Pot hanging bar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Pot hanging bar

Wife bought set of T-fal cookware for trailer. Only place for that stuff is in the original box under the bed. BUT this little rail from 1/8" aluminum flat stock and some standoffs and hangers from the Kitchen Store and at least she has a place for the stuff when we're stationary and using it daily.

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5636.jpg   DSC_5640.jpg  

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #2

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
That looks great! What did you use to attach it to the fiberglass? I'm concerned about how and what to use with the double walled fiberglass.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
When I looked at the title of the thread, my first reaction was :

"OK, I know some states are liberalizing some laws, but..... "
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
When I looked at the title of the thread, my first reaction was :

"OK, I know some states are liberalizing some laws, but..... "
Yeah, me too!! Hanging that pot to dry, right?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Delaware
Tina, I intended to use the smallest plastic "toggle" (acts similarly to the spring-loaded steel toggles) but has an external flange and usually after the wings are spread behind the wallbd or whatever, it stays in place. I bought 3" #10 sheet metal screws because these toggles are not threaded for machine screws and a #10 appeared to have the correct diameter for the toggles. I did not use them because the flange was much smaller than the 1-1/8" aluminum round bar which I used for standoffs. I didn't think with the flange the standoffs would have full bearing on the wall and I didn't have a counterbore to drill a central cavity in the standoffs for the toggle flange. I finally decided after spending an "extra" sixty cents on the toggles that I would simply use the sheet metal screws and see if they held. They did indeed hold very well probably because I used a very small pilot hole thru the glass inner wall. The inner liner varies in thickness but averages about 3/16" so it will hold screws with a reasonably fine thread. I will provide this caution in case you try something similar. My bar is very near that molded in bunk support (your Burro 14 has the same molded-in feature both sides of the front dinette) or whatever it's supposed to be. I made sure the standoffs were below the lower radius of that stuff but there were still some "vagaries" in the wall which made one of the standoffs cant downwards. I cut a rubber hose washer in half to shim the lower side of that one such that all three appear to be square to the wall. I could also have ground the base of the standoff at the appropriate angle but it was only one and quite easy to just add the shim and retighten the screw. As for the distance between shells, I think it must be a minimum of 7/8" in that area as I didn't sense that I was "jacking" the inner wall away from the outer with the screws and no holes in the outer shell. I commend the foresight that compels you to take thought about such things before doing them!

jack
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
nice looking, and practical.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I like the idea of having a bar to hang my pot...er POTS from. Just having trouble finding a sensible place to mount it.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #8

Delaware
Maybe "wasted" wall space that hasn't been coopted for anything else. Believe me, that's where I located mine but every trailer has a different configuration and of course if the thing isn't reasonably near the stove it's not much more convenient than pulling pots and pans out of a box under the bed.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's not hard to see when someone likes to camp and cook!

I don't think I own that many pans...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #10

Delaware
I wasn't consulted about acquiring new sauce pans. I foolishly thought that old, beatup pans would do. My wife has always been fascinated by the idea of creative cooking but she has also been known to observe that the daily slinging of hash pales by comparison. I try to remember that there is a paradoxical connection between a closed mouth and full stomach.

jack
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I wasn't consulted about acquiring new sauce pans. I foolishly thought that old, beatup pans would do. <snip>
Always get the best pans you can afford. If you're cooking over a campfire beat up stuff may do. If you're cooking over a stove, got for Good Things. Good Things includes a well seasoned 8" cast iron frying pan. Yeh....T-fal and its fancy-pants brethren have their points but in my book nothing beats cast iron. At home we have a good half dozen of 'em next to the stove ranging from 4" to over 12"...plus some specialty ones for doing things like Swedish pancakes and grilled steaks.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #12

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Yeah the only reason I want a pot bar is that I have a lot of specialty cookware I like to use. Cast iron fry pans and dutch oven are number one for durability and performance over a camp fire or on the stove. Heavy pots are definitely the best. I have a thick german made titanium frypan, a wok, a flatbread pan, Stockpot, and a 3 quart pot. Plus I would like to hang some utensils.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #13

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
I travel,as some might think,heavy.But I do 99% of my camping boondocking....twin 27 batteries...twin 20 # lp.But it is kinda nice to have extra kitchen gear when needed.And you never know when your neighbor might stop over to ask..."Excuse me,but by any chance would you have...( fill in the blank)".
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote