Schoodic pennisula closed to RV's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Schoodic peninsula closed to RV's

We're just back from a trip to the Maine coast which included a trip to Acadia National Park. Most of the park is on Mount Desert island but there is a small portion on the main land called the Schoodic peninsula which features a wonderful drive along the Maine coast. As we have in the past we made a trip over to this section of the park only to discover the Park Service no longer allows RV's on the road. They have built a new campground at the start of the drive and all RV's are directed there. You can leave your trailer in the lot or camp for the night. They also are providing a bus, perhaps for those with all in one campers. Having no interest in leaving the trailer in a parking lot, we left. There is no notice of the change at the main park although I did find it mentioned on the web site after a little digging. I thought I'd warn folks so they can plan accordingly. Progress, I guess. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
I believe the reason for it is because the roads are narrow and one way in and out. There is a turnabout up on the overlook, but then again it would be difficult with a large RV. Mostly for cars and hikers. Schoodic is a beautiful place, but really not the place For a big rig.
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Rita. I'm not sure we are talking about the same place? As I recall the road is two lanes in one direction similar to the road on Mount Desert Island. We had no trouble navigating either with our 13' Trillium last year. Perhaps they are trying to fill their new campground. It's quite nice. Electric and some with water. No showers though.
Attached Thumbnails
1465756915213.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I pulled my Escape 17 to the point (some photos) in 2013 on a trip to Nova Scotia...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote