Salton Sea camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Salton Sea camping

I'm planning on a spring break tent camping trip to Joshua Tree national park and was planning on swinging by the Salton Sea state park for one night. Have any of you folks camped there in a trailer or tent? What are your impressions of the area, is it worth a overnight stay or is a day trip sufficient?
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There is a two page article in the December 2011 issue of Woodall's Camping Life magazine about the Salton Sea. It is mostly about kayak camping but does have some info. Maybe you can look it up on Camping Gear - Camping Destinations - Camping News - RVs & Trailers - Camping Life Magazine. Was it also mentioned in the book "Into the Wild" ?? Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We were in the Salten Sea in May of 2010 on our southwestern trip and it was so windy there we were glad to get on the road the next morning, we pulled in at night and nobody was around so we stayed in the parking lot. We left the next morning for Joshua Tree. I think we would have enjoyed it if the wind had quieted down.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I drove through a few areas around the Salten Sea looking for a camping spot in November and all I can say is the movie Armageddon came to mind..... perhaps I was just on the wrong side of the sea ........ loved Joshua Tree though! I drove up towards Joshua on the Box Canyon Road and that was a real interesting drive.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...all I can say is the movie Armageddon came to mind... perhaps I was just on the wrong side of the sea ...
I've been to the South end of the Sea in Imperial County and believe this might be where Carol is speaking of.
Slab City comes to mind near Niland, California.

I understand that the North end in Riverside County is the nicest part, But I haven't been there myself.

Salton Sea Authority - Camping
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #6

Registry
I was on the west side and I think it was called the Sulton City/North shore area that I went through - actually wish I had taken a video...... lots of burned out old trailers and homes etc.....

Saw lots of suff like this
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Thanks for the experiences and info. Leaning towards a day trip from Joshua tree to Salton Sea then staying in Palm springs overnight instead.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #8

Registry
If you are looking for a place to stay the Lake Cahulla Co. Park in La Quinta is a nice little park beside a man made lake. Its a good spot for sight seeing - only a couple of miles or less from the old and new town of La Quinta, less than an hour from Palm springs and if I recall the Salton Sea wasnt that far off either.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
About 4 years ago I drove around Salton Sea and checked out the visitor center, as well as Fountain of Youth RV Park and hot springs. The Sea has an interesting history, but isn't very attractive. The water level is dependent on agricultural run-off varies quite a bit. It can be buggy, stinky or littered with dead fish. I took my dog for a walk along the shore near the visitor center and that was reasonably pleasant in February. I stayed at Cahuilla Lake with a group that trip. I intended to go back to Fountain of Youth the next winter, but didn't ever do that. Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree are better.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote