Subaru and the HC1 to the High Sierras - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Subaru and the HC1 to the High Sierras

Kris and I went to Jackson Meadows reservoir in the Sierra's above Sacramento over the last few days. The lake is at about 5500 feet, but we went over Highway 80 which gets up the the high 6000's over the pass. On the way home we came up the old Highway 40 from Donner Lake. Attached is a photo of us in the turnout that seems to show up in all of the car commercials these days. We tried something new. We took the pram along and used it for fishing and setting crawdad traps. (kept a lot of the bug splats off the front of the trailer.) Had a great time, and the Subaru performed quite well. High 70's and low 80's in the mountains and 100 degrees by the time we got into the valley on the way home. (I wish I was back in the mountains.) The new transmission cooler and the TST tire pressure monitoring worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0117.jpg  
Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Great picture. Thanks for sharing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Looking
TN
Which Subaru ?

Sounds and looks like a great trip!

I can't tell from photo. Is that an Outback with the 6 cylinder engine? We've been looking at a new Outback and think the 6 is a necessity even if we don't pull a trailer. The 4 is too weak and noisy.
Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Sounds and looks like a great trip!

I can't tell from photo. Is that an Outback with the 6 cylinder engine? We've been looking at a new Outback and think the 6 is a necessity even if we don't pull a trailer. The 4 is too weak and noisy.
He's got the 4 cylinder. Check under his Avatar.

We've been pulling out Little Joe with a 2014 Outback 2.5i with the CVT. 1760 lbs loaded to go with a 170-180lb tongue weight. We're only pulling 2/3's of the Outback tow rating. (Did have to add trailer brakes.) It pulls the trailer very easily and we don't find it noisy. The CVT is great in the Appalachians. On the uphills all you notice is a gradual increase in RPM.

Tongue weight is the bugaboo on the Outback, but most 13 footers will go with it. Check Trailer Weights in the real world. Here is a link where you can download the up to date Excel file:

http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
Old 06-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
Kris and I went to Jackson Meadows reservoir in the Sierra's above Sacramento over the last few days. The lake is at about 5500 feet, but we went over Highway 80 which gets up the the high 6000's over the pass. On the way home we came up the old Highway 40 from Donner Lake. Attached is a photo of us in the turnout that seems to show up in all of the car commercials these days. We tried something new. We took the pram along and used it for fishing and setting crawdad traps. (kept a lot of the bug splats off the front of the trailer.) Had a great time, and the Subaru performed quite well. High 70's and low 80's in the mountains and 100 degrees by the time we got into the valley on the way home. (I wish I was back in the mountains.) The new transmission cooler and the TST tire pressure monitoring worked well.
Don you are having it to good out there , about as high as I can get around here is the old dump a few hundred feet up but at least it's been converted into a nice park
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Subaru and the HC1 to the High Sierras

There were a few times where I wished I had a few more horses under the hood, but the tongue weight is the real problem. Our tongue weight was at 170 this trip so I am careful to keep extra gear out of the rear of the car. Usually, with no boat, I even move the spare out of the rear and put it forward on top, along with a small BBQ. (Nothing says that the "Bybee Fun Caravan" is ready to roll like having the BBQ strapped on top of the car.). For now I am OK, but I am interested in seeing the new Subaru Tribeca replacement for model year 2018. Hopefully it will be spec'd a bit better for towing.

Don
Sacramento
Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Don,

On that trip on I-80 what would you say was the steepest leg. I am curious to know, as I too am towing with an Outback, and though I have traveled through the Appalacians an number of times, I want to go West soon and am interested in your experiences in the Sierras.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

California
Highway grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Don,

On that trip on I-80 what would you say was the steepest leg. I am curious to know, as I too am towing with an Outback, and though I have traveled through the Appalacians an number of times, I want to go West soon and am interested in your experiences in the Sierras.

Thanks.
I am not good at estimating grades. I think there were a few signs on the way home, at the top of the downhill grades, that said 6%. I was not paying careful attention. I did a quick search on line and I also have the attached site which may have some of this information. Seems like information that truckers would like to know.

Longhauler-USA - Longhaulers, Truck Drivers - Transportation & trucking resources

I think I got this website from a post on the Fiberglass RV forum. I did a quick review of it but did not find anything right off, but it is a huge site. Also, Caltrans, the state highway department, may have something.

If you would like to PM me with your contact info we could talk, which may be easier, and share info about towing with the Subaru and what you will encounter.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

California
Mountain Highway Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Don,

Thanks.
I just found this link.
Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers
It looks like it may have info on highway grades, but you have to purchase it. It does not look too expensive for the iPad version and there is a sample you can try out before you buy. I may give this a try as we are headed for Missoula MT and points beyond in about three weeks.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Looking
TN
Thanks. I read the item on my phone and there was no Avatar visible.
Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Thanks. I read the item on my phone and there was no Avatar visible.

Yes my Outback is 4 cyl with the CVT.

Don
Sacramento
Old 06-23-2016, 12:29 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
Yes my Outback is 4 cyl with the CVT.
I know little about the subject, but it is the CVT that I would be concerned about. There is not much history towing with those. Only time will tell.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
happier camper, hc1