Robert Moses State Park, Massena, NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Robert Moses State Park, Massena, NY

Boy folks, this is not a good place to go unless you don't need showers.

We got there Wednesday afternoon, but lack of signage has us driving all over the place looking for registration. We are there along with my brother John & sister-in-law Nancy in their 40' motorhome. We pre-registered through reserveamerica, as it is a state park. John & Nancy get there first, only to find there is someone else on their 50 amp site who, as it turned out, had been there 4 days without the camp management knowing. Of course, they were not at camp, so John had to park their rig at another site till they found the folks.

Thursday morning I go to take a shower and it's not even lukewarm, chilly is more like it. Gail goes to take a shower and it's too hot for her even to get under it! This is of course all in the same building. The next day we're off to some events in Ontario and I want to be clean and shaven, so go take a shower and it is ONLY cold. Holey moley! When I get out there is a cleaning guy doing toilets, and I ask him about the showers. He tells me they've been having problems with them for two weeks! Friday morning, same deal, cold shower.

Very poorly run park, the worst state park we have ever been to in NYS. We will not go back there. Beware!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi Frank, Got to go to a few NYS parks, since we are one state down. Maybe around Sept. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm... That's what a lot of us call "The Camping Experience"...LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We went there once Frank a few years ago. Had a reservation, checked in, went to our site after driving around some through the campground. Parked, looked around, got back in the car and left and went to Fish Creek.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Name: Neal
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Welcome to NY, burger flippers are making more than some state workers now.
ncarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I guess it hasn't gotten any better. We stayed there a couple years ago. Nothing better than driving around for half an hour so you can spend another fifteen minutes filling out forms. At least you got the instate rate. You do have to admit the tunnel under the lock to get in is interesting. There was a ship in the lock when we left. Raz

Found some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1607671109.jpg   image-2164716109.jpg  

image-1927239431.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We stopped there for 1 night on our way from Kancamagus highway to North Bay last year, but didn't make reservations since you had to book 2 nights with reservations. The office was closed when we got there, so we had to figure out where to camp for the night. No signs that we could find about what sites might already reserved, or how to find and pay for your site.
We finally parked in one of the many vacant sites, just hoping that no-one would be knocking on our door after we set up informing us they had reserved that site.
If we were dishonest, we could have just left early in the morning before the staff arrived, but we stuck around til they opened and paid for the night.
Seemed like it would have been nice if we were staying longer with reservations, but we wanted to hit the road. No ships passing through when we looked. :-(
Best news is that the showers worked fine when we were there, which was a luxury after spending the previous 2 weeks at National Park and NFS basic sites.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you Frank for the info. As a New Yorker who camps in state parks, I appreciate the deferral as opposed to the referral to this park, if I said that correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I lived in Massena and went to HS there. You can camp at the AMVETS campground near by.. They allow non vets in now and I dont think you would be disappointed.
Massena has kinda gone down hill the way of many small towns that have been bypassed by interstates. Sad but true.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm from Watertown so until they brought up the 10th Mountain Division to Ft Drum, wAtertown was also in major decline.

Now it's all spiffed up and the army says they're gonna pull some 35-40 thousand troops out of there. That's gonna kill the economy, which for a long time now has been on the upswing.

I'm a veteran so good to know about that park, although I usually head straight to westcotts beach at Henderson harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote