South dakota travel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
South dakota travel

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem is telling tribes to take down road checkpoints they had set up to keep out unnecessary visitors because of concerns over the coronavirus.By Associated Press, Wire Service Content May 8, 2020, at 6:50 p.m.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
And I believe the tribes have refused. Treaty language is pretty clear about the Native rights, but we know how treaties have been ignored when beneficial to one of the parties.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Native American reservations are considered domestic dependent nations. When on any reservation, everyone, including non-natives are subject to tribal laws as the tribes are self-governing. While the SD governor may petition the Federal courts, the governor has no executive authority over what happens on the reservation. And it is doubtful that the Federal Courts will override tribal sovereignty because of the minor inconvenience to through traveller’s resulting from the Sioux Nation’s attempts to protect their citizens.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
South dakota travel

That is true, except when a state-funded highway is built on Native land, the tribe enters into an intergovernmental agreement. Activities relating to the highway, including the right to set up checkpoints, are governed by that agreement and typically require approval by the state transportation department. Our tribal police set up DUI checkpoints all the time. A COVID checkpoint shouldn’t be an issue unless the state is choosing to make it one.

I live on a state highway on tribal land in Arizona. Like South Dakota, the local community has been disproportionately affected by the corona virus. I heard talk that the tribe wanted to set up roadblocks but ran into the same obstacle. So far they have not pressed the issue. They have closed tribal recreational lands to all entry (even members), which keeps most non-tribal members out of the area.

In South Dakota's case, it's anybody's guess who will win the court fight if it comes to it (if I had to bet, I'd favor the tribes in federal court). In my opinion, though, the governor will lose in the larger courts of history and popular opinion if she presses this. It is an inconvenience if the highway is a major cross-state transportation route used by through traffic. For the affected Native communities it is life and death.

This will be interesting to watch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
The legality and court issues are well beyond my scope of knowledge. However my respect for our native people and their life on the reservation is something I have experienced many times. My feeling is always that if someone doesn’t want me around them, I don’t want to be around them. So short of closing major highways, I’m sure I can get by detouring around reservation ground and driving straight through without stopping or getting out of my vehicle should not be a problem. As long as you watch the gas gauge, hammer down and carry on.
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
The Corona virus has run rampant through native American communities, killing a highly disproportionate number ... so they need to do whatever they can to cut that rate down, and highways be damned. They should tell any governor in the way to..."Kiss off, Governor."
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #7

Iowa
Hi Myron
Here’s a map of reservation lands in South Dakota. With the major
Attractions in South Dakota being in western South Dakota and the state being criss-crossed with state and Federal highways, I can’t see much reason to need to enter reservation towns or impact the Native American population. So if someone feels the need to journey to South Dakota or visit the Black Hills and the Badlands I doubt there will be a significant impact on their travel plans.
https://images.app.goo.gl/euFvYCWQmfK5mZqT9
Iowa Dave
Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Having traveled through the area last year I think that the State should respect the native Americans rights on their lands. Go around and leave them alone if that is what they want.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #9

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Sure wish our democrat governor would let us camp in WA State!!
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
gwc

Name: Gary
Trailer: Burro
Washington
wish Wa. Gov. would let us camp?

He will. Had strong feelings about closing down the hiking trails but after thinking about it, it's a temporary inconvenience.....Maybe excessive but also maybe effecting others well being. Who am I to think I know more than our elected leaders & professionals as well as the rest of the world's restrictions.
gwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
Sure wish our democrat governor would let us camp in WA State!!
Would you rather be Wisconsin? OMG what a crap show they have going over there. Annie's Camping in Wisconsin just announced "No masks allowed" and that anyone wearing a mask will be treated as a robbery suspect. YIKES!!!!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Would you rather be Wisconsin? OMG what a crap show they have going over there. Annie's Camping in Wisconsin just announced "No masks allowed" and that anyone wearing a mask will be treated as a robbery suspect. YIKES!!!!
Being a resident of Wisconsin, I can assure you that we will rectify the problem as soon as we sober up .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Being a resident of Wisconsin, I can assure you that we will rectify the problem as soon as we sober up .
LOL, I would expect the Annie's camping attitude from a bank but my gosh it's a friggin campground. Lots of people who are traveling cross country will be staying there. What if they catch covid 19 and pass it along to all the other campgrounds along the way. Very scary and very selfish.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Rest assured that we will not be camping at Annie's Campground!

CindyL
Old 05-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #15

Iowa
The good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Fortunately this is a small minded commercial campground owner who will be allowing potential carriers into their office. Enough exposure and the owner should be bound to get a good strong bingo. And about the bank robber comment, the proliferation of weapons toting idiots in the upper Midwest, Iowa included, as well as Wisconsin, Michigan etc ought to make for a nice shootout some Friday night when the Fallflat beer has been flowing for a couple hours.
“ How did you get all those buckshot holes in the side of your Montana? “Oh I was in the crossfire at the third shootout at Annies Camp Ground after the Church service Sunday morning”. More bleach needs added to Annie’s gene pool.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #16

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Dave, you're killin' me.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
SD and US 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem is telling tribes to take down road checkpoints they had set up to keep out unnecessary visitors because of concerns over the coronavirus.By Associated Press, Wire Service Content May 8, 2020, at 6:50 p.m.
Does anyone know the current situation with SD travel? I'm looking to head west via US 12 which goes through reservation land.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Just avoid it. Take I-90. Going through reservation land even without coronavirus takes some planning, i.e. where do you find bathrooms, gas, food, camping. I speak from experience. We have volunteered on Pine Ridge Reservation almost every summer for the last 20 years.

CindyL
Old 05-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The Governor has told them to remove the roadblocks and the Indians said Make US. I haven't heard what the Federal Courts have to say yet. After all they are a nation and have treaty rights (of course we have abrogated those many times).
The answer either way is go around and respect their wishes.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I drove through part of Pine Ridge reservation on SD-73 on Sunday, but didn't stop at all... didn't see any roadblocks... or people at all really.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote