Over and out - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
This was sitting in the Beacon Hill Campground in Intercourse, PA. Just for you, Donna.
Attached Thumbnails
Beacon_Hill_Classic.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #22

Registry
Some fall colors in New England. We hit them just right in Northern Vermont.
Attached Thumbnails
Trees_and_lake.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
This was sitting in the Beacon Hill Campground in Intercourse, PA. Just for you, Donna.
Sweet! Wonder if it would pull a 5th wheel??
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Some fall colors in New England. We hit them just right in Northern Vermont.
Nice! That sight is one that I miss. After growing up in Michigan and now living near Tulsa, every fall I pine for good fall color. Stay awhile and enjoy it! Maybe after it peaks you can drive south slowly and follow the peak.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Per, We saw the truck when we were there in August, did you see this at Beacon Hill as well
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0019_1.JPG  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #26

Registry
Bill: yes we saw it, at a distance (we were in the cheap seats near the entrance).

We are currently in a KOA in Armadillo, Texas, primarily for the WiFi, but we stayed last night at Brush Lake State Park in eastern Oklahoma. Fabulous setup: nicely done cement pads, lakefront site, beautiful weather, only a few campers, and a low price. Who'd a thunk it!

We did manage to do most of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but the last day the fog was as thick as soup and it chased us down the mountain toward Asheville, N.C. Some truly treacherous driving.

The first picture is of Maja enjoying a "Doggie Mocha" and the second is of the "husband benches" outside Keepsake quilting in Center Harbor, N.H.
Attached Thumbnails
Doggie_Mocha.jpg   Gentlemen_in_waiting__Keepsake_Quilting.jpg  

Old 10-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #27

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Ain't traveling and retirement great when you don't have to worry about where your going and when you get there. Momma and I love it, we were gone for 3 months this summer got back 2 weeks ago and we're ready to go again. Our rig at Beacon Hill, early aug 08
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0004_2.JPG  
Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #28

Registry
I promised more postings than I delivered during our trip, so I will add a few items that might be relevant in retrospect.

We drove a total of 10,381 miles without major mishaps. A broken windshield and a leaky toilet valve during the last three days was the extent of it. Not much, considered.

I kept careful records of our mileages, fillups, and costs, so I now have something concrete to report. Gas prices were already starting to drop when we started, and I had one price at $2.62 per gallon as a low. Since we had budgeted for as high as $4.50 that came as a pleasant surprise. However, there was ethanol in most of the gas, so I dreaded calculating mileage. I lowered my speed to 60 or 61 on the speedo, which works out to a true 58 as a cruising speed according to the calibration done a few years ago. The large cover over the FanTastic Fan was replaced with a MaxxFan with a much lower profile, hoping for less air resistance. Because of some modifications the trailer weight was likely greater than our previous cross-country trip. I expected a drop in gas mileage because of that, so it came as no surprise that it actually worked out to 15.24 mpg overall (it was 15.7 mpg the last time). I was able to keep the transmission in 4th lockup for long stretches without the tranny hunting, and that was a plus. The transmission oil temperature usually dropped drastically when the torque converter was out of the picture. When conditions warranted I often shifted manually to 3rd to avoid most of the hunting. I had expected worse.

Overall it was a great trip, with the Burro behaving normally and tracking superbly. Having a dog along did inhibit some activities and slow us down a little, but it was worth it.

Some notes from the road: roads deteriorated considerably in the eastern half of the country. I thought the Ohio Turnpike should have paid me for driving on it. Also, merging onto a freeway is a procedure not well known in the east (confirming the opinion of a friend of mine who moved to Pennsylvania years ago). Most seemed baffled by the procedure.

The most beautiful campground we found was in eastern Oklahoma (see picture), and the colors in New England were spectacular. Ironically, the most beautiful colors we found was on our last day, going down the Santiam Highway in the Cascades.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon was awesome (11 degrees the night before we got there), and Death Valley was very interesting. Our dog was snoozing under the trailer one morning as I downloaded some pictures. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement through the trailer door and realized that a large coyote was about 25 feet away and headed for a snack. I burst out the door and scared it away, and a good thing too, because they are reputed to eat dogs with some regularity. With a speed topping out at about 40 mph I figure we were about three seconds away from the unthinkable.

On the way out of Death Valley we crossed two really tough mountain ranges and stopped at an overlook with a deep and narrow canyon below. The sound started as a roar as two fighter jets streaked down the canyon at eye level right in front of us, banking 90 degrees through the gap and down toward the valley floor. Kathy appreciated this spectacular gesture, especially since it was her 65th birthday. Her pleas for a repeat went unheeded.

We met some interesting people, and somehow avoided the unpleasant ones.

I'll spare you some of the anecdotes, but we saw and experienced plenty of interesting things, so it was a very successful trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing_at_Brush_Lake__Oklahoma.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome home Per and Kathy. Sounds like an absolutely spectacular trip and I was grateful for the opportunity to live it vicariously! Can't wait to see more photos (hint, hint, hint)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #30

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
On the way out of Death Valley we crossed two really tough mountain ranges and stopped at an overlook with a deep and narrow canyon below.
I know the exact pass you were on.

I drove it the other direction, in my Element, with snall tent trailer in tow.

It was about midnite when I started down.. and I am glad it was dark! Seeing how far down it was would have given me a heart attack. It was not an easy trek.. I was askeered!

Whens the next trip?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
The most beautiful campground we found was in eastern Oklahoma (see picture), and
Let me guess. Is that a picture of Greenleaf State Park?

There are some nice campgrounds here in OK, but I am surprised to hear that you didn't encounter more beautiful ones elsewhere in all that distance.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #32

Registry
It was Brush Lake in Eastern Oklahoma. We were in several very nice places, but of course these opinions are quite subjective. A very nice one on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and vying for top honors is our old favorite Marster Spring near Paisley, OR. The one below was just south of the Adirondacs in NY.
Attached Thumbnails
From_campsite_south_of_the_Adirondacs.jpg