ParkLiner in the Big Easy! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
ParkLiner in the Big Easy!

We just returned from a five night trip to New Orleans in our new PL! We stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort. It was a cool park with a pool, hot tub, laundry facilities, fitness room, full time staff and it's safe being that it's walled and gated. We walked two blocks or so into the heart of the French Quarter every day. At night after dinner we took a cab back to the park. Definitely safer than walking back at night. It was fun to try some urban "camping"! I'm a cyclist and managed to hook with some other riders and get in a few good rides as well. I drove 70-80 mph both ways with the PL in tow. No issues whatsoever. I'd recommend the FQRV resort for anyone needing an urban fix. The food is absolutely amazing! Oh-the PL was by far the smallest, cheapest camper in the park. There were at least a dozen bus sized, million dollar motor homes all lit up for the Sugar Bowl at the resort. Fun to see!
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Congrats on the nice trip. 70-80, wow. What's your tow vehicle and how was your fuel economy? Please be aware that if you have ST (trailer) tires on the PL, they are likely to be rated for 65 mph max.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #3

Tennessee
Hmmm not sure about the rating but I'll check. My. My vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Landcruiser.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Wow 70 to 80mph? What's the Legal speed limit there?
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm interested in knowing the maximum MPH rating on the trailer tires!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Wow 70 to 80mph? What's the Legal speed limit there?
Per AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws: Towing speed limits for the part of the word:

Louisiana : " 55 mph, day, 50 mph, night for brake-equipped trailers 15 to 32 feet long, 50 mph for trailers without brakes less than 15 feet; all others, 45 mph."

Mississippi "55 mph unless otherwise posted"

Arkansas: "Speed limits are 70 mph on rural interstates; 55 mph on urban freeways; or as posted."

Tennessee: Rural interstate, 70 mph or as otherwise posted.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Tennessee
I'm not really concerned about the speed limit. (I know shame on me! Spare me the nanny comments however I am concerned about the tire ratings. I'll check that out.
Anyway the point of my post was to help my fellow campers with a new, additional option for which to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
There are many more reasons than the posted speed limit to take care when towing - here's a good article. How to Tow at the Maximum Controllable Speed - HowStuffWorks
We do, however, appreciate your info Carol. Don't need to pick up a speeding ticket. We are also under the impression that the tire ratings on the trailer are 65 mph.

Take care out there. Safe travels and, as always, Happy Trails!

(Nanny) Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
I'm not really concerned about the speed limit. (I know shame on me! Spare me the nanny comments however I am concerned about the tire ratings. I'll check that out.
Anyway the point of my post was to help my fellow campers with a new, additional option for which to travel.

Famous last words !

The comments regarding state towing speed limits were also for information purposes to your fellow campers. One of the good things about this forum is many of us learn something new about our trailers or towing everyday, even those who have been towing for years.

It is possible someone new to towing reading your post may be totally unaware that many of the states you passed through have towing speed limits or that their trailer tires also have a speed rating as you where apparently unaware of. On that point - if the tires on our trailer are marked with ST on them the answer is most probable 65 mph.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
One thing I'll give you about Parkliners, or at least ours, we don't have problems towing it at any speed. Having owned a number of trailers, I have never had one tow so solidly. It tows like a dream Having said that, I am a speed limit (or less) driver, but that's just me every day.

One of these days we will visit New Orleans and that general area. Never been there.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #11

Tennessee
Frank- The World War II museum is a must see. We spent five hours there. A tour of the cemeteries is also unbelievable. The Zoo is one of the best in the country. And the food......

Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Thanks for sharing Tab, sounds like you have become quite a fan of New Orleans, I am sure hoping to see some places in this wonderful country in my little Parkliner.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Normally people refer to urban camping in reference to camping on the street or other places in an urban environment, usually without power or amenities.

But your camping experience sounds 5 star! Looks like a great way to stay close to the city.

French Quarter RV Resort - French Quarter RV Resort
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had a bad experience in New Orleans several years ago and will never return. Camping in a walled in compound is not our style, but glad you had a good time there Tab.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Way too expensive for an rv park, you are paying $150/night to subsidize the sport that is in town that weekend, not camping.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks like a nice city campground but my eyes popped at the daily rate. Can just imagine how much a hotel must be! Will have to save my pennies for that trip
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #17

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Glad you ha fun!
But WOW $$$$$$ !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #18

Tennessee
I paid $89 a night with a good Sams discount. Yes it is a walled campground. However, I was not there to take in the natural views. I was there to take in the New Orleans Jazz, the city and what it had to offer.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Way too expensive for an rv park, you are paying $150/night to subsidize the sport that is in town that weekend, not camping.
Many of us don't consider staying in any type of RV park regardless of location camping either!

I have been known to stop/camp/park what ever you wish to call it, in cities to see the local attractions. Have parked/camped in my trailer in Vegas for a few fun nights as well as other hot spots over the years.

The trailer is simple a substitute for a hotel room - why not you have it with you anyways & in many cases you are going to be more comfortable in your own space & may actually save a bit of money as you are able to eat your meals at the trailer rather than in a hotel restaurant.

The other option when wanting to spend some time exploring a large urban area you are passing through is to try and find a spot to leave the trailer unattended (which is probable more risky than staying in it), if its a secure location you are probable going to have to pay a nightly fee for it, on top of the cost of the hotel room and eating at restaurants all your meals. Good bet you will be spending more than $150 a day going that route & probable not as comfortable as you would be staying in your own trailer.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
We are talking Louisiana here...speed limits?
rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner