Skidaway Island Georgia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Skidaway Island Georgia

Does anyone have experience at Skidaway. Looking for a best site suggestion. Camping in 23.5 Oliver next month.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You can not reserve a specific site at Skidaway, they assign it to you when you get there. That info is on Reserve America. You can only specify if you want with or without sewer hookup. We reserved for the first 3 days in March after we leave Jekyll on our way back north.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Last I knew they don't even assign you a site. They book sewer sites until all gone and non-sewer sites until all have been reserved. When you arrive, they tell you to go find a site of the type you reserved. I wouldn't want to arrive after dark and try to find an open site.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

New York
I'm sure Carl is correct, we have never been there, just heard from others that have.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Skidaway is a nice park. Most of the sites are large and well spaced. There is septic at some sites. Water, electric, and cable at all sites. There is a "planned" community just east of the park with a great library where you can purchase used books at a very reasonable price. The park also has inexpensive laundry facilities. Georgia state parks offer a senior discount to non-residents. Be sure to ask.

Carl is correct, you select either septic or non-septic and drive through the park to pick out an empty campsite. You cannot reserve a specific site.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Florida
Thanks all. I made a reservation at Skidaway for the last week in Feb. I like the fact you pick your site on arrival.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

New York
David, where is your camper parked in your first post, is it a campground?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
where is your camper parked in your first post? I wondered the same thing, very pretty spot.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

Florida
It is a pretty spot, but not a camp ground. We live here andtook the Ollie tothe beach for some fun on a beautiful Winter day. This shot is inside the Gulf Islands National Seashore about 5 miles East of Pensacola Beach at a public parking area. The Gulf is behind me and I am facing the Intracoastal waterway. There is a National Parks camp ground at Fort Pickens which would be 15 miles West of this location on the very tip of Santa Rosa Island, which is an excellent campground. The old fort is a treasure and there are interesting historical digs in progress. Right across from the beach with n the ICC on the other side.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
For those of you traveling on 95 through GA, IMHO a neat place to stop is Sapelo Island. Makes a nice little day trip. You take a boat out to the island and they give you a tour of the Island. The University of Georgia Marine Institute is located there. (My old work place!) it's a beautiful boat ride though the marshes an the beach is a rare site with no development.
http://gastateparks.org/ReynoldsMansion

Also St. Simons island is also a beautiful visit if you have time. Christ Church, Fort Frederica, East Beach and a light house. Eat at Barbara Jeans (Save room for chocolate stuff!!) Bike paths also on the island.

Have fun!

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #11

New York
You can only visit Sapelo if you are on the tour or as a guest of a resident. The estate formerly owned by Richard J Reynolds (Reynolds Tobacco) is there. We hired a resident for a private tour. He had worked in the kitchen For Reynolds when he was a kid. Most everyone out there is related and descendants of slaves. A lady named Yvonne usually drives the tour bus. She also makes sweet grass baskets and came to the campground on Jekyll last year to teach how to make them. She also has a cookbook she wrote. We had a very interesting time out there. Our guide's truck wouldn't start out in the boonies and we almost missed the ferry. St Simons is now in a big fuss over future development, proposing a moratorium. Also considering a fee for beach parking. We ate at Southern Soul last year and liked it. We are now wintering on Jekyll. Occasionally eat lunch at Willies Weenie Wagon in Brunswick, great pork chop sandwich there.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
Willies is the best!! Pork Chop sandwich and Sweet tea! We always stop there! I lived on St Simons the first time in '85 it was perfect. It's sad to see all the growth but I still love it!
Have fun in Jekyll. It's a beautiful island too. Great place to ride bikes!

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Thanks all. I made a reservation at Skidaway for the last week in Feb. I like the fact you pick your site on arrival.

Yuh, unless it's heavily booked and you arrive after dark and have to find the one or two open sites in the darkness. Personally, I would rather be able to reserve a specific site and know exactly where I am going to be when I get there. If you go with a group, you may be dispersed and Skidaway is an expansive campground. And the showers leave something to be desired. No separation between the shower area and the dressing area so the water runs on the floor to where the dressing part of the stall is. All in all, it is a beautiful place and Savannah is a lot of fun, but I personally like Alabama's state parks better than Georgia's. Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville is really great, and the wash rooms are air conditioned. They are not at Skidaway and if you are there in the summer, well, it's hard to dry off after taking a shower.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #14

Florida
Skidaway Island Georgia

We are headed to Georgia next with reservations at Skidaway State park. This is not a site specific park so you just cruise around and pick a spot. if someone has been there and has a preferred site I will appreciate some feedback. I have a full hookup reservation and will be in my 23.5 Oliver.

Also, does anyone have favorite things to see and do in Savannah GA? It will be chilly so I don't see us hanging around the campsite for five days.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #15

New York
We'll be there for the first time March 1. We have previously stayed at the campground on Tybee. Want to eat at Miss Wilkes in Savannah. We have done a couple trolley tours in Savannah, train museum near the visitor center, market square, riverfront area, and Fort Pulaski and the lighthouse and fort on Tybee. Heard they have made site improvements at Skidaway, but only the non sewer sites.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Florida
Registry
Lots to do in Savannah. It is a fun place. Cold or not, go to Leopold's ice cream. Mrs. Wilkes for lunch. Take one of the bus tours. Moon River Micro Brewery. River street and the shops. The Bonaventure Cemetery. The Pirate House. The sites where parts of Forrest Gump were filmed. The list is long.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We took a carriage ride to The Old Pink House for dinner, if you ask they'll give you a tour of the place. We didn't have full hookups at Skidaway so can't help there. Did some hiking along the causeway out to Tybee and just generally wandered around the town checking out the homes.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #18

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
I was born in Savannah, and have a few suggestions for you. There are a lot of well known tourist places to eat, and several that may not be so well known that are fantastic. Try to include Williams Seafood Restaurant if you can. It is on the way to Tybee Island. In my mind one of the best seafood restaurants ever. The shrimp boats doc on their very own dock. Johnny Harris BBQ is fantastic. It is easy to find on Victory Drive... lovely with lots of old mansions, miles and miles of azaleas, palm trees, moss covered old oaks on both sides and down a wide median on a five mile drive. Doing a drive or buggy ride for the old historic downtown area of the city near the river is a must do. Leapold's ice cream parlor is an old favorite of locals. Bonadventure Cemetary is also covered in azaleas and beautiful old oaks, as well as historic markers. You might not want to mention the infamous book about the murder and resident of the Mercer House....not if you do not want to be shunned. Natives of Savannah are not real happy about that book. The River Wall of course can be fun, but very much a tourist spot. Ft. Pulaski will entertain you if you are Civil War buffs. Just ask the locals very very politely....they have started to consider themselves part of the union again recently I hear.
Elizabeth Nevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #19

Florida
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will give a report when we return.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #20

New York
We look lost on this siteATTACH]80846[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg