Spring Camping suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Spring Camping suggestions

I am looking for suggestions. My daughter lives in the Okanagan and wants to go camping for Spring Break - late March early April. We have two weeks. We were thinking south of the border, (Spokane, Idaho area- straight south from Okanagan) not sure with the exchange rate if that is still possible.

What would be open at that time of year and what sort of weather can we expect? Most campgrounds do not open in BC until May 1. Will that be the same south of here?

We are on Vancouver Island, and have camped the Oregon/Washington Coast a couple of times. Could possibly do that again.

We have a Trillium and a dog. We don't usually hook-up, but have found an electric heater is safer, esp. as we will need the trailer heated a bit if we leave the dog for any length of time.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
I am looking for suggestions. My daughter lives in the Okanagan and wants to go camping for Spring Break - late March early April. We have two weeks. We were thinking south of the border, (Spokane, Idaho area- straight south from Okanagan) not sure with the exchange rate if that is still possible.

What would be open at that time of year and what sort of weather can we expect? Most campgrounds do not open in BC until May 1. Will that be the same south of here?

We are on Vancouver Island, and have camped the Oregon/Washington Coast a couple of times. Could possibly do that again.

We have a Trillium and a dog. We don't usually hook-up, but have found an electric heater is safer, esp. as we will need the trailer heated a bit if we leave the dog for any length of time.

Most of Idaho and eastern Oregon will be cold and possible snowy. The best bet is the Oregon Coast. The upper Willamette Valley will be cool at night but snow free. I've camped March and April both is the Valley and the coast. Pleasant, fun, and cool to down right cold.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Late March is too early for Spokane and central WA. I'd head down the coast. Lots of choices along the coast.

If you don't want to go far, Dungeness Spit County Park outside Sequim is nice, but no electricity. Salt Creek C/G nearby has utility sites.

Along the coast is typically wetter than the Sequim area.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Yeah, avoid Spokane/ID that time of year.

I just booked for over a month along the OR coast and down to Crescent City CA during the same time period. Lots of spots available at various campgrounds (although one was almost filled; maybe some rally going on, dunno).

I stayed at John Wayne RV park/resort last fall and it was decent enough with full hook ups right on the water in the Sequim area and you're close enough to the Olympic Peninsula area for sightseeing.

Good luck with your plans!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post

:try Fidalgo Bay Campsite open year round so they say, we have only been there with the Winnebago Club nice sites clean, good showers, Native owned and run by them also, your a short walk from Anacortes, WA lots of nice stores to shop in, not to far from BC border also close to Bellingham, Mt. Vernon, Seattle is only a 2 1/2 hour drive Bellingham even closer and a place we now like over Seattle and I5 is Everette, WA. Bellingham has a huge Costco across from Fred Myers just off I-5 at Bakerview Drive. I believe they have a big dog park there and in the town of Anacortes.
Might be possible to boondock south of the border as so many out of work living in RV's and cannot afford to pay rent so find places to park.
There is also the Cedars Campground with big spaces between each allotment lots of room for trailer and tow vehicle. This way your daughter does not have to drive a long ways. Remember our dollar to buy a US dollar costs about $1.35 so do the figures.
Personally what kind of camping do you want, you could go up through Summerland to the Old Summerland/Princeton road and work your way to Princeton and find a nice pull out and park for a few days and just relax, A good portion of the road about 32 KM's from end of pavement from Summerland is gravel then you hit pavement again into Princeton. If you take your time on the gravel then you will have no problems.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote