Prairies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Prairies

I'm planning a trip from Ontario to the prairies with stops to visit family in Winnipeg, Man., Regina, Melville and Ituna Sask. I've never camped west of Sudbury. I would greatly appreciate suggestions/recommendations from people of places to visit and camp in that part of the world. I'm just now starting to plan but googleing is a poor second to experienced egg campers. Thanks so much...
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #2

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Lake Manitou in Saskatchewan not far from Saskatoon. A salt lake with spas, beautiful little village, with a resort like atmosphere but without the thronging crowds.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Rene, thank you for Lake Manitou. Been many years since i've been to a drive-inn.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #4

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Nic. We pass through there once in a while on trips to Manitoba. Yes the drive in would be a treat. Not many around.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do not know if you will make it to Alberta, but there is a UNESCO site there, Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump in Lethbridge where the native americans would corral buffalo to a cliff where they would fall to their demise. Very interesting place.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pukaskwa National Park Ontario is nice as is the Lake of the Woods area - cant recommend a campsite there though as I normally stay at a family cabin, but I suspect that there are a lot of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
The National and Provincial Parks we have stayed at in Manitoba have all been pleasant.

In SK you have plenty of spots to choose from - only one National Park in the south (and it doesn't do camping). Provincial Parks info is available online. Again, the standards are ok. There are also Regional Parks - way too many to mention by name.

You might enjoy browsing "A User's Guide to Saskatchewan Parks" by Michael and Anna Clancy. ISBN 978-0-88977-198-7 . You should be able to find it at your Library or bookstore.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Lake Superior Provincial Park Agawa C.G. has great views of the lake. It is a long narrow c.g. between the highway and the lake. You can hear and see the road. It has electrical hookups at some sites but you will need a very long cable at least 50 ft. Has showers and laundry. Camping fees are on the high side > $40. The views of the lake are to die for.

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
There are numerous private or provincial campgrounds all along highway 17 or a short trip off of it. Most towns have one or more in or nearby. Wawa, Nipigon, Thunderbay, Atikokan are a few that come to mind. Use your friend Google.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote