Phoenix Area Campround ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Any recommendations for a Phoenix area campground? I have a Casita 17 SD and this is my first visit to Phoenix. Looking for site w/ electric and water, thanks, D.
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Usery Mountain Park is to the east in Mesa, and easy commute into Phoenix and region.

Full of snowbirds this time of year tho. I have stayed there and can vouche for it's niceness.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #3

Thanks Gina, this is my shakedown cruise. I have to go to Phoenix anyway so I might as well check things out on my "new to me" Casita. Tires checked, bearings packed, all systems function in driveway, we shall see, D.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Lake Pleasant campground would be very nice this time of year and pretty close in yet out enough you'll feel like your actually camping.

lake pleasant

Cave Creek Park would be nice as well and is very close to Scottsdale if you're wanting to hang out there.

Cave Creek
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
Since this is your first trip, try the KOA Kampground in Apache Junction, AZ. See picture.

www.koa.com/where/az/03167/

We picked up our new travel trailer, in Mesa, AZ, on the day before the New Year. We picked the KOA because it was close to all sorts of RV stores. We needed to buy several items, sewer hose, sewer adapter, locking bumper ends (so we did not lose the sewer pipe while bouncing down the road), black water tank treatment, etc. This location gave us the chance to spend a couple of nights and run around buying the items we needed to set up the trailer.

The Apache Junction RV Service and Supply is nearby. They have an extensive supply of RV parts and supplies. Camping World and several RV dealers are on Apache Trail / Main Street (the name changes to keep us out of towners confused) to the west.

Don't forget Harbor Freight at 10603 Apache Trail, Apache Junction. My favorite purchase is the magnetic trailer alignment kit.

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95684

There are Walmarts in the area. Closest is at 2550 West Apache Trail.

The biggest drawback is that the Apache Junction KOA is at the east end of the Phoenix valley. It may be a long way from where you need to go. Check a map.

Russ

Attached Thumbnails
AJ_KOA.JPG  
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback, I'm waiting for my friend to call me tonight to confirm what area of Phoenix we will be in, that will determine which of your recommendations to select. I am looking forward to the first Casita adventure, D.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
if you are traveling next week, you might consider a stop at Quartzsite, where there will be many folks to help, oogle and give advise.

Quartzsite Fiberglass Gathering

It's a boondock, but it would be a great one niter for you.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, David! We second Gina's idea - if you will be cruising I-10 on Feb 5/6/7/8, please check out the info on the Quartzsite Gathering at Dome Rock. Hope to see you there - safe travels, L 'n D
Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Russ and Maria, Is that Lil bunk House the one that sat by twin Knowls on main? I drove by it everyday and wanted to check it out but never did.
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Russ and Maria, Is that Lil bunk House the one that sat by twin Knowls on main? I drove by it everyday and wanted to check it out but never did.
Yes, I found it on Craigs list. The seller was one of the company owners. This unit was his demo, taken to RV dealers and couple of RV shows. Never slept in, plumbing never used. Only the refrigerator was used.

We are real happy with it. I think a new 17 foot egg might be a better long term investment. We were trying to put together a new egg deal. The tow vehicle, a 1975 Scout II, is a work in progress. It was not quite ready for a round trip to the Casita or Scamp factory. I dumped our "ready $$" into upgrading this thirsty tug. We looked at a couple of used (4 or 5 year old) 18 foot used "stickies" on Main street. Seems that both dealers were asking 3 to 4 thousand dollars over NADA book. Then we looked at this one. Only 59 more payments and this one is ours .

We took it out a couple of weeks ago. 2 nights in north phoenix and 4 nights at the KOA in Blythe, CA. Tried to get reservations in Quartzsite without much success (called 3 places and then gave up). Had quite a tour of the Imperial sand dunes and saw lots of salad greens in the Imperial Valley (missed a turn on the way to Yums, AZ). Got the Equal-i-zer hitch setup that was recommended on this site, tows perfectly. Still need to do some more work on the electrical system.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #11

Thank you all again for the info, decided on Deserts Edge RV Park, availibility and location matched needs. Can't make Quartzsite this year, traveling FEB 12-15, maybe next year, D.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #12

Good deal, I tried to send you about 50 miles in a different direction.

If you have a free Sunday afternoon, you might want to checkout the Maricopa Live Steamers Adobe Western Railroad. It is about 3.5 miles from your campground. Free train rides. Also have model railroad layouts in garden, HO and N scales. We went there a couple of weeks ago, very impressed.

www.maricopalivesteamers.com