Sandspur Bahia Honda FL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
Sandspur Bahia Honda FL

Has anyone actually camped at the Sandspur campground in Bahia Honda? They state on their website "a few (sites) will accommodate small pop-ups. RV's over 14 feet in length are not permitted in this area." We have a 13. I did call but they said only pop ups tried to explain what we had but they seemed confused.
Going to try to get reservations but don't want to get kick out after we get there.

Thanks!
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I think to get to the pop-up tent area at BH you have to cross under the road bridge which has limited clearance. I don't know what the height limitation is.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Per the FloridaStateParks website, you might be OK. Your camper height must be under 8 feet. Here is what the website says:
"Sandspur (sites #49-72) is located in a hardwood hammock. The sites are small and have low clearance. Tents can easily fit on all of these sites; pop-ups and small campers less than 14 feet in length and under 8 feet in height are also allowed. All sites have picnic table, grill and water. Sites #57-72 also have electricity. The waterfront sites are #64-72. Due to limited space in this campground only one vehicle per campsite is allowed, overflow parking is available in Sandspur day use area. There is no dump station in Sandspur, guests may use the one located at Buttonwood campground."
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I seem to remember camping there in the late 70's with my Trilli 1300, and again later with a full-size van. Unless they have put in some kind of bridge whith a height limit, you should be OK. Some of the sites are tight and won't accomodate large (long) vehicles. I may even have pix of my trailer there somewhere (paper not diital).
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Two words of caution. Bahia Honda is an incredibly beautiful spot. You will enjoy it very much. Just be ready for the potential of some wicked mosquitoes. We pulled in on a sailboat once and literally dove in the water to get away from them. The other is that jellyfish will run their seasonally for about 2 weeks. I can't remember the season but it makes swimming very difficult when they are about. Its all made up for by the incredible view and bridge exploring you can do.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hi Cindy,
John in Michigan has the correct information. The Sandspur waterfront sites are the only ones worth getting, in my opinion. You will need to book 11 months in advance unless you are lucky enough to get a cancellation. Have you considered Long Key State Park? All of the sites are waterfront so you have a better chance of getting one. There is noise from US 1, but we do not have a problem with that because we use AC or MaxxFan so we don't notice road noise at night. Another great camping spot is Everglades National Park (Florida City area), with Long Pine Key being our favorite campground there. No electricity or water at the site, but they are building showers (may be completed by now). Beautiful hiking there, and you can rent canoes. This campground does not accept reservations but you can call them to ask if spots are available.
In addition to giant mosquitoes and jelly fish, you can add alligators and snakes to the Florida camping companion list! Not to mention iguanas, raccoons, land crabs, no-see-ums and bears!! Come on down!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
"... you can add alligators and snakes to the Florida camping companion list! Not to mention iguanas, raccoons, land crabs, no-see-ums and bears!! Come on down! "

You can add coyotes to that list as well!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

North Carolina
Thanks all for the input! I think we are going to keep trying for the Sandspur and hope we are just to cute to kick out! Lol. We tried this morning and they said on the site we picked "no campers over 14", so i think we are good.

There is a bridge with limits on one of the campgrounds within Bahia.

We are also looking at Long Key. I think this will be my favorite too. Looks a little less busy.

I'll check out the Long Pine Key. I'm ok with all the critters! (Well maybe not spiders!) Lack of electric is good too since we have solar. As long as it's not 90!

We are planning for February so hopefully mosquitos will be a little less.

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
Cindy, the "bridge" you're talking about (going under) leads to the cabins and some primitive tent only camping. We drive over that way (of course without the camper) to watch the best view of the sunset. You would not be able to (or even want to) go that way with the camper in tow.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

North Carolina
Letitia, which area of BH do you camp in?

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Cindy,
Over the years.....
We have camped in all the areas, from the cabins to RV sites to tent camping.
If you can get one of the waterfront sites in Sandspur, you will most likely be very happy, especially if the sea grass is not high. That being said, we have found that the shore line can change drastically from one day to the next! But if you are planning to kayak, I'm sure that would be nice (way too cold for Florida natives to go swimming!!). We also really enjoy watching the shore birds....usually there are many at Sandspur, including a sea gull who sits on a pelican's head, hoping that just caught fish will somehow pop out of the pelican's mouth. Always a show!
2011 Eggcamper #106