Our NY campground reservation cancelled - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Our NY campground reservation cancelled

We've been booked for a couple of nights at Watkins Glen state park in late August, made the reservation in early June. We just received notice from New York (via Reserve America) that since our state, Minnesota is on the quarantine list, we are no longer welcome to camp there. We had seen earlier that the Adirondacks and Catskills were off limits and this new restriction came as no surprise. We totally understand but it's disappointing that we're all treated with the same heavy hand, regardless of whether we mask/isolate or not. Oh well, small sacrifice. We are supposed to get a full refund.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We are NY residents but have had reservations cancelled in other states, mostly because the campgrounds were closed. A few reservations we cancelled ourselves because of travel restrictions. Some of the privately owned campgrounds seem to be ignoring some of the rules for out of state campers. And also we are finding the rules and restrictions are constantly changing. All our camping trips for this year are within a couple hours of home.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Watkins Glen is one of my favourite campgrounds and I have stayed there often when the race track was full and it is in beautiful wine & boating country. The Canada/US border is closed (no idea how long?) and we are asked to do voluntary self-isolation. I am thinking about trying camping in the back yard, just for a change.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #4

Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpassmore View Post
We've been booked for a couple of nights at Watkins Glen state park in late August, made the reservation in early June. We just received notice from New York (via Reserve America) that since our state, Minnesota is on the quarantine list, we are no longer welcome to camp there. We had seen earlier that the Adirondacks and Catskills were off limits and this new restriction came as no surprise. We totally understand but it's disappointing that we're all treated with the same heavy hand, regardless of whether we mask/isolate or not. Oh well, small sacrifice. We are supposed to get a full refund.
Never have a problem getting a refund. They are only trying to protect NYS people.
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
We totally understand but it's disappointing that we're all treated with the same heavy hand, regardless of whether we mask/isolate or not.

Well, the USA is #1 and there are many who are not listening or actively thwarting efforts to stop the virus. Perhaps a back of the hand is required.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
George,

My wife and I camped in our backyard a few weeks ago. Our campground is in the woods about 200 yards behind the house. It took me a month to widen the path, but now it's there. It was good to get away from the TV. We enjoyed some great open fire cooking, trimming up trees, gathering firewood. There were no restrictions at all, I even used my chainsaw. I would highly recommend it!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OK, what’s your address, and I’ll put your backyard on my camping schedule. Seriously, you’re lucky to have your own campsite.
Bill & C Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We are supposed to camp at Sampson state park in early Sept, but since we are from GA it looks like we may be getting a cancellation notice soon since GA is also on the list.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

Syracuse, NY
Bill,

I may be lucky to have my own campsite, however, I also have a cabin on an island that's 2 hours away in a country that is denying us entry, Canada! We would be there, instead of the backyard, in a heartbeat.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
We've been camping at home too (ontario). The trailer is parked next to the house and is plugged into the house electricity. When it is super-hot, we just retreat to the trailer and run the AC - much cheaper than trying to cool the house. We can watch TV, etc too. Great for sleeping, especially in a rainstorm.

As we live in a rural area, we also have a nice firepit with Adirondack chairs. We have showers, flush toilets, and no noisy radios. No food storage problems either.😂😂😂. No worry about the dog.

So this works for us at the moment but I don't think it would be so great in an urban area.

We are camping in northern Ontario in the fall so we don't have to cross over to the USA . There is now talk that the US/ Canada border will be closed until 2021.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

Syracuse, NY
Bummer to hear about closing until 2021. I have property, buildings, other stuff the may need attention. It would be nice if they opened it up to property owners so we could check on our stuff. Nothing worse than a limb damaging the building and being overrun by critters and rain. We don't have an issue with isolation, because that is what we do when we go to the cottage.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #12

United States
Registry
NY camping update

NY is (unfortunately) one of those states that have outsourced their reservation system to Reserve America. I was directed to cancel my reservation, for a full refund, by calling RA directly. I've been on hold for about an hour with the worst music I've ever had to endure, interrupted about every 3 minutes by a message telling me I was the next caller in line and to have my information ready. I finally hung up and attempted their live chat solution. Unlike most live chat systems, this on is fronted by a dumb AI assistant. When I finally answered all of their questions about the nature of my chat I received a message that there was no one available to chat right now. I was offered the option of downloading a transcript. Clicking that button did nothing. Or I could click the leave feedback button. Clicking that one gave me a message telling me the feedback option was disabled. They also offer SMS option which I'm attempting but not holding my breath. I could use their on line cancellation option instead of talking to a live person, which I suspect they would prefer (and purposely under staff to encourage that option) since I would be hit with both a cancellation fee and a service charge totaling $15 or so. I'm retired, so there's a lot I will endure for $15.
St Paul, MN
Old 08-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #13

United States
Registry
Contrast and compare to Minnesota's reservation system

Minnesota is one of those states that prefers not to outsource services. That often results in less than desirable outcomes like the time MN decided to write their own licensing software. $100M+ and we're still waiting.

But with regards to camping, the MN system works pretty well. And then there are situations like this. We're scheduled to camp at Fort Ridgely state park this coming weekend. Today we received a call from the MN DNR telling us that due to flooding, sections of the park including our site, were unavailable. They had taken the liberty of reserving a block of sites at a nearby state park. We had the option of transferring our reservation or getting a full refund. Nice. So we're camping at Flandrau state park in New Ulm this weekend. Two spot away from our site for the Scrambled Eggs outing next month.
St Paul, MN
Old 08-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Usually whenever they initiate cancellation on my reservations, no action is required on my part and I eventually see the refund. When you log in to the site, does it still show your reservation is active?
Old 08-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #15

United States
Registry
Well in this case, I received the email from NY state and they instructed me to contact RA to cancel. I suspect the issue is that with COVID, the picture is changing daily, so software automation isn't keeping up with the rules.
St Paul, MN
Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Well in this case, I received the email from NY state and they instructed me to contact RA to cancel. I suspect the issue is that with COVID, the picture is changing daily, so software automation isn't keeping up with the rules.
Hope it works out well for you and you get the full refund.
Looks like I'll be jumping through the same hoops about 2 weeks after you, unless GA starts doing better, which I seriously doubt.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If the software doesn’t provide a means for an automatic refund in cases of involuntary cancellation, Reserve America needs to fix its software. Surely that can be done remotely during the pandemic.

States that use platform need to apply some pressure. The vendor has no incentive to fix the problem- they profit when people give up and take the loss. Maybe an e-mail to the NY park administrator while you’re waiting on hold?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
We had reservations in TX, NM, CO, and AZ on our current trip. NM canceled our state park reservations and refunded our money. We camped in TX and CO state parks and are now in AZ. In AZ we just left a USFS campground (Canyon Point - highly recommend) and are now in a military campground on our way to another AZ state park. NM is still closed.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
We had reservations in TX, NM, CO, and AZ on our current trip. NM canceled our state park reservations and refunded our money. We camped in TX and CO state parks and are now in AZ. In AZ we just left a USFS campground (Canyon Point - highly recommend) and are now in a military campground on our way to another AZ state park. NM is still closed.

Since you have military campground access, did you check the military base Famcamps in New Mexico?
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
Since you have military campground access, did you check the military base Famcamps in New Mexico?
Not this trip. We have stayed at Kirtland and White Sands, not Holloman. We tend towards parks, COE and USFS because sites are more spread out, private and usually “in the woods”. We’ve stayed in many nice FamCamps, some not so nice. We’re at Fort Tuthill in Flagstaff now, it’s run by Luke AFB in Phoenix. It’s OK, we probably won’t return.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote