Pittsburgh to Las vegas and back in 3 months - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
we have a 16' scamp we just purchased in august. we are new to camping but have camped 6 times since we purchased the scamp. I have added a 2000 watt inverter to the scamp and another class 27 battery.plan on purchasing a honda 2000 generator soon. some of the campgrounds we stayed at had full hookups and some have had no hookups at all. it was nice to have the hookups but also nice to have the seclusion at the campgrounds that had none. well we are planning to travel from pittsburgh to las vegas next summer starting in june and finishing up the end of august. we have 7 or months to plan this thing so i was wondering where to start like books to read web sites to see. suggestions on sites along the way anything to help us get started. thanks in advance
Tom/pa
Tom Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
we have 7 or months to plan this thing so i was wondering where to start like books to read web sites to see.
I always start with "Triple A", since we are members. I go in to our local office to get a supply (free with membership) of Camping Books to locate campgrounds, and Tour Books to give info on areas of interest. We also use their "Trip-Tik" route planning service.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I love trip ticks... Too bad I'm not a member any more.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
I love trip ticks... Too bad I'm not a member any more.

Even non members can use AAA.com to draw out your route on line.
You won't get the detour and construction stuff, but it will get you started. There is a tool to help look for campgrounds.
We have the AAA RV membership and had to have the van & 77S13 towed last spring. It pays for itself. We did not pay a cent. Had to spend the night in the Scamp in the garage parking lot plugged into the sign. But, they took care of us.
And we were on the road again first thing the next morning. But we did miss the event. Bummer.

Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Thanks folks
I went to the aaa site and am impressed. I do think I'm going to sign up for the aaa plus rv policy. The free route planner is cool, been playing with it the last couple days.
Tom Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Had to spend the night in the Scamp in the garage parking lot plugged into the sign.
And it is obvious that you laugh about it and re-tell the story with mirth. You don't get an anecdote like that by staying in hotels.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote