RVing in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
RVing in Canada

We will pick up our new Escape 19 in British Columbia in June. Then we'd like to continue on into BC and spend at least a month there.

But the options are so many that it's bewildering. There are hundreds of parks and we have no idea which ones we would want to camp at.

Can anyone give us some guidance? We have already found websites like bcparks and parkscanada.

We don't even know where to start.

Bewildered
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Good chance to head up the Cassiar Highway. Loop up to Watson Lake and then back down the main Alcan.

I've gotten across borders with no delays. I tend to pick crossings that are less popular. My last trip I crossed at Osoyoos, BC (above Omak, WA) one direction and crossed at Portal, ND the other direction.

A few years ago I crossed at Sumas, WA, very long delays, awful.

Coming back into the US this summer from Canada, they ran all the RVs through a crane mounted Xray machine. Looked temporary, something seemed to be going on. It was not the place to ask questions.....

I would definitely ask Escape for recommendations on camping close to the factory. Spending several nights there to thoroughly check out all the systems is prudent with any new trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I wonder if you're new to rv-ing. The fact that you're asking this question seems to suggest you are. My suggestion is that you spend a moment researching what you can bring across the border each way. Border crossing horror stories are rare but not unheard of. My personal mobility is somewhat hindered and I just don't want to risk it since most of the stories I've heard are related to customs emptying the trailer for inspection and putting it all back together would be a nightmare for me.

I don't have any advice wrt Canadian camping sites. Although the 2019 Calgary Stampede is in early-ish July (7/5-14/2019). Campsites near there probably go fast.

Consequently I have no interest in dealing with border crossings, plus there are still plenty of places in the U.S. that I want to visit. But that's all on you.

Process-wise, on long trips I do a lot of planning before I leave. As contrasted to the "go where the spirit moves you" philosophy. I drive a day then stay a day. I pick a spot about 300-400 miles away (about my limit for a day's travel, being a solo traveller), search for points of interest (for the rest day) then find a convenient campground in the area and make a reservation. I repeat the cycle as required. Sometimes I toss in an extra rest day for whatever reason. Usually to put some slack into the schedule. I'm just not comfortable leaving the overnight stay up in the air. It just ramps up the stress for me. YMMV as they say.

Otherwise, I think you're on the right track asking for ideas from the group.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Well for a start you could pull into our driveway and camp.
Keep in mind the Okanagan Valley is very hot in the summer.
The Kootnays offer wonderful camping.
Bug can be a problem in the north.
Remember, Do not bring any Firearms.
Gas price is high but your Dollar goes a long way.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
A few years ago I crossed at Sumas, WA, very long delays, awful.

Since the trailer is delivered to Sumas, and the OP will have just crossed after orientation, I think they can just turn around and head back into BC.
The question isn't border crossing, it's where to camp and what to see.

If you haven't already, I'd check out: https://www.hellobc.com/
Old 12-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
I did the great northern loop last year in early June. By the time I finished the bugs(mosquitos, horseflies, and no seeums)were so bad I stayed in a motel my last night! The first ten days were very pleasant but then the heat hit and the bugs came alive. It was awful.
I think the Rocky Mountain area at high altitude may not have the bugs.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
So, what kind of country do you like? Mountains, Oceans, Prairies?

In central BC is an restored old mining town/provincial park called Barkerville.
Very interesting.
When you stop … it's an all day walking tour … be sure to disconnect the trailer umbilical from the TV, to avoid running down your battery. OR, switch the fridge to LP. We didn't and had to get a jump to get going again.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Since the trailer is delivered to Sumas, and the OP will have just crossed after orientation, I think they can just turn around and head back into BC.
The question isn't border crossing, it's where to camp and what to see.

If you haven't already, I'd check out: https://www.hellobc.com/
Yes, my response in more in regards to Steve's comment about avoiding border hassles.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Name: Gary & Jona
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Florida
I would suggest maybe going onto campgroundreviews.com and reading peoples posts on the website about the campgrounds. They will have post about most all of the campgrounds you might want to stay at. I would not consider any that have not had any reviews for the current year or two and read with a grain of salt. Not all people are looking for the same things. We stayed at one on the Alcan that we love and and stayed a few times on our Alaska travels but I assure you it was not because of the bathroom or showers i would not have showed a dog there but the rest of the campground and location on the lake was outstanding. Slim pickens in some areas but the travel is breath taking so enjoy the time and be safe. Thanks Gary
Old 12-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinderman View Post
We will pick up our new Escape 19 in British Columbia in June. Then we'd like to continue on into BC and spend at least a month there.

But the options are so many that it's bewildering. There are hundreds of parks and we have no idea which ones we would want to camp at.

Can anyone give us some guidance? We have already found websites like bcparks and parkscanada.

Bewildered
Any campground in BC is beautiful. The provincial parks are very nice but have no hookups. Liard Hot Springs is a fun and relaxing place. The campground is very large. The campgrounds in the Okanagan Valley are pretty. The town of Kelowna is not my choice of cities. It is congested, lots of liquor establishments and just a large busy expensive city. There are a few places to go and see stuff if you want to fight the above. If you go up to the ice fields you can stay at the campground in the parking lot. Not a nice campground but a very fun and beautiful place. I'd recommend Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper National Parks and campgrounds. The no hookup parks have dumps, water, nice bathrooms with showers, etc. There is enough to do in those places to keep you busy for many days. There are hookups in some of the parks but they cost a lot more. No matter what you like you can find it in BC. Crossing the border keep all meds in their original bottles, don't take drugs, guns, stun guns, large knives, bear spray, etc. Check out what foods are not allowed like raw pork and eggs. When you cross the border have your passports ready and follow all instructions such as red or green lights at the booths. Don't try to chat. Only answer questions respectfully. If you have a pet take their info with current proof of rabies and other vaccinations. Following these things will make your trip a completely fun and special vacation.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #11

Registry
I would make a trip to Liard Hot Springs park as well, spend a couple of nights. I would make advance reservations, it was full when we were there in July 2018.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinderman View Post

Bewildered
There re a lot of beauty spots here but everyone has their own take on beauty. what type of camping are you interested in, IE-ful hookup, boondock, close to cities or far from.
what do you want to see? how many miles? Do you like to drive?
Hard to give you ideas without some more input.
BUT!! IMO the Kootenays are the place to be, but I'm just a LITTLE prejudice.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
So may great places to camp. I've camped in all 10 provinces including Labrador but hardly ever in a campground.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #14

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
I did the great northern loop last year in early June. By the time I finished the bugs(mosquitos, horseflies, and no seeums)were so bad I stayed in a motel my last night! The first ten days were very pleasant but then the heat hit and the bugs came alive. It was awful.
I think the Rocky Mountain area at high altitude may not have the bugs.
What is The Great Northern Loop?
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
First of all, virtually NO Government sites in BC are 'Hook-up', and Provincial Parks are pricey, for what you get. If you're up for 'Dry Camping', best values are BC Forestry Recreation Sites (FCFS, if 'Managed' low cost, if 'Non-managed' might be free) For info: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...g/sites-trails. My personal fav is McCulloch reservoir/Hydraulic Lake, only 40 minutes from home (mostly paved), inexpensive (as I'm a 'senior'), simple (I'm self-contained), but it can be crowded on weekends.

Hint: DO NOT try to bring firearms (or any concealed weapons) into Canada, it will cause you heartache, and headache. We are a sovereign country, and have different rules.
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post
Hint: DO NOT try to bring firearms (or any concealed weapons) into Canada, it will cause you heartache, and headache. We are a sovereign country, and have different rules.

Those rules do allow you to bring firearms into Canada. Just look up the requirements at Canada Border Services.
Bear spray ( not mace ) is also allowed across the border, if it is properly labelled and intended for animals.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:05 AM   #17

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Camping and visiting BC crossing at Sumas WA

OK since you asked for a little direction I will offer up some of our real life experiences as I have a bit of time to write this holiday. You will be picking up your Escape either in Chilliwack BC where they are built or in Sumas WA. If you want to come back to BC to explore this huge province that California, Oregon and Washington can fit into and still have room to spare then the Sumas border crossing is easy. Its the main crossing for those Alaska bound. No fear at all if you're not bringing guns across but stock up on fuel and liquor in Sumas as its cheaper than BC. So you have a new RV but you need to break it in yet stick close to Escape factory in case you need to tweak something.

Head north to Mission BC then east on Hwy 7 to either Kilby or Harrison River RV campgrounds on the Harrison River which will be less than one hour from Sumas WA. Dry camping will be Kilby Historic Site (google it - all info is there) you will have a very lovely RV campground on a flowing glacial fed river, a Historic site with museum, a lovely restaurant with sumptuous food and down home Canadian hospitality. If you cant get into the Kilby campground (which is hard even for locals!) check in across the highway 10 mins away at www.harrisonriverrv.com campground with full hookups. You can still enjoy the Kilby site as a daytrip. Day trips to scenic Harrison Lake (30 mins) and Hope BC are a must.
By now you're getting familiar with your Escape trailer. To avoid the bugs of the interior in June you need to head west to the coast. Drive to scenic Horseshoe Bay and take the drive-on ferry to Langdale - Gibsons. Reservations are recommended. You will be landing on the Sunshine Coast. Your ferry cost is minimal compared to the fuel you'd burn driving everywhere inland. With trailer it will cost you about $200 cdn but the fare also covers return or fare for the next ferry we'll discuss soon. Check this out on www.bcferries.com

Its a 50 min incredibly scenic ferry ride. You will land in Gibsons (take a left at the light off the ferry and eat at Molly's Reach), then head north to Davis Bay and Sechelt then onward to on Pender harbour then Madeira Park. Turn left at the PetroCan gas station is the Madeira Park but aim to get there while there's still light as the road to the campsite is all paved but twisty. John Henry's Marina and Resort on Garden Bay is where you will stay. Don't embarrass yourself by asking how much it will cost to camp here. with your high flying US dollar you will likely have enough change in the cracks of your seats to cover it. The marina has mostly US flagged yachts but they have 4 RV spots on the water and 3 of the sites have full service. You will have killer sunset views, rent kayaks if you want, no bugs, local café and pub and you will likely send me a gift certificate to thank me. Now I've told the RV world my secret Madeira getaway and I will regret this I know.
If you feel more adventuresome head to Skookumchuck Narrows and watch the kayakers ride the incredible tidal rapids. Check out You Tube videos on this natural phenomena.

You may decide to head back to Sumas WA at this time or continue on your BC Coast adventure by heading north to the next ferry at Earl's Cove and head over to Powell River. (this is free as you paid the return fare already remember?)
There are many RV spots around Powell River but we have not camped there - just day visited from Madeira Park.
Make sure you drive to Lund which is the end of the road. Killer fish and chips and nice walking village on the water. By this time you're 2 weeks into your BC holiday. You can either head back to Sumas WA now or keep going onyour BC adventure by heading west to Vancouver Island in which case you will to...
Take the ferry from Powell River to Nanaimo (Vancouver Island). From here you can head north to Port Hardy (incredible charter fishing up there), south to Victoria or west to Tofino. I've never done this trip before but everyone tells me to go to Tofino. If like trees, mountains and ocean beaches then go the quaint town of Tofino. If you want to see Victoria the capital of British Columbia that oozes old world charm then head south. Lots of RV campgrounds around Victoria, Sooke and Jordan River on the Juan de Fuca Strait.

From Victoria you have 2 options: take a ferry back to BC Mainland then head east towards border crossings or board a US ferry and head south to Port Angeles WA on the Olympic Peninsula. Route 101 starts up here and Rialto I've been told has fantastic beaches and a nice RV spot. On your way there you might need to find Lyre River Campground (WA State Forest managed) its free dry camping.

If you choose going east back to Sumas WA border crossing then take the (2 hour) ferry to Tsawwassen (Vancouver area) Look for Highway 17 East for a quick route to Hwy#1 East and the exits to border crossings. You will have a choice of Route 176th Truck crossing, or Route 264th Aldergrove - Lynden crossing or the Sumas WA crossing you came through. Stock up on food at the Co-Op on North State Street Bellingham. The best Italian restaurant ever is D'Annas Italian on State Street.

You might need a nice campground in Bellingham so go to Larrabee State Park. GPS Chuckanut Drive and Larrabee Park will be on your right. The views of the San Juan Islands from this drive are spectacular.

You will want to explore Bellingham and Whatcom County from this campground if you have time. I've often told my American friends that Bellingham is the lower 48's best kept secret. My family in California is finally getting it and they are selling out and moving up. Lynden seems to be the go to town right.
I've just given you some ideas to get you researching.
All the best. I will respond as I have time.
Tony
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #18

"Take the ferry from Powell River to Nanaimo (Vancouver Island)."
I believe that's Powell River to Comox.
https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/...pr-current.php
Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 AM   #19

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Yup ferry is to Comox

Glen is right on.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #20

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Bewildered

Tony,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. It is appreciated as are all of the replies on this great forum.

We have two years RVing in our Scamp under our belts so we're not virgins. But we don't know much about RVing in Canada, thus my plea for assistance.

In the States, we usually camped in national forests or parks with the occasional overnight at Walmarts. We've also done our share of dry comping.

I've read that camping on Crown land is very common but for foreigners one needs a permit issued by the province. Yet nowhere can I find out WHERE to get one, either brick and mortar or online. Any help there?

Also, we've done well getting into national parks and forests in the US by just showing up early and getting a FCFS spot. Are similar opportunities available in Canadian parks?

Again, thanks to all for your replies.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
OK since you asked for a little direction I will offer up some of our real life experiences as I have a bit of time to write this holiday. You will be picking up your Escape either in Chilliwack BC where they are built or in Sumas WA. If you want to come back to BC to explore this huge province that California, Oregon and Washington can fit into and still have room to spare then the Sumas border crossing is easy. Its the main crossing for those Alaska bound. No fear at all if you're not bringing guns across but stock up on fuel and liquor in Sumas as its cheaper than BC. So you have a new RV but you need to break it in yet stick close to Escape factory in case you need to tweak something.

Head north to Mission BC then east on Hwy 7 to either Kilby or Harrison River RV campgrounds on the Harrison River which will be less than one hour from Sumas WA. Dry camping will be Kilby Historic Site (google it - all info is there) you will have a very lovely RV campground on a flowing glacial fed river, a Historic site with museum, a lovely restaurant with sumptuous food and down home Canadian hospitality. If you cant get into the Kilby campground (which is hard even for locals!) check in across the highway 10 mins away at www.harrisonriverrv.com campground with full hookups. You can still enjoy the Kilby site as a daytrip. Day trips to scenic Harrison Lake (30 mins) and Hope BC are a must.
By now you're getting familiar with your Escape trailer. To avoid the bugs of the interior in June you need to head west to the coast. Drive to scenic Horseshoe Bay and take the drive-on ferry to Langdale - Gibsons. Reservations are recommended. You will be landing on the Sunshine Coast. Your ferry cost is minimal compared to the fuel you'd burn driving everywhere inland. With trailer it will cost you about $200 cdn but the fare also covers return or fare for the next ferry we'll discuss soon. Check this out on www.bcferries.com

Its a 50 min incredibly scenic ferry ride. You will land in Gibsons (take a left at the light off the ferry and eat at Molly's Reach), then head north to Davis Bay and Sechelt then onward to on Pender harbour then Madeira Park. Turn left at the PetroCan gas station is the Madeira Park but aim to get there while there's still light as the road to the campsite is all paved but twisty. John Henry's Marina and Resort on Garden Bay is where you will stay. Don't embarrass yourself by asking how much it will cost to camp here. with your high flying US dollar you will likely have enough change in the cracks of your seats to cover it. The marina has mostly US flagged yachts but they have 4 RV spots on the water and 3 of the sites have full service. You will have killer sunset views, rent kayaks if you want, no bugs, local café and pub and you will likely send me a gift certificate to thank me. Now I've told the RV world my secret Madeira getaway and I will regret this I know.
If you feel more adventuresome head to Skookumchuck Narrows and watch the kayakers ride the incredible tidal rapids. Check out You Tube videos on this natural phenomena.

You may decide to head back to Sumas WA at this time or continue on your BC Coast adventure by heading north to the next ferry at Earl's Cove and head over to Powell River. (this is free as you paid the return fare already remember?)
There are many RV spots around Powell River but we have not camped there - just day visited from Madeira Park.
Make sure you drive to Lund which is the end of the road. Killer fish and chips and nice walking village on the water. By this time you're 2 weeks into your BC holiday. You can either head back to Sumas WA now or keep going onyour BC adventure by heading west to Vancouver Island in which case you will to...
Take the ferry from Powell River to Nanaimo (Vancouver Island). From here you can head north to Port Hardy (incredible charter fishing up there), south to Victoria or west to Tofino. I've never done this trip before but everyone tells me to go to Tofino. If like trees, mountains and ocean beaches then go the quaint town of Tofino. If you want to see Victoria the capital of British Columbia that oozes old world charm then head south. Lots of RV campgrounds around Victoria, Sooke and Jordan River on the Juan de Fuca Strait.

From Victoria you have 2 options: take a ferry back to BC Mainland then head east towards border crossings or board a US ferry and head south to Port Angeles WA on the Olympic Peninsula. Route 101 starts up here and Rialto I've been told has fantastic beaches and a nice RV spot. On your way there you might need to find Lyre River Campground (WA State Forest managed) its free dry camping.

If you choose going east back to Sumas WA border crossing then take the (2 hour) ferry to Tsawwassen (Vancouver area) Look for Highway 17 East for a quick route to Hwy#1 East and the exits to border crossings. You will have a choice of Route 176th Truck crossing, or Route 264th Aldergrove - Lynden crossing or the Sumas WA crossing you came through. Stock up on food at the Co-Op on North State Street Bellingham. The best Italian restaurant ever is D'Annas Italian on State Street.

You might need a nice campground in Bellingham so go to Larrabee State Park. GPS Chuckanut Drive and Larrabee Park will be on your right. The views of the San Juan Islands from this drive are spectacular.

You will want to explore Bellingham and Whatcom County from this campground if you have time. I've often told my American friends that Bellingham is the lower 48's best kept secret. My family in California is finally getting it and they are selling out and moving up. Lynden seems to be the go to town right.
I've just given you some ideas to get you researching.
All the best. I will respond as I have time.
Tony
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin