REDWOODS here we come? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
Thumbs up

Hoping to go to the Redwoods, FORTUNA CALIFORNIA, there are several campgrounds, we love more secluded areas and we love the water, hoping someone out here has been to any of these or could suggest a good place to camp...
Humboldt Redwoods state park, Van Duzen County Park, Grizzly Creed Redwoods State Park, Richardson Grove State Park, Patricks Point State Park.
I also have a request for a "really big tree" from my daughter but i thought that was what the redwoods were all about.

Thanks in advance.

Valerie, Myranda, Tova and Munch
Valerie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jedediah Smith Redwood SP is MY FAVORITE. Just remember this time of year, in the Redwoods it's going to be damp.... even if it's not raining. But that beats the Mosquitoes any day!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Jedediah Smith Redwood SP is MY FAVORITE.
And it isn't on the Governator's hit list so it might be open when you get there.

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/BudgetSumm.../FG-RES-01.gif

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Jedediah Smith Redwood SP is MY FAVORITE. Just remember this time of year, in the Redwoods it's going to be damp.... even if it's not raining. But that beats the Mosquitoes any day!

Is there a particular site that is most beautiful over all the others???
Valerie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Is there a particular site that is most beautiful over all the others???
When traveling north of Orick get off of the new 101 and follow the old US 101, now called the Newton B. Dury Scenic Byway. The new 101 was built to keep the big trucks out of the tall trees. The new 101 is steep and not very interesting. The Newton B. Dury will bring you through some of the most impressive redwood groves including the "THE BIG TREE" in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.

My favorite winter redwood campground is Elk Prairie Campground located on the Newton B. Dury Scenic Parkway in Prairie Creek. Besides the huge trees, the Roosevelt Elk should be out in the prairie adjacent to the campground. You should be able to observe the social behavior of the young bulls as they try to steal the harems away from the old bulls. Usually by this time of year the old bulls are tired of trying to maintain their herim and the younger boys sometimes take control. Ask the ranger at the small ranger station in the Elk Prairie Campground to see the 120 sixth-grader tree. The hollow, but still living redwood can hold 120 students inside it. Elk Prairie Campground was the shoot location of most of Spielberg’s film The Lost World", the sequel to Jurassic Park.

Unhook your FGRV at Elk Prairie Campground and take a day trip up to Howland Hill Road near Hiouchi. The little dirt road through the tall trees was once a stage line between the gold fields near Grants Pass and the port of Crescent City. The one-way road begins just east of the town of Hiouchi near Jed Smith State Park. Along Howland Hill Road stop at Stout Grove. Spielberg’s shot the chase scene from "The Return of the Jedi" in a private redwood grove just north of Hiouchi.

As always, the rangers know all the good spots. So stop in at the ranger stations in Orick and Crescent City. A fellow FGRVer, Susan Davis, (Bullards Beach 2007, Trillium 13 foot) is a ranger at the Crescent City visitor center.

Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
A couple of interesting things to see around Orick is the Kuchel Visitor Center at Redwood National Park and the Lady Bird Johnson Grove off Hwy101 at Bald Hills Road. Jay mentioned the Big Tree on the Circle Trail.

Short and Easy Nature Trails

Lady Bird Johnson Grove — This easy, one-mile trail follows an old logging road through a mature redwood forest. This trail is wheelchair accessible and not far from Orick and the Redwood Information Center. The trail's parking area is reached via Bald Hills Road.

Fern Canyon Trail — This 0.7-mile loop is well-named: The hiker is treated to a display of many fern species. The trail connects to the James Irvine Trail for a longer hike. The trail takes off from the Coastal Trail not near Gold Bluffs Beach, which offers a campground.

Circle Trail — This short 0.3-mile trail provides a walk near the Big Tree, one of the largest trees in the park. The trail head is close to the Prairie Creek Visitor Center.

and if you're into the Tourist stuff there is Trees of Mystery gift shop, and in the town of Klamath they have a 'drive-thru' tree (I think it was $5 a car)
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Valerie,
Great advice so far. We found Trinidad to be a great central location. Picturesque little harbor town near Patricks Point State Park. We stayed a a wonderful little RV park right across the street from Patricks Point called Azalea Glen (ask for a spot by the pond where an otter came to visit everyday). From there we could go north to the sites in the Orick area or south to the Avenue of the Giants. Have fun, beautiful area, can't wait to go back!

Happy Trails,
Kathie (& Dave)

Attached Thumbnails
Trinidad_Haror.jpg   Patrick_Point.jpg  

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #8

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
oops - forgot Azalea Glen

Attached Thumbnails
Azalea_Glen.jpg  

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Valerie,
Great advice so far. We found Trinidad to be a great central location. Picturesque little harbor town near Patricks Point State Park. We stayed a a wonderful little RV park right across the street from Patricks Point called Azalea Glen (ask for a spot by the pond where an otter came to visit everyday).
That's a beautiful area. Just south of there is Clam Beach, where dogs are allowed off-leash once you are out of the parking lot. And you can go eat at the Trinidad Eatery, where my daughter works! (Ask for Melia- like M'Leah.) The elk were right by the road just north of Patrick's Point when I came through earlier this month.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote