just wing it? I thought with school out should be OK but then have talked to a few and they kinda gave me a blank 'worried for you' look.

Any tips, advise, ideas etc would be awesome!!

Oh, we are thinking of heading down First week in May and take 2-3 for whole trip. My wife and I will be travelling with our two and a half year old son and five month old boy.
Simon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Name: Alli
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
though i can't offer advice as to the camping part (i know, that was your question but i had to respond!) but you are going to have a great trip going at that time of year down the coast! we went straight up to disneyland last year last week of april and came back down the oregon coast first week of may and it was amazing. pretty quiet and everywhere that we stopped to picnic we were the only ones there. fantastic rest stops and view points for the kids to run and play on the beach or grass. actually that trip determined for us the need to seek out a travel trailer in order to do that stretch properly it's that wonderful! i'd grab an rv camping guide from BCAA and perhaps even email or phone properties along the route and ask if reservations are totally necessary. (i'm guessing you'd be fine w/out)
enjoy your trip, you will be sure to make lots of memories
BCAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oregon schools are not out until after the first part of June. Remember, you can drive (and tow) the entire length of the state of Oregon in one day. Our state parks are wonderful. IF you want a site and don't have a reservation, be at the front gate at 2pm (that's when sites turn over). If you wait until 7pm you may be SOL. Friday and Saturday are far busier times than week days, especially the parks closer to Portland (north) and close to the California border (south). IF there is a state park you absolutely want to stay at... make a reservation. Be adaptable is the name of the game.

Memorial weekend (last weekend of May, Monday makes a three-day weekend), is nutz... especially if the weather is good on the coast.

Enjoy your trip through Oregon We Oregonians are pretty proud of our state.

Safe travels!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

thanks for your replies!

Are most of the parks along the coast state parks or are there some private ones as well?

We have a pretty relaxed schedule when it comes to camping. Ie. may stay at one a few nights and then skip the next kinda thing. So was hoping to be able to not reserve and just go freewheelin'.

Regards to our trailer, anyone have any tips in additional items to pack that we may not think of while camping up here?

cheers!

Simon
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Camping in OR
Early May, except for the weekends, should still be fairly light for spaces but, as Donna mentioned, don't expect to show up at 6 PM and find empty spots waiting for you.
If you go far enought south, take Hiway 199 east to the Oregon Caves. Grayback CG is one of the finest Forest Service campgrounds I have ever visited. It's on the road to the Oregon Caves National Monument and is well worth a stop. Here's a link for the area:
Cave Junction, Tourism Information and Map
BTW: Be careful on the twisty parts of the coast hiway, watch for bicycles and oncoming cars that might like your side of the road better than theirs. Last year I lost a drivers door mirror on that section of road to a BMW that liked my side of the road on a blind curve. My damage, about $30, His damage: Priceless.....
Added Bit: There are a few Indian Casinio's along the coast that allow overnight parking. I have stayed at the one in Coos Bay a few times.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon A View Post
thanks for your replies!

Regards to our trailer, anyone have any tips in additional items to pack that we may not think of while camping up here?

cheers!

Simon
Well, if the weather holds like it has been, I do recommend a snorkel and mask if you plan on outside activities . I've lived here all my life and I always bring cold and warm weather clothing, and rain gear, even in the summer.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #7

Again, thanks for you're replies. Couple more questions....:

when returning North better Rto follow yup coast again or more inland? We were going to go back inland because we heard there were some nice lakes. Probably up through bend then up to spokanne....suggestions?

Just need passports for border (would assume)? And obviously Bigfoot registration

camping world best place for parts for trailer?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Do I need a passport to return from Canada?
The short answer is Yes, but there are a few other ways:

Here's the Official Scoop on the WHTI
Passport Requirements | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

If you don't have one now, plan on staying put for a few months or paying big $$$ for a passport service.

BTW: Camping World is usually the most expensive place to get parts and service.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon A View Post
Again, thanks for you're replies. Couple more questions....:

when returning North better Rto follow yup coast again or more inland? We were going to go back inland because we heard there were some nice lakes. Probably up through bend then up to spokanne....suggestions?

Just need passports for border (would assume)? And obviously Bigfoot registration

camping world best place for parts for trailer?

Thanks!

Yes - a passport will be required for each and every person in the vehicle when you try to enter the US of A, and will be awful handy on your return to Canada. Proof of registration and ins for BOTH your Bigfoot and whatever vehicle it is pushing will be needed if something happens.

Avoid Camping World at all costs unless your chauffeur insists that the Rolls cannot possibly proceed further whilst towing your Bigfoot. If you have neither a chauffeur nor a Rolls Royce, you can't likely afford CW!

As to routes through Ore - I have done the coast road once and other than that, I've never been off I-5.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We never made reservations for our various trips along the Oregon and N California coastal trips, except once when we were with a caravaning group. As long as you stop early you should not have a problem finding a spot, but do have a campground book along for the ride if you need an alternative.

Wal-Mart is a good source of general RV stuff.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
oregon huh.... aint been there in years,,,but iffin i recollect,,,pack an umbrella,,,it can get,,well,,,damp there at times.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
The Oregon coast, and Oregon in general, has lots of state parks as well as federal parks. A favorite of ours is south of Reedsport, Eel Creek. It's on the west side of highway 101 just south of Tugman state park, which is on the east side of the highway. Eel Creek has only restrooms and water, no electricity. But it has access to miles and miles of wonderful dunes onto which no vehicles are allowed. Tugman state park does have showers, electricity, etc. but no direct dune access.
Another great park is Cape Lookout state park on the Three Capes Scenic drive out of Tillamook. This road is actually west of highway 101 and Cape Lookout is a large campground on an endless beach between two big capes, both of which are worth visiting. Cape Meares, to the north, is an easy walk to the tip and a nice old lighthouse and wonderful view. Cape Lookout requires a long hike to get out to the tip but it's a great place to see. Both are high above the surf.
It's fun to visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory to have some ice cream and to pick up the best medium cheddar around.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #13

Signing in from cannon beach Oregon.....cold and windy but lovely down here. Slowly making our way down the coast staying in the state parks. Heading to Newport aquarium this afternoon then Beverley beach (?) tonight......
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: Boler
Arizona
Don't miss the Talamook Cheese factory...you can get 34 scoops of ice cream in one bowl...and die afterwards..

The campsite at Astoria is really good.

Don't miss Crater Lake!

www.j-drawingaday.blogspot.com
screaminbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Beachside state park is right by the ocean between Waldport and Yachats, very nice.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote