Spotted - Nest destroyed by fire - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Spotted - Nest destroyed by fire

Airstream Nest UVW is 3300# with batteries and LP. GVWR is 4000#. That makes it roughly 25% heavier than a Casita 17D.
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...pecifications/

Yes, Airstream dropped Robert Johans’ original monocoque chassis in favor of a traditional steel chassis, which doubtless increased the weight compared to Johans’ prototype. But I’m pretty sure redbarron55 was referring to the use of molded fiberglass for the shell. It created a steep learning curve for a company that has long built trailers a different way.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
But a large section of the shell is missing! Right on the corner, too, with a lot of sharp detailing in the mold. Both upper and lower halves are damaged. Total loss.
I have friend who had the whole left side of his Scamp 5er ripped open and the axle torn from the frame. They totaled his truck and tried to total his Scamp. He had it placed on a flatbed and delivered it to Scamp.
They repaired it and you can not find a flaw inside outside or underneath.

I wouldn't write off that Nest just yet. Especially since a new one can retail for over $50,000.

Of course we haven't seen the inside.
Also I saw a 3YO Casita totaled with only a burned out A/C, some cushion damage, but mostly only smoke damage, when the A/C shorted out.
There was not even any discoloration on the shell.

I hope we hear from the owners.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps it's being towed to a transportation point so it can be sent back to the factory for a Forensic determination. We can speculate all we want, but who knows much of anything based on two pictures.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If I were Airstream I would be mostly concerned with why the trailer caught on fire.
Perhaps the section on the corner was removed by an Airstream person to get a good look at what failed and the cause of the fire.
I know I would be curious.
Perhaps the owner had it removed for the same purpose
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by k corbin)---
What is most surprising from a fire in a fiberglass structure is that the whole trailer was not destroyed.

Given its age it might also be an issue caused at the factory which means they might be held responsible. Quite the warranty repair!

From an article I saw on the internet they are being made in Jackson City Ohio.
---End Quote---

Since fiberglass does not burn, why would it be surprising?

Fiberglass will not burn, but fiberglass/polyester composite will happily burn vigorously and is one problem if making welding repairs to a Scamp frame. (ask how I know)
Fiberglass by itself is a little floppy for a trailer. the fiber glass gives the cured polyester the strength and the polyester resin gives it is "hardness" and shape.
Fiberglass/Polyester composite will burn quite well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #26

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
One of the pictures seems to show the fire damage starting at the right rear running light. I think the cut-out part was done by the fire department at the time of the fire, not later. I think you can see dried fire retardant foam on the roof and the back of the trailer.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #27

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Doesn't look too bad. A little Bondo and spray on a bit of gel coat and you will never know there was an issue!
Then look for it to show up on Craig's List for a "like new, used only once" price!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You mean they don't have "no smoking" signs on the toilet room door? See what happens when you forget that
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #29

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Whatever the cause, truly sad. Someone made a significant investment in future adventures. I just hope there was no physical harm to anyone, and that their adventures were only delayed, not destroyed.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Whatever the cause, truly sad. Someone made a significant investment in future adventures. I just hope there was no physical harm to anyone, and that their adventures were only delayed, not destroyed.
It is sad as you say and your hope that nobody was injured is commendable. It would be interesting to learn what the cause was. So many things can happen that you’re never sure when you see something like the burned camper going down the road on a flatbed.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote