Paid to fish!!! Free camping!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Exclamation Paid to fish!!! Free camping!!!

If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'!

How many of us Washington-/Oregon-ian Fishing Fools (Fishertonians) have participated in this too-good-to-be-true-except-it-is Bounty Program?
The Northern Pikeminnow, bless its invasive little heart, has become such a menace in the lower Columbia river that combined agencies have gotten together, formed, AND FUNDED a network of paystations at which you will be paid from $4 to $8 for every Pikeminnow over 9" long. That is, unless you're lucky enough to catch one that's tagged, in which case you'll get FIVE HUNDRED SMACKERS for it.
But wait!
There's more!...
There's lots of free camping for cheapskates like me!
Hmmm...
No-fee camping...no-limit fishing...PAID to do what others (e.g.:your spouse) label a waste of time...being on the right side of "the Greenies" for a change...
If it gets any better, I don't see how!

Francesca

The 2011 season for the fishery will start May 1, 2011 for all stations. Season will end September 30, 2011.
Map of the paystations posted below.

Read all about it at 2011 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery
Attached Thumbnails
pikeminnow_map.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
wish i lived closer....sounds like the PRIME deal of the season!!!!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
I had to double check that this wasn't posted on April 1st.
Are you in an area where you can use two poles at a time to double your chances? A dedicated angler could possibly make a living doing this for the summer. What a break for someone who is temporarily out of work.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'!

There's more!...
There's lots of free camping for cheapskates like me!
Hmmm...
No-fee camping...no-limit fishing...PAID to do what others (e.g.:your spouse) label a waste of time...being on the right side of "the Greenies" for a change...
Where is the camping info?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
You get paid to catch Northern Pike?! Good eating and fun to catch. what fun! Wish I lived closer too
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Aren't pike the ones full of bones? It says somewhere in the info that the fish are hard to catch! (Aren't all fish hard to catch? They are when I fish.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Pike aren't particularly hard to catch. They do have lots of bones. However, it appears that these aren't pike. I just read up a bit at www.pikeminnow.org and it seems these used to be called northern squawfish. Not sure how they compare to actual northern pike (which I've caught and eaten often enough).

I haven't found the free camping info yet.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband went trout fishing below the Trout Hatchery here in Decorah where the Eagles nest and brought me 5 trout. The State just released them into the stream so they, the trout didn't know what they were doing. The were very good.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Where is the camping info?
The free camping information is really hard to find. I know one that I found by knowing there was free camping the area. Just below John Day Dam there a long strip of road with a few toilets and lots of pull out for camping. If you're on I-84 headed west you can see campers down there. You get there from the first exit past the dam going west.
There's some areas around Bonneville Dam that I think camping is allowed, but I'm not sure how to get to them.
Maybe some others know about some of the other places on Washington side.

FYI,, You do need a valid fishing license for where you're fishing.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Aren't pike the ones full of bones? It says somewhere in the info that the fish are hard to catch! (Aren't all fish hard to catch? They are when I fish.)
I don't believe you get to keep the fish.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
I had to double check that this wasn't posted on April 1st.
Are you in an area where you can use two poles at a time to double your chances? A dedicated angler could possibly make a living doing this for the summer. What a break for someone who is temporarily out of work.
The regulations say you have to abide by local fishing regulations, either Washington or Oregon regulations depending on which side of river you either fish from or launch your boat. Oregon does NOT allow more than a single pole and I don't believe Washington does either.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, all!

The area in the map is mostly Corps of Engineers jurisdiction. Agency policy is to allow dispersed camping throughout the district. There are also a number of Corps developed (fee) campgrounds. Info for Corps Recreation in this area is at Walla Walla District - Recreation Index - Army Corps of Engineers
Free camping is also permitted at most WDFW public access sites in the area. You need to post the Vehicle Use Permit issued with your fishing/hunting license at these sites.
As noted above, Pikeminnow isn't a true Pike. I don't know if they're even edible.
I just think this sounds like a lot of useful fun, and wouldn't it be nice if a person could earn a bit towards the cost of a trip?
It's not clear to me what happens to the fish once the bounty's paid. As for two poles: Washington does sell a second-pole permit that may be applicable to this fishery.
By the way, speaking of this area, does anybody out there like Channel Catfish? I think I found a Mother Lode...I was at Madam Dorian Park (free) at the mouth of the Walla Walla river a few weeks ago, and they're taking real big ones out of there. Where's Donna with the pickled okra?

To the Hunt!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote