Springtime in Wisconsin - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Springtime in Wisconsin

I got the Scamp out of storage last week to do a couple of mods only to get snow again. In Wisconsin April snow is common and May snow is not unusual. While friends in Indiana are sending me pictures of flowers, I hope to flush the water system and have it ready for use in May, even if I am forced into camping in my own driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
04SNOW APRIL 2.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It’s 47 deg F here in NW Wisconsin and the local TV stations are running public service announcement about recognizing and treating heat stroke and heat exhaustion . Highs this weekend are supposed to be in the low 60’s so I’ll have to remember to stay well hydrated.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 19 Deluxe
Minnesota
Registry
We're in MN. The snow was melting off the Scamp roof today. I flushed my water system today and did a few other Scamp projects while the sun was shining. It only got to 47 but it was nice being out. We're looking at moving it closer to the campfire ring in our back yard. Maybe we'll stay in it this weekend.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Snow day wait no school anyhow

This morning in Eastern Iowa. Quit snowing about 7:00 AM. Melted away by mid afternoon. Soil temp in the low 40s, but supposed to be nice and warm next week. Redhorse suckers are running. Where’s my pickling salt? Robins look funny in snow, almost look p——ed off.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
9F215413-14D1-4D5B-BE76-660B684E2B5F.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I think I'm gonna pull the camper out of the yard next to the garage onto the driveway this weekend... after all, the grass might just think about growing sometime soon!
Steve Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I got the Scamp out of storage last week to do a couple of mods only to get snow again.

May I suggest "snow insurance" to resolve your problem in the future. Snow insurance works much like when you want it to rain. You wash your car.

In 2016, Idaho had the heaviest snow we have had in over 30 years. So I went out and bought premium snow insurance. The insurance has worked perfectly since then. We get less than an inch which is gone by noon. My insurance has remained parked, unused, in my garage ready to go right where I put it last fall.

Now, if it would just warm up enough so that I can put a good coat of wax on the new trailer gel coat to protect it. Following the recommendation of one of the threads on this site, I bought Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax for the job. My understanding is that I should wax the trailer every six months.

Is there any kind of insurance for warmer weather? It was down to freezing last night.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
May I suggest "snow insurance" to resolve your problem in the future. Snow insurance works much like when you want it to rain. You wash your car.

In 2016, Idaho had the heaviest snow we have had in over 30 years. So I went out and bought premium snow insurance. The insurance has worked perfectly since then. We get less than an inch which is gone by noon. My insurance has remained parked, unused, in my garage ready to go right where I put it last fall.

Now, if it would just warm up enough so that I can put a good coat of wax on the new trailer gel coat to protect it. Following the recommendation of one of the threads on this site, I bought Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax for the job. My understanding is that I should wax the trailer every six months.

Is there any kind of insurance for warmer weather? It was down to freezing last night.
If you have unwinterized your trailer then rewinterize it and it will warm up. That's the best insurance for warmer weather. That way you waste your time and money on the anti-freeze.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #8

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
May 2nd here in Jacksonville Florida and it was 91 today sunny and clear skies. Unlike you northerners around May is when we put our travel trailers up for the summer. Can't stand the summer heat so we go out in our boat or to the springs or the swimming hole.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Frost predicted at night for the rest of the week .
Hopefully it will get down to the low / mid 20’s and push the bug hatch off for a few more weeks .
Already looking forward to next winter or at least daytime temps in the 50’s
Old 05-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Oh my goodness frost in May. Where in Jacksonville as in North Florida by the Georgia border and it was 91 today
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Three Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Frost predicted at night for the rest of the week .
Hopefully it will get down to the low / mid 20’s and push the bug hatch off for a few more weeks .
Already looking forward to next winter or at least daytime temps in the 50’s
As usual my forefathers have an historic reference to mid May frost at this latitude, which closely corresponds with latitudes in Bohemia. We’ve always respected the legend of The Three Frozen Kings and plant gardens and annual flowers once the cold spell in Mid-May passes. That or get out our old sheets and blankets and decorate the yard. Question What is the Czech word for Mushroom including the elusive morel? Answer: Houby some say hoe bee others Who bee.
I say wash clean, dust with flour, fry gently in butter. Crack a Pilsner Urquell
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
As usual my forefathers have an historic reference to mid May frost at this latitude, which closely corresponds with latitudes in Bohemia. We’ve always respected the legend of The Three Frozen Kings and plant gardens and annual flowers once the cold spell in Mid-May passes. That or get out our old sheets and blankets and decorate the yard. Question What is the Czech word for Mushroom including the elusive morel? Answer: Houby some say hoe bee others Who bee.
I say wash clean, dust with flour, fry gently in butter. Crack a Pilsner Urquell
Iowa Dave
We always plant our garden on Memorial Day weekend and then wait for everything to start growing once it warms up .