Southern family wants to see snow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
Now that we have a camper and are no longer tent camping we can do some Fall/Winter camping some place other than Florida. What would be some recommendations from the group for some good off the beaten path Fall/Winter camping? We are planning on camping the week of Christmas and would possibly like to see some snow, we were think upper Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina area.
remington850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...and would possibly like to see some snow.
Here at the bottom of the left coast, the trendy Christmas Gift is to hire the local dry ice company to cover your yard in shaved ice.

OK, I'll go back to my room, now...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Park low, drive to see snow on day trips..

I vacationed with my trailer last year over XMAS. Great time to go! No one is out there, at least, not in the campgrounds. I think I'll do it again this year. The weather.. er, good luck.

I have no idea where in the south you could see snow tho.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
We are planning on camping the week of Christmas and would possibly like to see some snow, we were think upper Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina area.

Many years ago, when I was a youngster, our family lived in Ohio and one of my fathers favorite place to camp was in the Smokey Mts.. I can't remember where we camped but looking back it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
If you have young ones they will go nuts in the snow. Their feet, fingers and face will be almost blue and you will not get them to stop playing in the snow.
I live in California now, and I am the only one in the family that is willing, or crazy enough, to take the grandkids to the snow in the Sierras. I even get this old body of mine of inner tubes or snow saucers and play with the kids. Take plenty of clothes, shoes and gloves for the young ones as they will be getting wet. The best and cheapest snow toys are old inner tubes that hold air.
If you have kids and they have never seen or played in snow they will always remember next Christmas.
In the eastern Mts. I don't know if you can park low and drive up to the snow as Gina suggested, buy if you can it is a good idea.

Good luck and have fun.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Darin, you should be able to find snow on the ground somewhere in western NC / eastern TN around Christmas without too much trouble. Whether you can time your visit to be here when its falling down might be a bit iffy though. Nothing much prettier than the white stuff coming down along a forested creek if you don't have to live in it full time is there?

What kind of amenities do you need? If you can do without hookups, there are several spots in Nantahla and Pisgah National Forests that are really nice with a snow covering.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
I would suggest that you head to West Virginia. We like to stay at Watoga State Park. I think they are open year round. You are a short drive from Snow Shoe Ski Resort and they will definitely have snow.

Kathy
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Now that we have a camper and are no longer tent camping we can do some Fall/Winter camping some place other than Florida. What would be some recommendations from the group for some good off the beaten path Fall/Winter camping? We are planning on camping the week of Christmas and would possibly like to see some snow, we were think upper Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina area.
The Smokies are great, and it does snow there a lot in the upper elevations. However, if you want to pretty much assure yourselves of seeing some snow without driving all the way to New England, then I'd have to second the suggestion of West Virginia. Their state park system is absolutely wonderful, too. The closer you are to the Cheat Mountain area, the more likely you will be to see snow.

My wife took this photo of me on the summit of Gaudineer Knob. We were staying at Seneca State Forest in the early Fall three years ago. During the night it snowed on the summits over 4,000 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Gaudineer_Knob0002.jpg  
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hope you find the snow, it can be elusive, especially when you want it on a particular date. the kids will really like playing in it if it is on the ground and even more if there are heavy, wet big flakes falling and melting on their tongues.

(if you are going to be in the snow somewhere, may i camp in your driveway? have spent all day looking for a place to go where it is warm. it is all the way up into the 50s today and i am wearing 2 pair of wool socks two shirts and a wool sweater and am freezing.)
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I tried for weeks to find a place in Mn to camp last weekend and came up with NOTHING open. In the north you won't find a place with snow where you can camp unless it is in Wally-World's parking lot. Yep, try those mountains, and camp below them so you won't freeze.
Having winter here most of the year and the campgrounds open only about 4 months of the year, I too would like to park in your driveway (but I have to work so can't do it)
We notherners want to head south to avoid that snow.
Dreaming of a GREEN Christmas here.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
[
karalyn, my house will be empty. you can stay here if you like. sure warmer than your place and is like a vacation resort with walking trails and a warm fireplace to come back to after your walk. and a slot machine place in charles town. and a train into washington d.c. once a day so you can see the sights. the only problem i have with it is that it gets COLD!!!!!!!
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!
You wanna see some snow your welcome to come up to Maine for Christmas.
I will try to keep an area clear to park your camper or you can just stay in mine.
I never minded the snow but it's the cold that comes with it although in December it hardly ever gets down below the 0 degree it is in January and February when the temps go down to20 - 30- 40 below the 0 degree and you can hear the trees snap just from the sap freezing that I do not go to far from the wood stove
But yea, the way the snow hangs onto the pine tree boughs it makes for a winter wonderland in Maine.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:43 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!
You wanna see some snow your welcome to come up to Maine for Christmas.
I will try to keep an area clear to park your camper or you can just stay in mine.
I never minded the snow but it's the cold that comes with it although in December it hardly ever gets down below the 0 degree it is in January and February when the temps go down to20 - 30- 40 below the 0 degree and you can hear the trees snap just from the sap freezing that I do not go to far from the wood stove
But yea, the way the snow hangs onto the pine tree boughs it makes for a winter wonderland in Maine.
Gerry

Ya, you southerners get all the snow. I speak from N45.18