Palo Duro Canyon trip report - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Palo Duro Canyon trip report

This was spring break week, so last Sunday I travelled to Palo Duro Canyon (south of Amarillo) for some camping. This state park is home to the second largest canyon in the USA. It’s nowhere near as big as the Grand Canyon though... only about 800 feet deep.

As one begins driving down from the canyon rim, the nearest campground (Sagebrush) becomes visible. My trailer is the second white dot from the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PaloDuroSagebrushCG.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	81591

Monday was a pleasant, sunny day in the upper 70s. I started my day by driving through the entire park, which helped me decide what to do next. I took a hike on the Capitol Peak Trail. It’s about 3 miles round trip on a loop with little or no elevation gain, and I thought it would help my legs get used to hiking again. This trail is primarily for mountain bikers. I was passed by 3 of them during my walk.

Name:	DSCF1561sm.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	81592

I took some pictures in infrared.

Name:	IRDSCF4056BWE-sm.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	81593

Name:	IRDSCF4059BWE-sm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	81594
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Toward evening I drove back to the rim and hiked a bit of the CCC Trail. I also asked another tourist to take a photo of me at the overlook where the CCC Trail begins.

Name:	PaloDuroOverlook.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	81595

I spotted this interesting rock formation below the trail at one point...

Name:	DSCF1596tpz-sm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	81596

The next day was cloudy, cool, and very windy. I waited until after lunch to hike the Lighthouse Trail. Although it was mid-50s, the wind chill made it feel like about 40* to me. I started out heavily dressed and took off layers as I progressed on this 5.75 mile (round trip, out and back) trail. About a mile out, there’s a trail connecting to the Capitol Peak Trail I’d been on the day before, and I was surprised to see a sign which read, “bikes only”! Oh well, I hadn’t inconvenienced anyone the day before.

The rugged canyon walls make for good scenery along the way. (This is regular B&W, not Infrared.)

Name:	DSCF1563BWE-sm.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	81597

For the first two miles the trail is fairly flat with some mild hills. Then suddenly, one must begin to climb through a steep, narrow channel in the rock with much loose sand making the climb slippery. (Some people on the way down through here merely slid on their butts... it was safer.) After proceeding thus for perhaps 50 yards, the hiker comes out onto the top of a hill with a view of the Lighthouse formation just ahead.

Name:	DSCF1604tpzX2-sm.jpg
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	81598
Old 03-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

Oklahoma
You can see another steep climb ahead in the above picture. It’s about the same distance and steepness as the previous one, but at least this one is on more solid rock and the loose stuff was avoidable. Once up this hill, there’s a flat table of rock at about butt height to climb up, with the two spires rising above.

Name:	DSCF1605tpz-sm.jpg
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	81599

Name:	DSCF1606tpz-sm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	81600

Name:	P1010640BWE-sm.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	81601

After sitting and walking around this area for a while and taking many photos, I was getting cold so I started back. No, I did not slide on the way back down through the loose stuff, I was too proud. I know, I know, “pride goeth before a fall,” right? But I did not fall, praise the Lord! The hike back seemed much longer than the hike to the formation... I was tired and sore by the time I got back to the car. Enough exercise! I slept well that night, then headed home the next day.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great trip report and pictures, Mike.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Thanks for the trip report and the great pictures, Mike. It looks like a really interesting park. And thanks for the self portrait too - it's nice to put a face to the name!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Great adventure and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Enjoyed the pictures and the narrative Mike. Thanks for posting.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Comanche hideout in this interesting book too

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Thanks for the photos and the narrative. We toured the canyon a couple of years ago and thought it was a beautiful place.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Thanks to all.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427932391.862718.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	82111

Visited Palo Duro last summer and really enjoyed it. Nice hikes and Dennis could go with us.
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Thanks for the trip report and the great pictures, Mike. It looks like a really interesting park. And thanks for the self portrait too - it's nice to put a face to the name!
Hey I was just going to say that. ANYWAY....lol. Thanks for sharing Mike.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Nice photos & good report. Thanks for sharing.

We were there in Oct. last year. We were more impressed or at least liked Caprock Canyons State Pk more. It is southeast of Amarillo/northeast of Lubbock near Quitaque (Kitty-Quay). They have the state of Texas Bison herd.

Caprock Canyons SP is our favorite Texas state park we have visited for scenery. In many ways neater vistas than Palo Duro. Somewhat similar with a lot more of reds and erosion sculpted vistas, but Caprock Canyons seem to be brighter reds. Much vaster vistas for certain at Caprock. Seeing Bison is always neat.

We didn't get to camp in the Canyon at Palo Duro. Too full. Called on the way to see if Caprock had 'room at the inn', all the campsites were full, but they did have an overflow area. Turns out we lucked out with the overflow site. It had water & electric & it had sewer as well. We were the only one there or any were near by. It was at one side of the Bison Pasture. Yep, Bison had been by the site & left their scat. Bison were crossing the road to the site on the way in & they spend most of their time out from the site. But we never saw any in the mowed overflow area. $10 & free entry with TX Parks Pass which only gets you into the park, not for the camping fee. (Had W, E & Sewer a bonus.)

A few photos of Caprock:
Attached Thumbnails
aaCapRCanyon.JPG   aaCaprockBison.JPG  

aaCapRCsite.JPG   aCapRockCmpsite.JPG  

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #14

Oklahoma
That was a good price for a nice campsite.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
We also camped at Palo Duro St Park for a couple of nights on our way back to MT from our month long trip after picking up the Oliver on Mar 3rd. Had it not been for Mike's write up we might have missed this one altogether. Glad we stayed but will fill in more once I have had the time to do a complete write up of our trip and camp stays.

Thanks Mike
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote