Sherman Pass, Sequoia NF - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I know we have a few people here that spend time in the Sherman Pass area. I just spent 2 days up there looking for a fishable stream. Just wanted to let you know that most of the streams are dried up and the few left are not much more than trickles. I spoke to a Ranger and he said this is one of the driest years he has seen.
If you don't want to fish it is a great area. I know this is cliche, but it truly is Gods Country.
I may go back up there for a few days. When I got home this afternoon it was 108 on my front porch and it's supposed to be 111 by Friday. I doubt it will be to hot at 9000 feet elevation.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Glad to hear there are still some area around Sherman Pass that wasn't damaged by the Manter fire. A lot of the places I used to go to in that area just looks bad and I haven't had the heart to go there for a couple of years. As for water, I didn't kayak the upper Kern this year at all. It's flow is down to 180cfs! My relatives have seen so little of me this year they actually drove to Ojai to see me. As for fishing, some of the creeks above Holey meadow off some of the dirt roads were flowing in June, but I'm afraid you will have go north for much water. Jenny lakes wilderness area creeks were flowing very well. Stay out of the heat and lets hope for a dull fire season.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
On a plus note, with less water equals less mosquitos. I usually stay a week during hunting season at Boone Meadow fire safe area with my trailer. It's right next to Trout Creek but now is probably called Trout Trickle? Mike
Attached Thumbnails
boone1.JPG  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
lets hope for a dull fire season.
AMEN to that!

Lets hope for a NO fire season!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
So you guys are having a drought, too, eh?

It's really, really bad here in the Southeast. A few weeks ago I went on what was supposed to be a great waterfall hike on the Cumberland Plateau in middle Tennessee. There were supposed to be three impressive falls on the trail. The first one was completely gone--even the creek was nothing but a dry bed. The second one was a mere trickle. The third one was in great shape, but only because it's cave fed.

<div align="center">
Click image for larger version

Name:	Falls_Trip011.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	8689
</div>

<div align="center">This waterfall was just a ghost of its normal self.</div>
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
On a plus note, with less water equals less mosquitos. I usually stay a week during hunting season at Boone Meadow fire safe area with my trailer. It's right next to Trout Creek but now is probably called Trout Trickle? Mike

Mike, I was at Boone Meadow a few days ago. Your right Trout Creek is just a triclke. I saw a big brown bear on the road to the fire safe area. I explored just about every dirt road off the main hiway from the Summit to Troy Meadows.
I have lived in Bodfish, Lake Isabella, for almost 2 years and this is the first time I have spent any time in the Sherman Pass area.
I have not appreciated the sights and the beauty that I have in my own backyard.
The attached photo is taken from 9200 feet elevation, you can just see Mt. Whitney in the background, 42 miles away.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Sherman_Pass_001.jpg  
Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We spent the weekends of June 8th and July 6th in Troy Meadows campground. Fish Creek was half the size it usually is at this time of year, fishing was still good though. I'm hoping for some lightening less (ha ha) summer afternoon thunder storms to dampen things up a bit. It was of course dryer than we have ever seen it.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
We spent the weekends of June 8th and July 6th in Troy Meadows campground. Fish Creek was half the size it usually is at this time of year, fishing was still good though. I'm hoping for some lightening less (ha ha) summer afternoon thunder storms to dampen things up a bit. It was of course dryer than we have ever seen it.
I spent one Day at the Troy Meadows Campground, the rest of my time in the area was in the boonies.
Troy Meadows Campground has to be the nicest, cleanest, most well cared for FS campground the I have ever seen.
I am going back up in that area in a couple of weeks with my quad runner as there are many FS dirt bike and ATV trails in the area.
John