Suggestions for Overnighter between San Diego and Death Valley? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: in the market
California
Suggestions for Overnighter between San Diego and Death Valley?

We're planning a trip to Death Valley National Park at the end of the month, and I'm not looking forward to doing the whole drive in one day. If we split it up, we'd be leaving home (San Diego) late afternoon on Sunday, headed up I-15, so I'm looking for someplace freeway-close, north of Riverside where we can basically just sleep. Not adverse to an RV park, but we won't be taking advantage of any amenities, so a truck stop or parking lot would work just as well - anybody have personal experience/suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
nancyrwolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you go up over Cajon pass through Victorville half way to Barstow on the east side you can camp in Stoddard Valley. Designated offroad park. Open desert can park anywhere. Oh and free.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
...Open desert can park anywhere. Oh and free.
If you would not mind, enlighten me on desert camping. Do you just pull off the road or what? I like the idea of it, but I'm not quite clear on the proper procedure; things to not do and such. Can you just drive across the land until you're out of sight of the road? The closest I've come to doing what I think you're talking about was in Canyonlands NP where we pulled off the pavement and went down a little dirt track for a while and just stopped. How would you know you're not trespassing. I don't want to get into a gunfight!
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

California
Stoddard Valley is a designated OHV (off highway vehicle ) area. There are several in the state. In these designated offroad areas in some of these areas you do not have to be on a trail or road. You can park and camp anywhere within its boundaries. You still have to follow restrictions as to firearms, fires and waste water dumping. National parks, forest service, BLM, state parks and national monuments all have their own rules and it is best to sit down and talk to them about access rules. Blm is really open public lands. There is a really good field office in Baker CA and if your in the area as in going into Death Valley you should stop in and talk to those folks. They are a real help in visiting Death Valley. These agency's are all touchy about fires make sure you have a fire permit. CAL FIRE - Campfire Permits
Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Nancy if you contact my son at happier camper he has a secure lot close to silver lake that he would be more than happy to let you stay at . Just pm me and I could give you details for directions. You may also be able to see the new HC1 trailer as the 1st prototype should be there at the end of the month
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #6

California
Mikmay, that's a very kind offer and we would love to see the new HC1 but I think we'll try to avoid greater-LA altogether and just head north on I-15 through Riverside, etc., so I don't think the Stoddard Valley is going to work either, stevebaz, but it's good to know about (and I'll check a map tomorrow). Thanks!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 AM   #7

California
My bad, stevebaz, Stoddard Valley OHV may be just what we're looking for - it's not where I thought it was, but is where we'd need it to be (if that makes sense). Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
RV parks near Riverside

Here is a website that rates RV parks in Riverside, the site also provides parks within 10 miles....
Riverside, CA Campground Reviews - Best of Riverside Camping - RV Park Reviews
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrwolfing View Post
My bad, stevebaz, Stoddard Valley OHV may be just what we're looking for - it's not where I thought it was, but is where we'd need it to be (if that makes sense). Thanks again!

Its just in the right place for your trip. You really want to get over that darn hill the first day. Sometimes it can be very trying to get over that hill. You really want to take that beating the first day. After that its pretty much good sailing.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you are leaving late on a Sunday, anyplace past Riverside will be in the dark before you get there, plan accordingly.

There is a regional park, with camping spaces, in Jurupa Valley, it's mentioned in post #8 above) just across the Santa Ana river from Riverside, you might think about. Take the I-215 for the first day to be close, then you can take the 60 west to get on the I-15, or stay on the I-215 until it joins the I-15.

BTW: What Hill? Cajon Pass is easy going up, it's the crazies on the way down that are scary.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

California
The pass is easy when it moves. One good accident, bad weather, bad day and your stuck. I'd much rather go over on Sunday night than deal with the traffic and crazy's on Monday morning.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #12

Name: joe
Trailer: shopping
Oregon
Years ago

Years ago, before I-15 went through, I would go up I-215 to I-10 and stay overnight in Camping World San Bernadino parking lot. There were other RVs there. I do not know if they still allow it. You would have to call them but they may not encourage it as Walmarts have stopped allowing overnights in most areas. I prefer driving up the Cajon Pass in daylight. Sunday night and Monday morning most traffic will be going south over the Pass.
joeculver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot
Slash X Cafe

If you stay at Stoddard Wells, head to the Slash X for breakfast. In the middle of nowhere a very cool place. I believe you can still camp out back too.
pete luchka is offline   Reply With Quote