Our NY campground reservation cancelled - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
Not this trip. We have stayed at Kirtland and White Sands, not Holloman. We tend towards parks, COE and USFS because sites are more spread out, private and usually “in the woods”. We’ve stayed in many nice FamCamps, some not so nice. We’re at Fort Tuthill in Flagstaff now, it’s run by Luke AFB in Phoenix. It’s OK, we probably won’t return.

One of the nicest ones I've seen was Pacific Beach in Washington State. Obviously not near where you are right now but if you're ever in that area be sure to check it out. It was on a bluff overlooking the beach. It was very nice.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We just got back from a trip to a COE campground only 112 miles from home right here in IllAnnoy.
The campground was as nice as ever except no cash was allowed to change hands so we could not buy firewood at the campground.
We went with friends and enjoyed the time at the campground, but the many attractions in the area were either unavailable or no longer worth the visit
At least we went to the levy, if only to find it was dry.

I hope I live to see a time return when I can travel once again without the threat of restrictions or incarceration. I doubt it at this point.

New York has a lot of attractions worth the visit, but I doubt we will ever feel completely comfortable there again even to visit friends who live there.

I guess the curve has taken more than a couple of weeks to flatten and maybe it will take a lifetime for some to feel safe to travel again.
For now, all the joy seems destroyed and the only place we can visit is a twisted new version of Buffalo Springfield.
Our hope is,of course, that things will improve and we can once again share a big slice of American pie.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
One of the nicest ones I've seen was Pacific Beach in Washington State. Obviously not near where you are right now but if you're ever in that area be sure to check it out. It was on a bluff overlooking the beach. It was very nice.
Checked it out on the map - looks like a great location. Next time we’re up the coast we will check it out.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #24

Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I hope I live to see a time return when I can travel once again without the threat of restrictions or incarceration. I doubt it at this point.
This trip has not been as enjoyable with all the restrictions in place. I used to buy T-shirts from places we’ve been. This trip yielded a Colorado mask and today I bought a National Parks mask. I hope we can get back to normal too.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our NY campground reservation cancelled

Thought this year was going to be a complete bust. The state parks we usually go to were closed, and then by the time we found out they were open, they were booked solid. Even if we had gotten something, some shut down again.

Then last week on a whim, we decided to book a few days at the Flagstaff KOA. It’s been unseasonably hot at home and smoky from area fires, and we were desperate for a respite before school starts on Monday.

I hadn’t stayed at a private campground since I was a kid, and my wife never. It’s a win. Well run with sensible COVID mitigation policies, very reasonable rates considering Flagstaff is a major tourist destination, and a great mix of campers from luxurious to rustic (one other molded, an Escape 5.0TA). Direct access to hiking trails in the national forest. Bonus is decent WiFi, which has slowed to a virtual standstill at home.

Point is with private campgrounds you deal directly with the operators and not 3rd party vendors. Flexibility is so important in these uncertain times. Under normal circumstances we never would have considered a place like this.

It’s great to be out!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #26

Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Then last week on a whim, we decided to book a few days at the Flagstaff KOA. It’s been unseasonably hot at home and smoky from area fires, and we were desperate for a respite before school starts on Monday.
It’s been in the 40s overnight and about 80 during the day this week in Flagstaff. Students are returning to NAU so there is a bit more traffic. The weather here sure beats south Texas right now!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Could be worse

Vermont State Parks opened on June 26. Prior to that all reservations were cancelled. Refunds were given via gift certificates. Once they've got your money, I guess they can do what ever they want. I would not be happy.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #28

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
We’ve relocated our Watkins Glen trip to Cowenesque Lake/Tomkins campground, just south of the NY border in PA. This is a Federal recreation area created as part of a flood control project in the 70’s after tropical storm Agnes inundated the southern tier of NY. Coincidentally, our house in Painted Post was destroyed during the floods. First time I’ve have ever been to this park.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #29

Name: Trip
Trailer: shopping
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpassmore View Post
NY is (unfortunately) one of those states that have outsourced their reservation system to Reserve America. I was directed to cancel my reservation, for a full refund, by calling RA directly.
Interesting. I had a reservation made pre pandemic and when NYS closed its campsites I got an email telling me that my reservation would be cancelled but I could make a new one when the system opened up again. If I didn't make a new reservation within a specified period I would get a full refund. I did not rebook and received a refund on my credit card without doing anything.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Interesting. I had a reservation made pre pandemic and when NYS closed its campsites I got an email telling me that my reservation would be cancelled but I could make a new one when the system opened up again. If I didn't make a new reservation within a specified period I would get a full refund. I did not rebook and received a refund on my credit card without doing anything.
That's how it usually works, but in this situation, the campground is not closed and they are not cancelling your reservation. They just expect you to quarantine someplace else for 14 days before coming to the campground.
GA hasn't got any better so it looks like I'll have to call and cancel our reservation. My sister tried calling to cancel the other day but was on hold over 1 1/2 hours so just sucked up the $15 cancellation fee.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Good news! I called to cancel our NY state park reservations for next month but of course was put on hold.
One of the menu options was one that confirmed that NY is still charging a 7.25 cancellation fee, plus a 7.25 admin fee to cancel. At that point I just cancelled on line. I wanted to complain about the policy (it wasn't our fault we can't camp there, it's the state of NY decision), and I saw the live chat option and got a helpful person (Linda) that is refunding the $14.25 cancellation fees.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #32

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Good news! I called to cancel our NY state park reservations for next month but of course was put on hold.
One of the menu options was one that confirmed that NY is still charging a 7.25 cancellation fee, plus a 7.25 admin fee to cancel. At that point I just cancelled on line. I wanted to complain about the policy (it wasn't our fault we can't camp there, it's the state of NY decision), and I saw the live chat option and got a helpful person (Linda) that is refunding the $14.25 cancellation fees.
Ditto for me. I cancelled on line but also used the chat option. I also sent a note to NY asking for a refund of the $14.50. I heard back on chat that they would forward a note to NY about the charges. I got a nice note back from NY along with a refund. My faith in humanity is restored. And I need to learn to cut some people some slack, especially in these time.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #33

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I think private campgrounds are more responsive and motivated because it's how they earn their living, and campers have potential as future customers if made happy.

Public campgrounds may have a more bureaucratic mentality.

Many people seem to think that we will eventually get back to our old normal, especially if a vaccine is developed, but I have doubts that things will ever be the same. I haven't been able to find an estimate as to how many people need to be vaccinated in order to achieve herd immunity for Covid-19, but Covid-19 seems to be as contagious as measles, and I did find an estimate that 94% of the population needs to be immune to interrupt the chain of transmission of measles. Just imagine the logistics of vaccinating 94% of Americans -- 282 million people.

Another worry is that it's unknown if a vaccine will protect a person for life, or would require booster shots. It took 9 years between the time the measles virus was isolated and a vaccine was licensed, and it took another 18 years before cases dropped dramatically -- and another 19 years before measles was considered eliminated in the US.

And guess what? Measles is back.

Oh, and not to be a pessimist, but what if a different SARS mutation occurs, and the vaccine for Covid-19 is useless against the new mutation? Covid-19 is SARS-CoV-2; the 2002 SARS outbreak that killed 774 worldwide is SARS-CoV-1. Will there be a SARS-CoV-3? I think it's a matter of when, not if.

Sorry to go down that path.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #34

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I’m happy with reserve America. 3 of my outings got canceled early in the season, and they refunded my money. I’m happy with the OH state parks, 4 long weekend outings. They’ve been a bit inconsistent but over all good. Common sense COVID policies. Mask inside, keep distant. I think they just recently opened the playgrounds but common areas are cordoned off. They preach self contained camping, but the shower houses have been open and usually some toilet houses. I’m in Kentucky right now for a longer outing, at Laurel Lake Camping Resort. It’s been just fine here. The Cumberland Falls are beautiful. Very good hiking as well in Daniel Boone National Forest. Masks inside seems to be the only noticeable rule for the campground. Kind of empty during the week, full on the weekend.

I am saddened by all the negativity and hate. Pandemics aren’t easy.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote