Planning a trip to Kanab, UT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Planning a trip to Kanab, UT

I love that area of the West, and this will be my first trip through with a trailer! Anyone have any favourite places to camp there?

There's a 4-day practical I have to do in Kanab, UT for my small animal massage course, so I thought I'd pick up my mom and 'head for the hills!'

I'd love to hear any recommendations for places to stay in/around Kanab the end of July.

Thanks!
Auchtober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
We do a lot of camping in Utah. I have to warn you, though, that it's going to be bloody hot there in July. The temperatures can be as high as 110 degrees, so if you have pets along for the ride, make sure you don't leave them unattended in your camper or car.

The Coral Pink Sand Dunes park is the prettiest park in that area, but it's about a 40 minute drive from Kanab.

Lake Powell is probably the best camping near water. It's about one and a half hours away from Kanab.

If you're willing to drive that far, however, you might as well go to St. George. They have the Sand Hollow State Park and Quail Creek State Park. They are both beautiful, fun, safe to swim and Sand Hollow even has hookups.

Hope that helps. Remember to wear sun screen, bring a hat and expect to be HOT!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Kate

Laura's suggestion is the one I was going to suggest, Coral Pink Sand Dunes. We are staying there for a week in May. there are hikes near Bryce Canyon National Park, camping on the road to Bryce on the East side. Go over to Zion National Park one hr. drive from Coral Pink Sand Dunes.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
The campground suggestions above are great - but if you want to be in town for your course there are a few RV Parks that I've listed below. If your course is at Best Friends, I think that they have a few spaces for campers (if you don't already know that).

Hitch-N-Post
1-435-644-2142
East of town.
Kanab RV Corral
Good Sampark, totally renovated. No grass, located on main thoroughfare. 1-435-644-5330. Southeast of town
Crazy Horse Campground
1-435-644-2782
East of town
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

Washington
Oh thank you!! It is at Best Friends, and I did not know they had a few spaces, so I'll definitely call them and ask first. The second choice I had near town was Hitch-n-Post, so I think I have my A, B and C plans (coral pink sand dunes).

Thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
How about a Plan D? Consider camping at Jacob Lake, AZ or thereabouts. Elevation 7900 ft (escape the heat!), versus about 5400 ft at Kanab.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramoncur View Post
We do a lot of camping in Utah. I have to warn you, though, that it's going to be bloody hot there in July. The temperatures can be as high as 110 degrees, so if you have pets along for the ride, make sure you don't leave them unattended in your camper or car.

Hope that helps. Remember to wear sun screen, bring a hat and expect to be HOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
How about a Plan D? Consider camping at Jacob Lake, AZ or thereabouts. Elevation 7900 ft (escape the heat!), versus about 5400 ft at Kanab.

Both Laura and Mike are correct, it can be very hot there! IMHO, Wicked Hot that time of year.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Washington
Boy I sure like the sound of Plan D - but I do need to be at the Friends of Animals for 4 days to complete practicals. My mom currently lives in Tucson, and I used to - so part of the reason for planning a July trip there was to "enjoy" a summer week I will have my two labs with me, so that's part of the reason to take my mom, so she can hang out with the pooches while I'm finishing my class up.

These are fabulous things to think about and perhaps I'll change my strategy about when to take the practical - i MUST camp in Southern Utah this year though!!

I really appreciate all the information
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Kanab to Jacob Lake is only 37 miles. I was thinking you'd be able to leave Mom, dogs and trailer in the coolness all day and return there yourself after your daytime stuff was over. But I guess if you wanted to be able to duck into the trailer several times daily, it wouldn't work.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

Washington
Ohh i am LOVING that idea My guess is that I'm going to be pretty busy throughout the day so no real time to duck in. Thanks!! I'll take a look at some reservations.