Oregon Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My wife and I will be heading down the west coast to the southern tip of Oregon, starting in Canada. Now I know that there are a lot of people who have travelled this route. What I am wondering about is the availability of sites along the way. Should we be calling ahead and making reservations? What about private campgrounds vrs. Park Campgrounds.

Should we hurry through Washington? I have heard that the call of Oregon often causes people to miss interesting parts in Washington.

Could you also suggest what you found to be particularly spectacular, be it the most beautiful spot for a picture, a pitcher of beer or some good live music.

Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

We will be starting in the middle of July.

Cheers,

Greg
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Greg
there are lots of places to see in WA but dont know what route you are planning to take. I would look at differnet site in WA where you might like to go to. Along the coast there isnt alot but up on the northern there is Peninsual the Rain Forest up near Quanalt.... and around the loop. here is a site you might be interested in looking. If your headed south you might find other stops along the way...
Most campgrounds will be full in July unless you can get reservations... I dont think they officially start till next week... I have no idea what private campgrounds offer. I have never taken a road trip with the trailer..
state parks: http://www.stateparks.com/wa.html look also for KOA
or other campgrounds if you belong to Sams club etc..

Official site of Wa state
http://www.experiencewa.com/v5/home/default.aspx

hope this helps
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
We just returned from a trip on the Oregon coast following the Northern Oregon Gathering. there is lots of camping opportunities but I suspect that they will be busy in the summer time. I noted in one state park that all of the sites with utilities were booked for this weekend. We were there mid week. The oregon state parks were wonderful and comfortable. If you want more details of our trip I can post more.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We just returned from a trip on the Oregon coast following the Northern Oregon Gathering. there is lots of camping opportunities but I suspect that they will be busy in the summer time. I noted in one state park that all of the sites with utilities were booked for this weekend. We were there mid week. The oregon state parks were wonderful and comfortable. If you want more details of our trip I can post more.
I second Kent's comments. We recently spent much of two weeks in Oregon, along the coast from Astoria to Lincoln City then inland to Bend, then up Highway 97 back to Canada. We preferred Oregon State Parks to those of Washington, largely because of the semi-serviced sites (had hydro during the cold weather), and inequitable price in similar campsites WA to OR ($17 in OR to $26 in WA).
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
My 2 cents here again...... I have to say yes Oregon has much prettier beaches than WA... but we do have alot of beautiful places to visit like i said up on the Northern Peninsula, but that probably isnt your direction.... You just have to seek out and find what you would like to see and what route you go...

I would also try 'mid week" at the state campgrounds..I am out of luck for the weekends and those are my days off! I can only hope there is some kind of opening to get a short trip in now and then.... or I will have to wait till Sept after Labor Day.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #6

I would really like to hear more details of your trip. As I mentioned earlier it is easier when one follows in anothers footprints (Tiretracks). Thanks for offering.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #7

Ya what is with those darned tourists filling up those sites?

Quote:
My 2 cents here again...... I have to say yes Oregon has much prettier beaches than WA... but we do have alot of beautiful places to visit like i said up on the Northern Peninsula, but that probably isnt your direction.... You just have to seek out and find what you would like to see and what route you go...

I would also try 'mid week" at the state campgrounds..I am out of luck for the weekends and those are my days off! I can only hope there is some kind of opening to get a short trip in now and then.... or I will have to wait till Sept after Labor Day.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Greg, IMHO...the most scenic parts of the WA coast are around Ocean Shores/Long Beach penn. We do that trip at least once every year but tend to head to the coast on highway #20 west. Pick this up south of Bellingham WA on the map. You could even pick up 20 from the eastern side of WA and follow it along. Some VERY pretty (no oceanatic) views are along that route. We head to the south western corner of WA and cross over in\to OR right at the coast (4 mile long bridge) into Astoria. Oregon state parks are nicer than WA's as a rule but reservations MUST be made now, so ya best pre-plan your your route and call ahead, there's toll free #'s around for KOA's and state parks. Best to try to deal direct with the park where you want to be staying at (IF possible). KOA's are another option (and OUR preferance too) and as a rule are more $$/night but most are better equipped for what ever you might need. Stay along hwy 101 and 1 if ya get into Calif.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
The Northern oregon gathering was held at Champoeg state Park which was about 25 miles south of Portland , just off I-5 near Newburg. We had travelled south from B.C. Okanagan via 97 south then we travelled in Washington, 97 south to Brewster, then east to 17 south , to Ephrata, #283, to I-90, west to I -82 to Yakima and Toppenish, #97 to Goldendale,I-84 to 205 south around Portland to I-5. It took us all day to make this trip and found Champoeg in the dark.
From Champoeg we travelled to the Oregon coast via #18 and spent the night at Umpqua Lighthouse. We had checked out Beverly Beach state park and it was too early in the day to stop but it looks very nice, construction on a bride at the entrance area. Jessie Honeyman also looked nice but the only loop open was a loop being used by the ATV users until May 1 st. and we thought we wanted a quieter stay. Umpqua had a lovely little trail around a small lake but truly enjoyed the view at the light house. Lots of treees which would be appreciated in the summer. We went onto Bandan and Bullards Beach where we dropped the trailer and continued the tour on to Brookinngs and made the trip back. Went back up the coast and spent a night at Cape Lookout and thoroughly enjoyed the Three Capes scenic route. It was a great quiet stay to just walk to the beach and listen and watch the breakers crashing on the beach, continued up to Asotia and toured Fort Stevens which is campground city. over 5oo sites. Huge. Went on along the gorge to I82 and decided against two campgrounds , because it was still early and right beside the train tracks. Ainsworth and Viento have access going East on I-82. Lovely parks. We stayed at Columbia Hills on the Washington side. Not as nice as the oregon parks but interesting site with its connection to Lewis and Clark expedition.
Stayed north of Wenatchee on #97 at Lincoln Rock state park , Daroga would have been just as nice and B B park near Chelan. There is a big state park on Lake Chelan which is a big tourist area which we chose to by-pass.

Staying on 97 was a little longer than the 17 south route but I am glad we did both.

On the Oregon coast there were forest service sites as well as state parks.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #10

Thank you for the input. I went to the AMA today and got maps and a camping guide. There are so many options for camping it is almost mind numbing. When you head down 20 do you stay on it all the way taking the ferry at Port Townsend? What happens to #20 after that, I can't see it on the Google map, do you get on the 101 at that point. How long does it take you to hit Astoria?

Do you have any favorite places that you stop at. If I knew a few places I could start to develop a time line. I have been told that Cannon Beach is a good place and Fort Stevens. Thank you Doug, I really appreciate your input.

Greg

Quote:
Greg, IMHO...the most scenic parts of the WA coast are around Ocean Shores/Long Beach penn. We do that trip at least once every year but tend to head to the coast on highway #20 west. Pick this up south of Bellingham WA on the map. You could even pick up 20 from the eastern side of WA and follow it along. Some VERY pretty (no oceanatic) views are along that route. We head to the south western corner of WA and cross over in\to OR right at the coast (4 mile long bridge) into Astoria. Oregon state parks are nicer than WA's as a rule but reservations MUST be made now, so ya best pre-plan your your route and call ahead, there's toll free #'s around for KOA's and state parks. Best to try to deal direct with the park where you want to be staying at (IF possible). KOA's are another option (and OUR preferance too) and as a rule are more $/night but most are better equipped for what ever you might need. Stay along hwy 101 and 1 if ya get into Calif.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #11

Kent,

Thank you for your suggestions. When we head home we will go up 97, I think. My sister lives in Kelowna and we will probably swing by to say hello to her. If I use Doug's suggestions for going down and your route coming back we have the trip just about covered. All we have to do now is plan our stops along the way.

Are there big differences between state parks and forestry reserves?

It sounds like you had a fantastic trip.

I have to confess that I have cut and pasted the information about your trip into a word document so I can take out my big map and trace the route. This is very strange for me because I ususally just get up and go.

Thank you again for sharing so generously.

Greg

Quote:
The Northern oregon gathering was held at Champoeg state Park which was about 25 miles south of Portland , just off I-5 near Newburg. We had travelled south from B.C. Okanagan via 97 south then we travelled in Washington, 97 south to Brewster, then east to 17 south , to Ephrata, #283, to I-90, west to I -82 to Yakima and Toppenish, #97 to Goldendale,I-84 to 205 south around Portland to I-5. It took us all day to make this trip and found Champoeg in the dark.
From Champoeg we travelled to the Oregon coast via #18 and spent the night at Umpqua Lighthouse. We had checked out Beverly Beach state park and it was too early in the day to stop but it looks very nice, construction on a bride at the entrance area. Jessie Honeyman also looked nice but the only loop open was a loop being used by the ATV users until May 1 st. and we thought we wanted a quieter stay. Umpqua had a lovely little trail around a small lake but truly enjoyed the view at the light house. Lots of treees which would be appreciated in the summer. We went onto Bandan and Bullards Beach where we dropped the trailer and continued the tour on to Brookinngs and made the trip back. Went back up the coast and spent a night at Cape Lookout and thoroughly enjoyed the Three Capes scenic route. It was a great quiet stay to just walk to the beach and listen and watch the breakers crashing on the beach, continued up to Asotia and toured Fort Stevens which is campground city. over 5oo sites. Huge. Went on along the gorge to I82 and decided against two campgrounds , because it was still early and right beside the train tracks. Ainsworth and Viento have access going East on I-82. Lovely parks. We stayed at Columbia Hills on the Washington side. Not as nice as the oregon parks but interesting site with its connection to Lewis and Clark expedition.
Stayed north of Wenatchee on #97 at Lincoln Rock state park , Daroga would have been just as nice and B B park near Chelan. There is a big state park on Lake Chelan which is a big tourist area which we chose to by-pass.

Staying on 97 was a little longer than the 17 south route but I am glad we did both.

On the Oregon coast there were forest service sites as well as state parks.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Note that not a single Oregonian has responded with information about Oregon's coast and camping. I wonder why?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Greg,

We love camping in quieter areas with rugged coastlines and lots of interesting hiking nearby. One of our favorites is Cape Disappointment State Park in Washington. There is a big difference in the quality of sites in the campground though. Our favorites were in the loops by the beach instead of by the lake, and generally the spots closest to the beach were the nicest. The beach sites are arranged in a circular pattern, which means that you don't have a lot of privacy, but it was OK. Cape Lookout is truly gorgeous and if you enjoy history their Interpretive Center is quite interesting (but be prepared to pay admission to it).

In Oregon we particularly love Cape Lookout and Harris Beach State Parks. Unfortunately many of the Harris Beach campsites are close to hwy 101, and in those sites you'll get a lot of road noise. Boardman State Park (just north of Harris Beach) is filled with spectacular scenery with many hiking trails, and is one of our favorite places.

The Cape Perpetua Scenic Area (south of Yachats on the central coast) also has great hiking available, both along the coast and inland in old growth forests. Both areas are really lovely and worth taking the time to explore. There is a National Forest campground there but I haven't seen it.

Personally, I would NOT go camping along the Oregon coast in the summer without reservations. Some sites in our State Parks are put aside for first-come first-served campers, but you'd have to arrive very early to get them, and it would be chancy at best.

It might be helpful to check out this old post which asked a very similar question about the Oregon coastline.

Best wishes!
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #14

Registry
I forgot to mention that Cape Arago, Shore Acres, and Sunset Bay State Parks (just south of Charleston) are also especially lovely. Cape Arago is a great spot for watching marine mammals and all three parks have great trails along a rugged coastline with lovely little beaches. Between Sunset Bay and Charleston is Bastendorf Beach which is perfect for a longer beach walk. Camping is available at Sunset Bay and also at a private and county campground at Bastendorf Beach.

Jeanne
Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #15

Registry
I'll add my 2 cents worth here.

Take a look at the roads leading inland away from the coast. Along many of them are campgrounds that aren't used as much as those on the coast. However most of the inland campgrounds don't have hook-ups.

Look for county parks, they don't get filled up as much as State Parks and are often quieter. Bar View on the north side of Tillamook Bay comes to mind. Avoid Sand Lake unless you're into dune buggies.

For me as a general rule I avoid State Parks along the coast except in the winter. I also doubt that at this time you could get a reservation in any of the State Parks for July, 2008.

Also look at the Forest Service web site for campgrounds. I would imagine all reservation sites are filled, but there are some that are first come first served.

There's also a couple of city parks, at least one anyway. One at Woods which is just inland from Pacific City.

If it was me I'd research and try to locate as many places as possible and be prepared to move to the next if I couldn't get into my first choice.

Byron
KE7TIV
Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #16

Registry
Greg,

The ReserveAmerica website has a great feature for trip planning. Instead of giving it actual dates of your visit, give it a date range and you'll see any openings that fit your criteria throughout that range. I did it as an example for Sunset Bay State Park for the month of July for 2 nights, and here's the results it gave me. I did the same search for Cape Lookout and came up with these results.

I think you still have time to reserve spots in some Oregon State Parks if you'd like, but Byron has a great point that there are other attractive alternatives out there too.

Jeanne
Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #17

Registry
Greg, it L Ks like (Jeanne and Steve) summed it all up. Been to all these places (Cannon Beach is our 'Honeymoon retreat' but use Best Western there). Highway 20 to the other side of the ferry, look for connections to 101 SOUTH, not sure of any connecting numbers right now and my maps are all in the Egg!! Astoria can be made in an easy drive, but a word of caution about the ferry. Check the WA state ferry service site to check times and get there REAL early, this is a BUSY route but the drive south from Port Townsend is worth it. The KOA is Astoria has to be one of the nicest we've stayed in. You can even use their free call ahead services for reservations for you next stay, but I'd plan all the stops along the way NOW and make reservations. They can always be cancelled if not needed. When we 'trailer it' down the coast we plan on only 4 hours DRIVE time. This not only allows more time to stop and smell the???? ....but it gets us into our next stop EARLY so that I (the designated driver) has some more time to recover....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #18

Registry
FYI. Oregon beaches are all, the entire coast line, public property. They're managed by the Oregon DOT.

One of the fun things we've done is to drive 101 and stop at most waysides. Every one is different, some you have to take a short walk to see the ocean, some are high above and you watch the waves break against the rocks. I don't think any of them would cause a problem for our small trailers to turn around.

Another thing to do is explore up the inland roads a few miles. The coast range very lush. You get the feeling of mountains just a couple miles away from the coast. If you should happen to be on the coast when the fog is hanging over the beach, sun can often be found a mile or two inland.

I think Doug's idea of driving 4 hours might not be a good one, it's only about 8 hours border to border driving straight through.

Anyway, Enjoy.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #19

Registry
Byron, YES those 'Waysides' are quite often only a couple hunnerd feet apart, but OHHH, SOOO Lovely. We have done this trip many times in our 'open car' with no windows, heat or side curtains and the aroma seems to change with every bend in the highway....ohhhh, I'm gettin itchy feet just remembering all the good time we had down the coast....
Attached Thumbnails
T4.jpg  
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Byron, YES those 'Waysides' are quite often only a couple hunnerd feet apart, but OHHH, SOOO Lovely. We have done this trip many times in our 'open car' with no windows, heat or side curtains and the aroma seems to change with every bend in the highway....ohhhh, I'm gettin itchy feet just remembering all the good time we had down the coast....

Well? What are you waiting for?

Byron